PDA

View Full Version : strings for vintage gibson?

cutbait2
Feb-15-2005, 12:05pm
can anyone recommend strings for a vintage gibson? '29 AO
Thanks, BC

Darryl Wolfe
Feb-15-2005, 12:23pm
D'A J74

cutbait2
Feb-15-2005, 1:23pm
Thanks! My perspective was to not overload neck, bracing, etc. It's pretty darn good considering the age and that the neck is not especially big. and no truss rod. Thanks again. BC

keithd
Feb-15-2005, 1:59pm
I'm sure the experts will correct me here if I'm wrong...I suppose J74's may be heavier than the strings around when these mandolins were built, but I have found J74's to be the best sounding on my teens Gibson A. The worst that can happen is that the top will sink if the transverse brace is loose; check that the brace is secure, and things should be fine with the J74's (take out the end pin and peek through at the brace; shine a light in through the sound hole). Also, I believe the later O's, like your '29, will have a truss rod, just not adjustable, so, no truss rod cover.

Keith

danb
Feb-15-2005, 2:07pm
Yes, j74 (I think I PM replied you about this too, unless there were two such questions today!)

Saltgrass
Feb-15-2005, 2:27pm
Would J74's work on a 1916 F-4?

cutbait2
Feb-15-2005, 3:29pm
Thanks again guys. This is a sweet little box with a good tone. Plays great too. Someone has spent quite some time playing it as evidenced by the wear on the neck and strap marks. Finish is quite "crackled" but no cracks in the wood evident. What character. So the '29 AO does have a truss rod! Great neck shape. This my first old Gibson. May spawn a whole nother angle on the MAS.

Feb-15-2005, 6:16pm
J-74's. Always.

neal
Feb-15-2005, 6:54pm
I like the GHS silk & steel, but they don't last long. Presently using a set of Martin lights, ok, but next change I think I'll try those J74's Scott T sent me.

Jonathan Reinhardt
Feb-15-2005, 8:20pm
BC - If you have more than one mandolin, and you're already using J74s or .011s on the other(s), you might wish to try something slightly alternative. I use GHS A250s on an older A-50. These have a .015 A and a .036 G which make a set of tens feel and sound a bit bolder. If the .036 were a .038 they would be ideal. However, on a good mandolin, there is still good bass response. They are good for fitting well in non-bluegrass genres and play and last quite well. Comfortable to play, too.

rasa

fatt-dad
Feb-15-2005, 8:54pm
I think that BigJoe even thought the Bill Monroe set would be o.k. for the older Gibson A's - with the wider neck and all. . .

f-d

Big Joe
Feb-16-2005, 8:03am
THe closest to original strings would be the Monel's. They are used on the Sam Bush set. Any of these strings will work fine if the mandolin is in good condition. There were not any phosphor bronze strings in the twenties so they had a much different tone from what you would find today and different expectations of tone. You might try a set of Bush strings to see what was normal then and a set of your favorite phosphor bronze to see what is available today. I prefer the EXP 74's or the Elixier Nanoweb to most others today. The Monroe strings do sound great, but won't last as long as the 74 or nanos.

Oh, Gibson is supposed to be introducing a coated set of mandolin strings in the near future. We have been trying to get that done for the last few years, and I think we are on the threshold of success. I will let you know when they are available and what we think of them. I think we have better choices for mandolins than there are for guitars, even though there are more varieties of guitar strings.

mandowilli
Feb-16-2005, 4:10pm
I also use the GHS A-250s on my 13 F2 and my 16 A4. I have taken to replacing the E with a .011 for more balance. The J74's gave them loads of bottom, too much for my taste.
I just put on a set of A-260's which are a bit heavier and so far I like them.

willi

John Flynn
Feb-16-2005, 6:03pm
Curtis Buckhannon gets about the best tone out of his 1920 A-2 that I have ever heard out of an A oval, anywhere. I am sure that has a lot to do with his technique, but I can get a great sound out of it also. He claims to use "whatever strings are on sale," but they are most often J74s. They have not given him any neck problems.