PDA

View Full Version : Ameritage Cases

Jack Roberts
Feb-06-2005, 7:36pm
Has anyone had experience with Amreitage cases? I am looking to house my mandolin with a little more protection than the standard case. I've already broken a head scroll once, and it broke my heart.

Harry H
Feb-06-2005, 8:05pm
How'd you break it?

Jim Hilburn
Feb-06-2005, 8:20pm
I 've used a couple of them. They have one of the best suspension designs I've seen and the arched top is super strong and gives the bridge a huge amount of clearance.
On the down side, they could lose the frilly leatherette that trys to make it look classy. That's the only part that might not do to well if it ever came to having to check it.

Jack Roberts
Feb-06-2005, 8:27pm
How'd you break it?
Dropped the OEM case (gibson) not more than a foot, the case opened and ouch. Hey, it happens to lots of people, I just wish it hadn't happened to me.

I've got an old album with Bill Monroe on the cover playing his F5 with the headstock broken.

Thanks, Jim. Leatherette? for that kind of money shouldn't it be Ostrich leather?

Jack

Bradley
Feb-06-2005, 8:38pm
You will not want an Ameritage Case...for the Money you can get a Bobelock or GWW traditional case which will offer better protection

Jim Hilburn
Feb-06-2005, 10:52pm
Maybe it is leather. I don't know. But I doubt the above mentioned cases offer better protection, although I'm sure they're fine. In an Ameratage, the body is supported from below on several padded risers. Then there's a pad on top that contacts the tailpiece and another across the neck, with cavernous space above the bridge.
If good protection for the price is an issue, the Modern cases are very good. They just look like they were made in cold war Siberia.

Chris Baird
Feb-06-2005, 11:04pm
GWW makes "Ameritage" cases. They are the same company. Their current cases are very good. The ebay deals floating around are usually older defective cases.

Bradley
Feb-07-2005, 12:18am
Yes I know...

I have had both and the Traditional case has alot less movement of the instrument versus the Ameritage.GWW will build a oblong case for $160 that is a very rigid case with your choice of exteriors,hardware, and interior colors.

Just my favorite for the price range thats all.

John Bertotti
Feb-07-2005, 8:47am
I don't have one but why not look at Rob Anderson's cases. Hand made in USA to your instruments specs. John
check out this thread
Rob's work (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=8;t=21761;st=0)

addcourt
Feb-07-2005, 9:35am
I ordered a Loar-style case from Rob Anderson last week--will be happy to critique it in a couple of months.

Scotti Adams
Feb-07-2005, 9:42am
..Ive went through all these cases...'cept Rob Andersons...which appear to be a fine built case.....Ive went full circle back to the Calton...and happy that I did.

Harry H
Feb-07-2005, 9:56am
Scotti,

did you go through the Pegasus case? If so, what did you think?

Scotti Adams
Feb-07-2005, 10:00am
..never have owned a Peg...Ive seen two....they seem like real nice cases..nice storage....but I just cant get used to the shape of them...thats just me..

Jim Hilburn
Feb-07-2005, 10:23am
I need to find a good case provider, so I'm glad this thread came along. I just e-mailed GWW for a quote.
While looking, I did see a photo of the Ameritage and realized my description of it was a bit off. It has 2 large pads that contact the top of the mandolin on either side of the tailpiece plus the cross neck support. I still say this is a great design. The instrument is locked into place when the top is closed with good foam and plush material. I'd like to see them take this design and loose the hygrometers and humidifiers and finish it off in tolex or some other tough exterior and sell it in the $200 range.

Chris Baird
Feb-07-2005, 10:31am
Jim, I have been working with them. They will build a case to suit you and give you a luthiers discount as well. They have a lot of options to choose from, both interior and exterior.

addcourt
Feb-07-2005, 10:39am
Jim: #I've owned 3 or 4 different style GWW built cases. #The Phoenix supplied is a little austere but well made; the faux reptile which came with the BRW Heirloom looked great but lacked quality construction; the vintage Loar-style which my MM came in is absolutely first quality in all respects. # I suppose they are capable of giving you what you want at various price points. #I'll be happy to supply a Price case for the F5 you'll be building for me. #Regards, Mike