PDA

View Full Version : Eastman Mandolin Cases

peterleyenaar
Feb-03-2005, 9:19am
Another mandolin case question,
I have 2 Eastman F-style mandolin cases, how do they compare to, for example a Calton, in terms of protecting the mandolin.

Would you check your mandolin in a Eastman Case if you couldn't have it as carry on ?

I do like the Eastman cases for their fit, my mandolins fit in there with the tone guard on, although there is no room in the case for anything but picks and I always put a dampit in the headstock compartment where it wraps around the headstock pillow snug.

Lane Pryce
Feb-03-2005, 9:49am
I do not think anything compares to a Calton but a Calton!However I had an Eastman F and really liked it except for the same reasons you listed;lack of useable storage space.At one time there was some buzz about the cases being redesigned with more interior room.Nothing yet I presume.Maybe Gordon will chip in and give us an update.Currently I have a Bobelock 1019L.It is alot of case for the $$.I have considered selling though to purchase a Calton. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif
Lp

Ted Eschliman
Feb-03-2005, 10:46am
Despite the resemblance, the Eastman cases are anything but flight ready. The folks at Eastman could probably do a better job of communicating this, but if you're not sitting on it, or checking it during air travel, they will protect the instrument adequately.
Like my Momma taught me, you don't get somethin' for nothin'... There is a reason the purchase price is significantly less.

grandmainger
Feb-03-2005, 10:50am
Despite the resemblance, the Eastman cases are anything but flight ready. The folks at Eastman could probably do a better job of communicating this, but if you're not sitting on it, or checking it during air travel, they will protect the instrument adequately.
Ted, I quite like sitting on my case while playing. Would you say an Eastman case (empty) would not take the weight of an average man?

fatt-dad
Feb-03-2005, 11:08am
Would you say an Eastman case (empty) would not take the weight of an average man?
Papa Gordo ain't no average man either. . . .

EastmanGordon
Feb-09-2005, 6:23pm
Papa Gordo... hmmmmm..... not sure I like that.

I would first like to say that lesser men than me have stood on the mando case without causing damage (my assistant Kentaro actually who is from Japan, thin as a rake and of a slight diminutive stature). I however am of a more stocky celtic breed (welsh) and the liberal use of the local hoppy beverages coupled with my love of fine gourmet style victuals has made the possibility of standing on anything (least of all a mandolin case with an expensive instrument inside) without causing serious damage a very unlikely event. What I am really trying to say is this.

Eastman fibreglass mandolin cases are not flight cases. They are designed to be light, convenient, to give good protection under normal conditions and, most importantly of all, to fit snugly in the overhead compartment. They are never to be placed in the hold of an aeroplane.
Gordon

All_Smiles_Tonight
Feb-09-2005, 8:51pm
Papa Gordo... hmmmmm..... not sure I like that.

I would first like to say that lesser men than me have stood on the mando case without causing damage (my assistant Kentaro actually who is from Japan, thin as a rake and of a slight diminutive stature). I however am of a more stocky celtic breed (welsh) and the liberal use of the local hoppy beverages coupled with my love of fine gourmet style victuals has made the possibility of standing on anything (least of all a mandolin case with an expensive instrument inside) without causing serious damage a very unlikely event. What I am really trying to say is this.

Eastman fibreglass mandolin cases are not flight cases. They are designed to be light, convenient, to give good protection under normal conditions and, most importantly of all, to fit snugly in the overhead compartment. They are never to be placed in the hold of an aeroplane.
Gordon

I have a green F-style case that I like just fine. I like its looks and that I can sling it over my shoulder. I never expected it to be indestructible.

But I also the Canadian-built TLK shaped cases.

You said "They are never to be placed in the hold of an airplane." Is that because of the lack of pressure or the gorilla baggage handlers?

Is the "Papa" comment some kind of Hemmingway comparison?

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

EastmanGordon
Feb-10-2005, 10:14am
I'll take Hemingway!

The pressure thing I am told is not a problem these days because the holds are mostly pressurised anyway. My worry is the trip between check in and the hold and back again. We've all watched out of the plane window and seen those guys manhandling stuff onto the little cart things they use.

My first instrument was a Yamaha FG-75 acoustic guitar that I got back in the late sixties. It came with a very flimsy cloth bag that had little or no padding. I lived in Hong Kong and went to school in England and I must have checked that guitar at least twenty times and there was not a scratch on it. The luck of the ignorant methinks. Laurence Juber told me that they made his daughter check her Martin assuring her that it would be fine and they turned it into matchwood.

I have had a lot of experience lately flying with instruments and I have found that a little white lie at check-in seems to be the best policy. They tell me that I have to check my instrument and they give me the look that we are all familiar with, ie do what I say or I call security. I smile pleasantly and ask if I could possibly gate check it because I would feel safer and they always say okay. You then just calmly walk on to the plane and stick whatever instrument you have in the overhead or if it's too big you ask to put it in the coat closet. So far it's never failed me.

The letter from the musician's union has so far only been greeted with mild amusement and then instantly dismissed although I don't think it would hurt to have it with you as a last resort. Never put an instrument in a plane hold if you don't have to and if you do make sure it's wrapped up tightly in it's own little custom made Calton (or equivalent) case.
Gordon

keithd
Feb-10-2005, 3:46pm
Gordon,

I recently purchased an Eastman case for a vintage Gibson A (I closeted the original case to save it from the wear of regular use); it's a great fit and a great case, especially for the overhead bin type of air travel. I am able to fit a small tin for picks and a polish cloth under the neck at the peg head without endangering the neck.

In the interest of improvment though, I do find the case difficult to pry open, due to the tight fit of the gasketed top. You might consider adding something (the old Gibson case has a low-profile button for this) to the lid to grasp on to for opening...or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Keith

EastmanGordon
Feb-11-2005, 9:11am
Keith,
when they are new they are a little difficult to open but they will ease up over time. I like the idea of a lttle tab or something to aid the opening process. That idea goes straight to my case guy!
Thanks,
Gordon

peterleyenaar
Feb-11-2005, 1:02pm
I gently squeeze the narrow part of the lid between thumb and index finger and open the case without any difficulty

Stephanie Reiser
Feb-13-2005, 3:17am
One of the advantages of playing the mando is that we can fit them into the over-head, as violin players can do, too. I have seen guitar cases at the airport and have wondered what they thought they were gonna do with them on the plane.
Stephanie