PDA

View Full Version : New Tp Design

Scotti Adams
Feb-03-2005, 9:20am
http://folkofthewood.com/page5551.htm I dont know about you fellas but I dont have a problem with my strings coming loose...anybody have one of these?

grandmainger
Feb-03-2005, 9:41am
I can kind of see where they're coming from, but for $125 (sale price!) I'll stick with my usual string holder: the thumb.

Steve Perry
Feb-03-2005, 9:57am
Hmmm... #I'll save the $125 and just keep using the piece of masking tape that I do now. #Yeah, it's a pain... but I bet it's less of a pain than losing the little allen wrench (which you know you'll do at least once during each string change!)... #less of a pain than wallerin' around on the floor looking for one of the set screws when it rolls off the table...

Steve Perry

Lane Pryce
Feb-03-2005, 10:12am
I have seen that tp before.Its way to clunky/big for any self respecting mandolin!!!What a pain to have to change an string during a jam http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif Lp

Scotti Adams
Feb-03-2005, 10:25am
....my point exactly.....what will they think of next?

jim simpson
Feb-03-2005, 8:47pm
Crazy man! I think some machinist got carried away, it must have seemed like a good idea at the time. It certainly looks overbuilt. I think it would be hard to beat Bill Jame's (bill@inlayinc.com) tailpiece design and function.

(post edited by Scott T. to reflect Bill's new email address)

Scotti Adams
Feb-03-2005, 8:50pm
I should have my James TP soon...It had to be engraved and then plated...

ronlane3
Feb-03-2005, 11:31pm
Forget the jam, how about trying to change a broken string with those while trying to get back on stage to finish a set. (better off buying a second Loar)

Keith Newell
Feb-04-2005, 1:10am
Over built?? No way, Im thinking of making it from titanium with shock dampeners and overtone white noise killers (9 volt battery not included) http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif
Seriously thats some fine machine work and Im sure it holds the string nicely but changing is an issue, and why would you make the most obvious feature the one that shows the least attractive part of the string winding meaning the the cut end of the wrap?
Keith

DannyB
Feb-18-2005, 11:43am
I've searched everywhere to see this James TP and can't find anything. Anyway I'm finally gonna get a new tailpiece for my Ratliff. I've been looking at the allen one piece AR series. Any pro's or con's I should know. I also looked for the discussion from some time ago on this and couldn't find it either. By the way Scotti, how's everything down in your neighborhood?

Hans
Feb-18-2005, 11:49am
Here's the James T/P in the open position. Closed it looks just like the traditional Tailpiece.

Yellowmandolin
Feb-18-2005, 11:54am
This is the Bill James Tailpiece thread, Here (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=8;t=21296;hl=bill+james+tai lpiece)

DannyB
Feb-18-2005, 12:52pm
Thanks a bunch...Yellowmandolin...

Danny

Scotti Adams
Feb-18-2005, 6:03pm
..my new James Tp got shipped today....heres what I had engraved on mine....Things are pretty good down here Danny..thanks for asking..

Andy Morton
Feb-19-2005, 10:06am
Hey Danny B--I put one of the Allen ARs on my Triggs and it really gave it more volume an little more sustain and more "overtones." Easy to use. Won't tarnish and easy to install.

Andy Morton

DannyB
Mar-04-2005, 8:09am
I put mine on my rattliff yesterday, Big difference. My girlfriend isn't really musically inclined and without even knowing I put it on she said it bacically made a difference as yours did. I really like it....expensive though.

Scotti Adams
Mar-04-2005, 8:26am
I recieved my new James Tp last week..its truly a great piece of equipment.....Ive owned 2 Gilchrists "hinged" Tp's in the past...they are good too. But I feel the James is better built...esp. in the hinge area...I felt like with the Gil that was a vunerable area that after alot of opening and shutting that it might eventually break....The James is better built in that area...beefier if you will. I wont be able to hear the difference it makes for one...I didnt have it on a mando and two....I dont get my new mando till May. I sent it to Darby yesterday...along with my new Gibson Grovers, Randy Wood Bridge etc. We all have Bill James to thank for this new Tp design....do your mando good and get one....as far as being expensive...personally I dont think so when you think of what it took to get the Tp from a brainchild to the final product. You pay for what you get.

DannyB
Mar-04-2005, 9:03am
Scotti, you're right about the price...I'm just a typical tight wad. lol I'd pay it again....

mandopete
Mar-04-2005, 9:58am
Took the plunge and ordered the Bill James tailpiece yesterday (since I didn't buy nothing at Wintergrass 'cept a pick!)

mandolooter
Mar-04-2005, 3:19pm
Pete you feeling guilty or something..LOL
All I bought was a T-shirt, a saddle blank for my tenor project and lots of beer...I feel I got away cheap! Those James TP's are the coolest tailpieces around IMHO. #How long will it be before someone askes me if I got a allen wrench they could borrow...LOL!