PDA

View Full Version : BONE SADDLES

Hal Loflin
Feb-10-2005, 8:43pm
Do bone saddles make that much difference in tone and where can I buy one? Any past post on this topic that you know of would be appreciated.

Thanks

man doh
Feb-10-2005, 10:15pm
FYI I have a bone saddle for a brekke listed on the classifieds

mrbook
Feb-10-2005, 10:32pm
I just put one on one of my mandolins, and I got a brighter, sharper sound - which was an improvement. However, I'm also getting a buzz, which I think is due to the bone being glued to a piece of ebony. Although I bought it elsewhere, the one I have looks like the ones sold by an Asian guy on ebay. I think a regular bridge top fashioned from bone would be better. I have also considered making bone inserts for an ebony bridge.

Like anything, I think it works better with some instruments than others. It's worth a try.

Hal Loflin
Feb-10-2005, 10:55pm
mrbook....THat is what I would prefer....A bone insert. Anyone know where one can be located?

Lane Pryce
Feb-11-2005, 9:51am
There are bone saddles available.Kurt Gisclair at Huskey Acoustics has fossilized ivory saddles and nut blanks as well as bridges with ivory overlays. He has a site and I believe this is it [URL=www.huskyacoustics.com]. Lp

mrbook
Feb-11-2005, 11:43am
I have thought of making inserts out of scraps or pieces of a bone nut blank. Sitting down to do it is another matter, which is why I bought one. However, unless someone else makes them, I think I will just have to spend an evening in the basement.

GTison
Feb-11-2005, 11:53am
mrbook, I guess if the buzz is in those e or a strings it's because of the slots in the saddle. I've got a bridge on my mando right now that if it tips just the least bit forward the e starts to buzz.
I've wanted to try one of those bone or ivory saddles.

Ken Sager
Feb-11-2005, 12:59pm
Does Kurt Gisclair use bone or just fossil ivory? I have a fossil ivory insert of his, but didn't think he sold bone.

Kurt's Web Site Link (http://www.huskyacoustics.com/huskivor.htm)

Don Paine (Pomeroy mandolins) uses bone saddles for most of his bridges. I don't know if he sells just bridges, or saddles, but he makes a very nice one. He'd be worth a phone call or email to chat about it.

Pomeroy Web Site Link (http://www.pomeroyinstruments.com)

Best,
Ken

man doh
Feb-12-2005, 6:45pm
My bad my brekke insert in the classifieds is an ivory insert not bone from husky.