PDA

View Full Version : Schertler DYN-M

travisburch
Feb-01-2005, 10:30pm
Have any DYN-M users ever had this happen?

I went to take off my Schertler pickup after practicing with it and the tiny little round black piece in the middle that actually touches the mandolin came off. #What can I do about it?

siren_20
Feb-01-2005, 10:47pm
Woah! You're lucky you caught that little guy...I just checked mine (sn 6721, relatively close to yours) and the dot seems to still be in place. #What does the area under the dot look like...is it a diaphragm, a moving part?
You should contact Schertler about this...keep us posted!

travisburch
Feb-02-2005, 12:11am
Under the dot?

No moving parts, the surface is one molded piece. You can probably see from the picture that it a circular shaped concave-ish slot for the dot to fit in - I believe the dot sticks out to just touch the surface of the mandolin to pick up the vibrations. I guess I'll have to contact Schertler or maybe First Quality where I ordered it from.

siren I can relate to your quote about the ukelele!

siren_20
Feb-02-2005, 12:22am
Hmm...it might be possible to glue it in, mine looks like the little dot is glued into the divot. #I bought mine from FQMS, too...great folks to deal with.
An aside about the ukulele comment in my profile header: It happens about once a week here, some person will walk by my dorm room and say "Is that a ukulele?" #And imagine my dismay when I recently went to a Glen Phillips show where Sean and Sara Watkins were guests, and singer/songwriter Jon Brion sat in and played some of Chris' mandolin parts ON A FREAKING UKE! (Chris, sadly, was not there). It was cool, but it kinda pissed me off, too! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

delsbrother
Feb-02-2005, 12:43am
What's wrong with a ukulele?

WireBoy
Feb-02-2005, 1:55am
yeah, bruddah. ukes aint no bad thing.

siren_20
Feb-02-2005, 2:13am
Oh, there's nothing wrong with ukes, I love 'em...I play uke, too, but it's just frustrating sometimes when people think you're playing a uke and it's a mando! The age old problem....no offense intended...and back to the Schertler...
[/end threadjacking]

mandroid
Feb-02-2005, 10:07pm
Back on topic, my DynM's grey paint on the topside is peeling off, enough comes off #then I Guess #Ill paint it black.
'i see my red door' , etc,
thanks for the cautionary tale.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif
[what no touch up paint?]

travisburch
Feb-02-2005, 11:26pm
so it will be less noticeable on your mando?

Yellowmandolin
Feb-03-2005, 9:09pm
What does that little thing do anyway? Is it necessary for it to sound right, or could you just keep using the pickup without it?

travisburch
Feb-03-2005, 10:53pm
From what I can tell, the little thing sticks down and touches the wood on the mandolin, picking up the vibrations... It actually protrudes out from the rest of the pickup (which is supported by the ring of putty around the center).

I noticed it sounded bad the time I used it and broke, but I figured my settings on my preamp had been changed or something...

erick
Feb-08-2005, 11:16pm
BTW- that cat Jon Brion is a manic wacko musical genius who owns and can play a semi-trailer full of instruments. He's done a bunch of work with Aimee Mann, Fiona Apple and others. It doesn't suprise me that he played Thile's parts on a ukelele, next time he'll play 'em ( well) on a tuba!