PDA

View Full Version : The 1 mic Bluegrass type recording.

telepbrman
Jan-26-2005, 5:15am
Hey, if I was to buy one mic for a group setting, two or three of us doing Bluegrass, which mic should I get? Thanks, dy.

mike_c
Jan-26-2005, 8:02am
audio-technica at-4033

Fuzzyway
Jan-26-2005, 9:00am
The Audio Technica 4033 is a great mic. You might also want to check out the Audio T. 4047. Its a little warmer sounding than the 4033. You won't go wrong with either.

Best, Fuzzy

cbogle
Jan-26-2005, 9:07am
I agree with Fuzzy on the AT4047. I own one and it is a most excellent mic for ensembles. Unfortunately, I believe it's been discontinued (I hope I'm incorrect about that). I picked mine up new in '03 at a Guitar Center on closeout for $99.00 (not bad for a mic with a retail of about $750.00).

telepbrman
Jan-26-2005, 9:17am
Great info, thanks dy...

Pete Martin
Jan-26-2005, 12:23pm
My suggestion is the Shure KSM 44, which is a multi pattern mic with 2 roll off settings. You see this mic used by a lot of top touring pros, Rhonda Vincent, Nickle Creek, Alison Kraus, etc. It can be had on Ebay new for around 500.00.

You can also get the KSM32 or KSM27 for less, but they have less features. The KSM44 is especially good for either stage or recording. It is my go to mic for many acoustic instruments in the studio, always mandolin.

telepbrman
Jan-26-2005, 12:40pm
Good call, the item I am looking for is a omnidirectional mic? Yes? Thanks, dy.

Spruce
Jan-26-2005, 1:13pm
"Good call, the item I am looking for is a omnidirectional mic? #Yes?"

No....

You are looking for a large diaphram condenser microphone with a cardiod pattern....
And I would go with Pete's advice on this one if you have the scratch. #The KSM 44 is a fine microphone...

The 4033 is an OK mic, but I think it gets a lot more attention than it deserves for the one-mic application simply because quite a few high-profile bands (Doyle, the McCourys, etc.) used one.

There are scads of LDCs these days that will do the job nicely, including the AKG 414, the EV2000, the Sony C-48, and about 14,389 different brands made in China that you can pick up for a C-note...

You might check these threads (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=Search&CODE=02&SID=41f7de3360bbb219) for much much much more info....

telepbrman
Jan-27-2005, 12:16am
Big help, thanks 100%, What do you all know about the following: Nady RSM-2 and MXL 960? Later, dy.

Pete Martin
Jan-27-2005, 12:44pm
I haven't heard this Nady, but heard a number of others. They are cheap mics, poorly made. Can't say about the MXL 960.

Spruce
Jan-27-2005, 12:51pm
I just now noticed that the title of this thread is "The 1 mic Bluegrass type recording."

Are we talking recording here, or stagework?

Because if we're talking recording, you might want to consider a multi-pattern mic that you can put in the center of a circle of players to record them...
The KSM44 would be ideal...

I've always wanted to do a BG band recording using 2 figure-8 ribbons like an RCA BK-11 or 44BX pointed off-axis to one another in the center of a band, with maybe a mic on the bass...
And call it a day...

I think this is how a lot of the old classic recordings were made....

Pete Martin
Jan-27-2005, 12:56pm
You could kill 2 birds with one stone, buy the KSM 44 and use in cardiod for stage and in omni for recording.

I'd love to try that recording setup you described as well, Bruce. Call me up if you need a guinea pig, or a guitar player. As I only have one figure 8 mic, a Royer R121, I need to find another I guess. Was thinking of trying my Royer and the M500 I got from you in an M/S setup sometime, especially for a fiddle recording.

When you going to Winteregrass?

Spruce
Jan-27-2005, 1:06pm
"As I only have one figure 8 mic, a Royer R121, I need to find another I guess."

That stereo Royer or the new stereo Wes Dooley ribbon would be the cheese...
I have a pair of BK11's that would work really well too....

"When you going to Winteregrass? "

I'll get there Thursday...
Have to be at the booth the next morning, so I can probably only stay up till 5 or that evening...
See ya there...

telepbrman
Jan-28-2005, 12:52am
Spruce: Yep, the one mic and circle and recording theme is the deal....dy.

mike_c
Jan-28-2005, 9:45am
i have done several band recordings with 2 at-4033's together in x-y- stereo and a mic on the bass..it works great..i personally think the the 4033 is a fantastic live one mic setup..i have used others but still like it the best..it's off access sound is so much like the on access sound it is remarkable...things change in the mic world through the years but it is still darn impressive

mrbook
Jan-28-2005, 10:59am
I use the AT 4033, but also have a AKG C3000 that I bought as a spare, but find I use it more and more live and for recording.

Moose
Jan-28-2005, 12:03pm
This is off-topic, but a good BG "story" ; I read somewhere(!?#) that Lester told a very young Marty Stuart(sp.)... "...son, you better learn these PATTERNS, or you're gonna' get your head knocked off." - (hee.. hee. I'd say he probably learned 'em real quick!) - Now back to the program... Moose. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif