Lane Pryce
Jan-26-2005, 3:19pm
For all you users of TE was it worth the $55.00? Lp

Tom C
Jan-26-2005, 3:25pm
I just use the viewer and it was free.

glauber
Jan-26-2005, 4:25pm
I'm asking myself the same question. It's a very nice program, but i don't use tablature enough to justify buying it. I guess the answer depends on how often you need to write tablature.

TeleMark
Jan-26-2005, 4:43pm
I'm probably not worthy of commenting, but it seems more like it would be worth $20-30. I'd pay that much to be able to print out sheet music, but nearly $60 is a bit too much for me.

I'd love it if there were Mando stuff for Powertabs (http://www.powertabs.net/)... This is a great application and totally free.

Dolamon
Jan-27-2005, 4:54am
Worth it? It depends on what you want to get done. This is one of the least expensive programs if you want to write multiple parts for up to 17 (!) instruments and ... it will create midi files and three other types of electronic output. I use it for not only mandolin, mandola (alto clef so a violist can read it directly), but for MandoCello bass, guitar and flute.

I found it extremely simple to try modified tunings, drone pieces, drone back up etc. At this time I have about 6200 tunes catalogued in Classical, Celtic, Scots tunes, Jazz etc. i've worked through no less than 50 forms of double stop studies and modified a bunch of arpeggio studies from various Violin books.

Worth it? If you want to expand your reading, learn a LOT of different types of music and are willing to take the time to get proffecient in an esoteric program, definately worth it. Comparing it to Finale or Sibelius, it is about 1/3d the price and - actually a pretty fast way of entering either tab or notation. Part of the price - is that the TablEdit team is constantly upgrading the features on the program and making it more user friendly. Upgrades and support take time from a working individual ... their time is worth something. And - they don't charge for upgrades.

Spencer
Jan-27-2005, 8:57am
I bought my version quite a while back, I don't remember what I paid for, but to me it would be worth the 55$ that it costs today.

For the original price I have received several updates, including a version I use on the Mac. I have written quite a bit of music into it, and have also found it very useful for figuring out the timing where I wasn't sure in standard notation. If one doesn't want to learn standard notation, it is pretty easy to put stuff in tab format. Have even converted a midi file to tab/notation.

But if you just want to use the things that other folks write, then the viewer is fine, that's what its for.

Spencer

Dru Lee Parsec
Jan-27-2005, 7:20pm
I think if you're a music teacher it would easily be worth $55.

If you're just wanting to learn tunes then the free viewer is probably enough.

Clyde Clevenger
Jan-28-2005, 1:20am
I teach mandolin and guitar. I use Tabledit everyday, writing lessons, arranging tunes for students. I've tried a few other music programs, Tabledit is by far the easiest, and best program I've found. I paid five times as much for a program that I really never did figure out. 'course I only play downstrokes.