PDA

View Full Version : MOP nuts

GeoMandoAlex
Feb-08-2005, 7:07am
I didn't see a post for this one. Only FWI and bone were mentioned in the one post I saw. I have a MK Firefly Flame. I cn't have MAS (it's been outlawed in the house, not by me). I am allowed to put upgrades on my Firefly though. I have already changed the tailpiece to the Allen and am looking to upgrade the bridge and nut. The nut being next on the list. I have a Graph Tusq nut already on the mando. I was thinking of going with MOP.

Does anyone know about these and would it be an upgrade to what I have? I know if I don't like it, I can change back. What would the tone differences be?

A luthier told me that very little glue is used to connect the nut to the headstock so changing out would not be a problem.

Thanks in advance.

Stillpicking
Feb-08-2005, 7:58am
I have 2 MKs one of which I replaced the nut with a MOP. The MK was one of the very first MKs they offered about 4 years ago so it came with a plastic nut. I also switched out the rosewood bridge for a Sullivan ebony at the same time. If you can afford to buy both parts at the same time and have the upgrade done at the same time you might save a few bucks on labor.
The resulting sound change from the above upgrades plus a Weber solid tailpiece was outstanding.

My other MK is a newer Legacy "O" that came with a better nut than my early MK #so on this one I only added an Allen tailpiece and a Cumberland radius bridge which improved the sound nicely.

MAS is now banded in our house also so I am into upgrades which makes the MKs a good deal as they are so reasonable in price to start with and respond well to upgrades.

Lane Pryce
Feb-08-2005, 8:43am
MOP tends to impart brightness to tone. Downside is MOP is very brittle thus chips and cracks easily.Bone and fosslilized ivory can be very hard and durable.Tone not as bright as MOP.However tonal changes will vary from mandolin to mandolin.
Do not forget the set-up with the upgrades. Lp

testore
Feb-08-2005, 3:12pm
I put MOP on the ones I build. Will never use anything else. It makes the best sound I think. Loars left the factory with MOP BTW

SternART
Feb-08-2005, 3:24pm
I've had a too bright instrument w/MOP that an ebony nut helped mellow.....and used bone & then MOP as stepping stones in making another instrument brighter.

I think you can use the nut to tweak the sound a bit, one way or the other......so it depends on whatchya like..... what you're hoping for in relation to whatchya got. I never personally used either but know fossilized ivory & corian are other potential nut materials. I found these tweaks can make a minor tone ajustment, but usually it just sounds different, so in a few cases I've gone back to the old nut.

mad dawg
Feb-08-2005, 3:35pm
I am perhaps a little off-topic, but this discussion got me thinking: are there any builders of F-styles that use zero frets? I would think that zero frets would impart a more uniform tone when comparing fretted vs. open notes, as it the concept seems to take the nut material out of the equation entirely.

Also, if you don't use open notes very often, is the nut material a non-issue, or are there still harmonics and overtones that are produced by the string vibrating between the fretting finger and the nut that would influence fretted notes' tones?

(Inquiring minds want to know... #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif )

Desert Rose
Feb-10-2005, 8:27am
I have to strongly disagree with the notion that pearl imparts brightness into the tone. It imparts clarity to the sound but not brightness

The best mandolins I experience with the best balanced tone and great projection always have pearl nuts, no compromise on huge strong bass and midrange at all.

Scott

J. Mark Lane
Feb-10-2005, 8:55am
I am perhaps a little off-topic, but this discussion got me thinking: are there any builders of F-styles that use zero frets? I would think that zero frets would impart a more uniform tone when comparing fretted vs. open notes, as it the concept seems to take the nut material out of the equation entirely.
I have zero frets on two custom guitars that I ordered. I like the approach. It largely eliminates the nut from the equation. And I happen to like the sound, at least for the purposes of those instruments.

I have also specified a zero fret on a cittern that I have on order. I think for "Celtic" style music, it will be a good choice.

I'm not sure I would want a zero fret on an F5 style mandolin. I don't think it would be the right approach for that.

My Givens Legacy is in now getting (among other things) a MOP nut to replace the bone one. Largely out of curiousity. I will report when I get it back.

Mark

sunburst
Feb-10-2005, 9:01am
I've used MOP and bone.
There is very little sound difference, and any that I can detect is only in the open strings.
I prefer bone for several reasons. It sounds better to me, it looks better with ivoroid bindings, (if I bind with wood I'm more likely to use pearl), it's easier to work with, and less expensive.

Tim Saxton
Feb-10-2005, 9:57am
What do you all think about an Ivory nut. Yes a real Ivory one. What kind of tone cane it impart?

Tim

SternART
Feb-10-2005, 10:44am
Valid point on the open string sound only, being effected by nut material. I've also added a bone piece on top of a saddle as a tone control, after seeing Butch Baldassari use one on his Gil F5C classical & talking to him about it. I had it done on a new saddle, keeping the stock one, and can swap them out to get a different tone, the bone is a bit brighter.

sunburst
Feb-10-2005, 11:10am
What do you all think about an Ivory nut. Yes a real Ivory one. What kind of tone cane it impart?

Tim
I can't tell it from bone, as far as sound. I've seen nuts that may have been ivory, may have been bone. I couldn't tell. I can't imagine paying much more to have ivory rather than bone.

Tom C
Feb-10-2005, 11:17am
isn't ivory uh .....bone?

sunburst
Feb-10-2005, 11:26am
isn't ivory uh .....bone?
Not exactly...can't really tell you the scientific difference, but, it's not quite the same stuff.

Lynn Dudenbostel
Feb-10-2005, 3:45pm
I'm using ivory on all of my new stuff unless someone just wants MOP. the sound difference is on the open strings only and is slight. MOP quality in pieces that big isn't great, besides, once you have a properly fitted ivory nut and feel how the strings glide thru it while tuning, you'll be in love with it. Bone is great too, but just doesn't have that natuarl lubricity of real ivory... fossil ivory doesn't quite have that feel either, not all of it anyway.

Dude

Lane Pryce
Feb-10-2005, 3:54pm
If a fellow wanted to purchase an ivory blank where would you look? Lp

mad dawg
Feb-10-2005, 4:15pm
I'm using ivory on all of my new stuff unless someone just wants MOP. #the sound difference is on the open strings only and is slight. #MOP quality in pieces that big isn't great, besides, once you have a properly fitted ivory nut and feel how the strings glide thru it while tuning, you'll be in love with it. #Bone is great too, but just doesn't have that natuarl lubricity of real ivory... fossil ivory doesn't quite have that feel either, not all of it anyway.

Dude
Hmmmm..., I never thought about the tuning aspects of different nut materials. Perhaps ivory's natural lubricity might also help prolong string life, compared to other materials? Or perhaps at least it may help minimize string breakage at the nut?

Lane Pryce
Feb-10-2005, 4:32pm
Found em ---- thanks Lp

J. Mark Lane
Feb-10-2005, 4:34pm
If a fellow wanted to purchase an ivory blank where would you look? Lp
Oh, just mosey on down to the corner, and look for a shady character wearing an overcoat. There's criminals in every town. And if that doesn't work, there's always eBay. And don't worry, they'll be able to give you a certificate absolutely guaranteeing that the stuff is not newly harvested, illegal, poached ivory, resulting from the slaughter of protected animals. No sir. The stuff will be gen-yoo-wine anteek fossilized ivory, found laying on the ground somewhere. Yup. Not illegal. Not unethical. Nope. Perfectly fine.

And don't worry. Participating in the market for...legal ivory surely does not encourage the market in illegal ivory. No sir. No way. There is no scientific evidence of that, none at all. The suggestion that, just because the guy in the overcoat learns that ivory fetches big bucks, that he might conspire with his buddies to slaughter some elephants or seals or whatever, just to get some of the coveted material, no, that won't encourage poaching. No way.

And of course, you will not only have the joy of a radical improvement in sound (yeah, yeah), but also the certainty of knowing that, every time you look at your mandolin, you are absolutely crystal clear that no innonect, legally protected animals were killed to add to your pleasure.

Life is good, isn't it?

Lane Pryce
Feb-10-2005, 5:07pm
J.Mark are you a wee bit sore after lasts night game? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif Lp

J. Mark Lane
Feb-10-2005, 5:22pm
What game? I have no idea what you are referring to?

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

(The season is not over. The season is not over. The season is not over....)

Mark

Lane Pryce
Feb-10-2005, 5:34pm
I am still licking my wounds too. Lp

Tim Saxton
Feb-10-2005, 7:08pm
Lynn,

That is exactly what i was feeling about the ivory nut. I was unsure if my tuners were weak because it feels so smooth to the turn.

Tim