PDA

View Full Version : Radiused Fretboard  vs. Not

mandobando
Jan-25-2005, 1:13pm
Can some explain the pros and cons of having a radiused fretboard. As you can see I am a bit uneducated on the subject. I have been playing mandolin for a while now and am looking for a new axe. This spec is one that I keep running across and I would appreciate any info that may help me in the decision process. By the way, I am assuming that my current mandolin does not have a radiused fretboard since it is very cheap. Thanks.

John Flynn
Jan-25-2005, 1:28pm
A radiused fretboard is curved, from side to side, like a violin fretboard. A non-radiused fretboard is flat. The term describes an imaginary circle that could be drawn if the curve continued 360 degrees. The inches of radius would be the radius of that circle, so the lower the number, the more the curve. Mandolin radius measurements go from about 9" to about 16", although there are some that are outside of that range. Compound radiuses start out with more curve at the nut and then flatten out towards the end of the board. A simple radius is all one radius measurement down the board.

Traditional mandolins and modern inexpensive mandolins tend to have non-radiused boards. Whether to pick one or the other is personal preference. The radius fans felel like that configuration is more ergonomic and therefore conducive to better playability and less stress on the hand and wrist. Flat fans feel that configuration is more traditional and therefore what they are used to. You can get most mandos with a radius on special order and you can have any mando retrofitted for a few hundred bucks. However, if you like to shop, buy and sell a lot, what is out on the market will mostly have flat boards.

Lane Pryce
Jan-25-2005, 3:13pm
Although my current Gibson mandolin has a flat board I have had both and from my experience the radius does play a bit easier.A great example for you try would be any of the Breedlove or Rigel mandolins. Lp

mike_c
Jan-26-2005, 8:10am
the curved finger board tends to be easier on the tendons in the hand and wrist.i have had both and all things being equal, i'd go for the radiused fingerboard (the first radiused finger board was designed by monteleone for grisman to help with the tendonitis he was having at that time) it does seem to change the machanics involved in the hand

johnwalser
Jan-26-2005, 4:35pm
I owned and got rid of a Rigel mandolin and a Rickenbacker guitar, both with radiused fretboards. I never found either instrument as easy to play as ones with flat fretboards and wouldn't give a plug nickle for another. However, I might just be crazy since I am in the very small minority that feel this way.
John

jim_n_virginia
Feb-02-2005, 5:24am
John you aren't alone. I prefer a flat fretboard too and I can play faster on my flat fretboad than many with a radius fretboard can.

It's all in what you are used to playing. I started out on flatboards and it is just what I am used to.

Bob A
Feb-02-2005, 11:20am
While I'm not sure of the date, the first radiused board I'm aware of on a mandolin was developed by Luigi Embergher in the 1890s.

As Jim states, it's what you're used to. (I love the wide flat thick neck of my '21 F4).

mrbook
Feb-02-2005, 12:29pm
I like a flat fretboard and small frets, no matter what anyone says.