PDA

View Full Version : Ebony Bridge

Adam Tracksler
Feb-15-2005, 10:10am
Loking to upgrade the bridge on my mando to an ebony one. Any reccomendations? Preslotted for J-74's would rock.

--thnkas. ad

Lane Pryce
Feb-15-2005, 10:51am
Cumberland Acoustics aka: Steve Smith bridge would be my first choice. They have a web site cumberlandacoustics.com
They make a nice little string winder too!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif Lp

El Rey del Mando
Feb-15-2005, 10:57am
Stew Mac sells a good ebony bridge for about 18.00.I have used them before,and they are good bridges for the money.There are more expensive ones to be had from first quality and other places.I have used Bill Sullivans Loar style bridge,about 35.00.Janet Davis sells some slotted.I'm sure others will chime in with other options.These are some of the ones that I have used.Keep in mind,all bridges have to be fitted to your mandolin,so you may as well try your hand at slotting it also.All it takes is a jewlers file and a pencil. There are some good sites on this subject.Frets.com is one of them.There is loads of other info there too.Check it out,(if you haven't already). Hope this helps.

John

sunburst
Feb-15-2005, 11:01am
Darryl Wolfe who posts here as F5journl makes some of the most accurate Loar era replica bridges.

Doug Edwards
Feb-15-2005, 11:10am
There are a lot of good quality bridges from various makers out there. I found Steve Smith of Cumberland Acoustics to be most helpful. I emailed him concerning a tall saddle/bridge setup and he was quick to respond with ideas, measurements, ect. The bridge looks great and sounds good too.

mandough
Feb-15-2005, 11:14am
I also recommend Steve from Cumberland Acoustics. I bought two bridges from him that I will be installing on the mandolins that I am building right now. They are very well made and pre-slotted for J74's. He also makes wonderful radiused/slotted fretboards.

Lee
Feb-15-2005, 3:15pm
How difficult really is it to get the bridge base properly contoured to fit the exact curve of the mando top? I've read the descriptions and instructions but never heard any novice post a first hand account.

Doug Edwards
Feb-15-2005, 5:43pm
I bit the bullet and bought a StewMac bridge fitting jig ($25), made the fitting process a breeze. I'll get more use out it later on and have few friends that want to try it. If you are in the area you're welcome to use it. Information on the process can be found by a simple web search. I think this subject has been listed several times in the forums, you could search them first. The main scoop is taping sandpaper to your top and sanding the base to match the top's contour for precise contact of the base. I went from 150, 110, 100, to 220 sandpaper. Most of the hard work was done with the 150. Mark the bottom with pencil (white if you got it) to monitor your progress.
I measured the bridge's position before I started and marked it on the tape to keep me "in the zone" while sanding. It can be done without the jig but you have to be careful not to wobble as you sand.

Scotti Adams
Feb-15-2005, 6:11pm
This last time around I bought a Randy Wood Loar Repro Bridge which I got from Stew-Mac..only because Steve and I had a hard time catching up to one another....I had one of Steves bridges on another mando I had...top shelf. I made the business up with Steve though..bought an arm-rest from him.

futrconslr
Feb-21-2005, 6:19pm
I bought one of Steve Smith's bridges. Very happy.