PDA

View Full Version : Question for Music Store Insiders

delsbrother
Feb-08-2005, 12:57am
Subject/description says it all.. How much do you ask for deposit, and what happens if the customer doesn't like the instrument when it arrives?

I ask because I'm considering ordering a Giannini Brazilian bandolim, but the only dealer in my area had the following policies:

-full retail (straight out of the Giannini price book, no discount)

-50% non-refundable deposit, which in this case was $500.

-trade in for more expensive instrument if dissatisfied with the special order. If trade option is invoked, I can never special order from the store again. The order guy seemed incredulous I might be unhappy with the instrument - "What could possibly be wrong with it?"

Now I've had custom orders before, but I'd never had a "real" music store order something for me. So these conditions seemed kinda harsh and I passed.. The store is a very large neighborhood music store, with all kinds of instruments, sheet music, private music rooms for teaching, etc. Not exactly a lot of high end stringed instruments though, mostly mid-low end imports, but lots of them.

Was I being unreasonable? I didn't burn any bridges; I got the feeling I could go back and still order the instrument.

Darrell

Mando Medic
Feb-08-2005, 1:29am
Darrell,
It possible that the dealer does not have a return option if you back out of the deal. It's it's an item the he does not normally stock and sell and he can't return it, then he's stuck with it. As far as his price, well that's his price. If you could find one somewhere else through Mandolin Cafe you might get it cheaper and you might get a 48 hour approval period, but because it appears that another one isn't available, you may have no choice.

I might suggest that you negotiate your best price, ask for half back if you don't like it in 48 hours, and the balance when the dealer sells or returns the instrument. There can usually be a 10% restocking fee that is non refundable too. Good luck. Kenc,,,, Cartwright's Music and Repair Shop.

Stephen Perry
Feb-08-2005, 8:33pm
Special orders take a good deal of time, effort, and trouble. Both with the place ordered from if not a usual supplier and with the customer. Special order customers can be difficult, especially if they don't understand exactly what they are asking for. The store has the extra time of ordering to pay for, the setup which might not be normal, may have to pay for the instrument up front, and has to deal with someone who thinks they know enough to special order something. Sometimes things work, sometimes they don't.

The 50% deposit should cover their costs. You don't show up again, they aren't out any money. The mark up covers the trouble of doing something special. And maybe it is to slightly discourage you, to make sure you really want get the thing!

Generally one is better off finding someplace that knows the instruments, even if remote from you.

I have a number of special orders of odd stuff hanging around that never got picked up. I'm stuck with it. EBay and a loss on some of it, I imagine. So I tend to get a goodly deposit or full payment ahead of time. On the other hand, for things I am likely to either move nicely if the customer doesn't want it or things that may be good toys for me, I'll just order the thing and see if the customer likes it!

Mando Medic's concept is good, too. I might turn that into a policy.

Steve

delsbrother
Feb-08-2005, 8:52pm
Thanks for the replies. It's good to hear things from the dealers' point of view. I don't want to come off as a guy who just wants to "stick it" to a momnpop music store.. It's just that after dealing with the big chains/mailorder for so long (and partaking in the Great GC x9-grab) I wasn't sure how these things were handled.

I'll ask Giannini if there are any other dealers that might have stock on hand they'd be willing to ship, but if not I'll probably order.

Darrell

Greenmando
Feb-09-2005, 12:15am
My F9 was a special order that the customer did not pick up at GC. They gave it to me at the reduced price we all got with our notorious GC crime spree http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif #But I was told the previous buyer laid down some pretty good cash in advance for the special order. I confirmed this at a different GC when the salesman showed me the status on their database.

The only difference I can see is that mine has quilted maple instead of the flame on my A9. If I had ordered it I would have at least ordered a flowerpot, http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif