PDA

View Full Version : Tone Gard

Doug Edwards
Feb-14-2005, 9:19am
I'm considering getting a tone guard.

My mandolin fits VERY snug in my new case. Does the Tone Guard fold in any way to lay flatter, as in to place it a zipper pocket of the case cover. I already travel pretty heavy with a number of cased instruments (almost time to get a some kind of cart). I hate to think I'd have another separate piece of equipment to keep up with. About how much room does it need?

Mando4Life
Feb-14-2005, 9:55am
My Gard fit on the mando in my old Calton case...it doesn't fit on the mando in my Pag Case.

I'd say the over all height of the Gard is around 1-1.5 inches. It would add about 0.5 cm on the sides and about 1/2 inch to the back depth....again these are off the top of my head...It's not really something you could fold either.

Hope this helps.

WBL

Scotti Adams
Feb-14-2005, 10:04am
..looking at your case....it looks like the Gard would stay on the back...another option that I did when I had my Bobelock case was take the Gard off..and position it over the headstock area...the lid had enough curvature to it that it allowed the Gard to ride comfortably there....and no the Gard does not bend or fold up.

Doug Edwards
Feb-14-2005, 10:19am
About what does it measure from bottom to top? I may have enough room to place it under the headstock w/o touching. I'd be concerned about over the headstock, could be risky should a sudden shock occur.

jasona
Feb-14-2005, 10:34am
Nice Silver Angel! You should post some pics of it in the other forum...

I keep mine in my case with the ToneGuard on...but its a TKL shaped A case.

Scotti Adams
Feb-14-2005, 10:41am
About what does it measure from bottom to top? I may have enough room to place it under the headstock w/o touching. I'd be concerned about over the headstock, could be risky should a sudden shock occur.
..forgot to mention...the Bobelock case had a blanket that you put over the entire mando..I dont have anyway to measure it at this time...sorry

TonyP
Feb-14-2005, 10:44am
How big is the space where the peghead is Doug? I have a friend who has a square case like that for his mando and he keeps it under the peghead(flipped of course so it can fit flat) with a piece of cloth protecting the Tone-Gard and the peghead from each other. I believe he's flown with it too.

J. Mark Lane
Feb-14-2005, 11:19am
Yeah, tell us more about the Silverangel! How long have you had it, what number is it, did you order it from Ken, do you love it, etc?

As for the Tone Gard, I have two (and love them), and I always leave them on in every case I have (including TKL case).

Mark

mandroid
Feb-14-2005, 2:28pm
As i understand , they are highly suggested to always stay on the back.
Mild steel is only springy for a minimal number of cycles.

Don Christy
Feb-14-2005, 2:32pm
Come on ... tell us more about your Silver Angel! I'm in the process of ordering one from Ken now.

Thanks
Don

TonyP
Feb-14-2005, 3:39pm
The friend of mine who has a Tone-Gard and the same kind of square case has had no problems. The problem might come switching between different mando's and adjusting the arms for each one. Just putting it on carefully on the same mando doesn't seem to be a problem. Also keeping the Gard in the case with the mando is advised as it keeps it from getting sat on or bent. Or losing it's "gard guards" http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Doug Edwards
Feb-14-2005, 6:42pm
The storage area in the peg head area is 8"x12" with approximately 21/2" open below the head stock. I was hoping the tone guard would fit there, upside down as mentioned above. I could always store it in the small dog cover, but those type of things are not that well protected and cause wear on the material.

Thanks for asking about my Silver Angel, Serenella. (Ken names them)

My Silver Angel is #94. I bought it off the classifieds last Thanksgiving. I just love it! I emailed Ken Ratcliff prior to buying it. He told me it was first owned by Dan Kelly of Faith Hills band. The finish looks like it was owned and used by a pro. Their instruments often get pretty rough treatment, they also get played in a bunch. So I have one of those coveted distressed finishes. Ken said it had an Engleman top. The back, neck and head stock are flamed. The tone is woody and the mandolin has good projection. The fretboard is radiused with large frets and the neck is a little more narrow with a deep V. It plays very easily and has true intonation all the way down the neck. Mids and trebles are very clear. I've done a little work to refurbish the finish, mainly clean, polish, and buff. I changed the nickle Schalers to gold with MOP buttons, added an Allen engraved tailpiece, and replaced the Fishman pickup/bridge with a Cumberland Acoustics Steve Smith bridge. I should recieve my custom TRC and pick guard this week to complete the refurbish and then I'll just play the heck out of it. I'll post pictures when it's done.

TonyP
Feb-14-2005, 7:51pm
The typical Tone-Gard should fit there. Since they are handmade there are some variances in that 8" dimension. I just checked one and it was a tad under 8".

Doug Edwards
Feb-14-2005, 9:11pm
Thanks Tony,

It's actually slightly bigger so it should fit. I ought to look into one of the custom design patterns. The Janet Davis site showed photos of various designs, such as a dove, but I'd bet the standard is what's in stock. The actual Tone Guard site had several unique designs.
Hmm, what design to use? (and is it affordable)

Mando Medic
Feb-15-2005, 10:22am
The standard design is $65 and very well worth it. Your Tone Gard should fit while on the instrument. Kenc

Mando4Life
Feb-15-2005, 10:37am
I ought to look into one of the custom design patterns.

Ask TonyP.....he makes them....they are great.

WBL

ronlane3
Feb-15-2005, 1:33pm
Doug, FYI, did you realize that TonyP is the guy that builds them?

Tony, a year and a half and I still love my guard, although, I have some that tell me I don't need it for volume. (I did have to take it off while recording).

Doug Edwards
Feb-15-2005, 5:27pm
I had no idea, thanks.

I just emailed him about it.

TonyP
Feb-15-2005, 5:28pm
Ron, I'm sorry but I'm a little baffled. I try to stay as far away from discussions about the Tone-Gard just because of the "opinion" factor. I love my Newson and every pro who's picked it up has loved it. Most parkinglot pickers haven't, so it all comes down to your opinion and forget everybody else. The first thing on the Tone-Gard website is how to test to see if your going like the sound of your mando with the back free. Then it's all a matter of do you want to do something special to free the back(like tilt it away) or use a Tone-Gard. Nothing is perfect and I certainly don't tout it to be. Everything in life is a trade-off and I try to minimize the trade offs by making the best product I can and provide as much info/service as possible. I know of nothing else right now that you can actually test for a difference before you modify. I hate to bring up names 'cause I know I'm going to get roasted, but most of the pro's who use the Gard record with it(they have stated so ) and one only uses it to record,and not the rest of the time, so who's right? [U]

Scotti Adams
Feb-15-2005, 6:08pm
..Mine never comes off...only to clean up the mando..I have repainted my Tone-Gard once and along the way have lost the rubber guards But Tony send me more when I need them.

ronlane3
Feb-15-2005, 6:21pm
Tony, Please don't take be baffled, I love the product and promote it to anyone that askes (see the other posts here where I have said I love it). The comment was made to say that the mandolin is loud by itself without the tone-gaurd, but with the gaurd it is a mini-cannon. I tried another gaurd on it before I purchased mine from you, so I knew what I was in for. I had to take it off to record because we were recording multiple instruments at once and I was drowning out the others.

Now for your comment, if your product isn't perfect, then You'll have to prove it to me.

I may have another one sold for you by the way, my uncle is looking into one for his mandolin. I'll let you know, I sent him with the homepage and the info that I used to order mine.

TonyP
Feb-15-2005, 7:04pm
[QUOTE]I had to take it off to record because we were recording multiple instruments at once and I was drowning out the others.

wow, I wish I suffered from that http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

I wasn't doubting your commitment to the gard and I've seen your and other's posts for the gard, thanks to all. I just didn't understand. But I also cringe for all who speak up for the gard because there are a bunch who lay in wait for any who get to worked up about what they've got.
and now we return you to your regularly scheduled thead......

ronlane3
Feb-15-2005, 10:52pm
lol, Tony. Seems that tone-guards are the regularly scheduled program on this channel anyway.

Doug, I would bet you could leave the t-g on that beautiful Angel and be fine. I leave mine on when I put it in my Calton, it has been just fine and I've had the Calton for nearly a year now.

Doug Edwards
Feb-15-2005, 11:42pm
Thanks to all.

I'll have to give it whirl.

Doug Edwards
Mar-04-2005, 1:37pm
I received my Tone-Gard from Tony today. Man what a difference! I just thought I wasn't muffling the sound. Thanks Tony.

I was right too, the Tone-Gard would not fit in the case while on my mandolin, way too tight. It fits perfect in the storage area by the headstock (flipped as recommended). Thanks to all for the good advice.

Doug Edwards
Mar-04-2005, 1:40pm
I received my Tone-Gard from Tony today. Man what a difference! I just thought I wasn't muffling the sound. Thanks Tony.

I was right too, the Tone-Gard would not fit in the case while on my mandolin, way too tight. It fits perfect in the storage area by the headstock (flipped as recommended). Thanks to all for the good advice.

ronlane3
Mar-04-2005, 1:50pm
Very nice picture. What pick are you using?

Doug Edwards
Mar-04-2005, 1:56pm
That's buffalo horn pick. I buy the shape pick blanks from Glenrose Music and have fun filing, beveling, and buffing. They have a nice tone, a little fatter sounding. They will take some of the edge off bright or new strings.

Lane Pryce
Mar-04-2005, 2:24pm
The tonegard would not fit in my Bobelock case while on my mandolin either.I place it in much he same fashion as you do Doug. Lp

J. Mark Lane
Mar-04-2005, 7:08pm
I don't use my Tone Gard any more. I play a Gibson.

El Rey del Mando
Mar-04-2005, 7:15pm
Even a Gibson sounds better with a tone gard on it! Your just afraid to let thoes little rubber things touch the sides of that new spanker.(o:

TonyP
Mar-04-2005, 7:37pm
you go J.Mark!http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Steven Stone
Mar-04-2005, 7:38pm
[I don't use my Tone Gard any more. I play a Gibson. ]

While I'll be the first to admit the Gibson varnish finish seems harder than what I've seen on most new mandos, in the summer after a nice hot night of picking, you might not like the sound of peeling your mando off your chest, or that new textured pattern all over the back of the mando from your shirt.

Just a thought.... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

I have a Gibson Fern equipped with a tonegard. I wouldn't dream of playing it without one.

Lane Pryce
Mar-04-2005, 8:20pm
Hey J Mark I just got a tonegard from brother Tony and my lil ole F9 sounds much better.I'll bet your new Gibby would peel the paint from the walls if you could hold it!!
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif Lp-----What doz that J stand for anyway?

J. Mark Lane
Mar-04-2005, 8:49pm
He he he....Yeah, I already had to repaint three rooms. Had to take the dern thing off....
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Mando Medic
Mar-05-2005, 2:46am
Tony P. Had to let you know of a new endorser. Steve Smith from New Mexico was at the shop with Laura Kemp doing a show tonight. He asked just before he went on if I had any Tone Gards in stock. I did of course, he put one on and at the end of the first song, he was smiling and singing the praises. Another one! And he told me to tell you thanks and he will be in touch about one for his 000-21 Martin. Kenc

TonyP
Mar-05-2005, 3:36am
WOW, way cool, thanks for the headsup Ken,I look forward to hearing from Steve. I gotta say, you are really bringing in some amazing talent, I wish it wasn't so far away...

And Doug, I'm glad you and the Gard are getting along ok:)

LKN2MYIS
Mar-05-2005, 4:22pm
So what is the general concensus as to where I should buy one?

berkeleymando
Mar-05-2005, 4:27pm
>So what is the general concensus as to where I should buy one?

TonyP is the maker himself, plus I think they are available online at www.gregboyd.com

SternART
Mar-05-2005, 4:33pm
Buy it direct from Tony, support a fellow Cafe member & picker!!!
I think I still hold the record for most Gards purchased by an individual.
Bought all mine direct from the Tonemeister himself.

TonyP
Mar-05-2005, 5:06pm
Arthur's glass art was the inspiration for the DecoGard(which I believe Arthur still has the first one made for regular mando's).
You can get Tone-Gard's from Greg Boyd, Cartwright's Music Repair, Janet Davis, Elderly, FQMS, Randy Wood, Michael Lewis, StarsGuitars, Sylvan Music, and in Canada, the Stringman and Myhre's Music, or direct from me.

LKN2MYIS
Mar-06-2005, 7:17am
Tony -

My Pomeroy will be here on the 15th. I'll be contacting you
after that.

By now you must have stopped smoking....

TonyP
Mar-06-2005, 1:18pm
hmmm, I didn't know I'd been of fire http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

I think your thinking about my performance anxiety, I've never smoked. If my financial drought ever gets over I plan on looking them up. Too bad we can't trade.....

LKN2MYIS
Mar-06-2005, 4:40pm
Tony -
You're right, my error. I think I'm about up to the "Z" in Alzeimer's lately.

Yep, if we were closer, I'd have no trouble bartering.

You'll be fine, though. Just don't let it slip too long. And the contacts you got near you might just want to barter as well - contact them. You never know.

lkn2myis