PDA

View Full Version : Extra E strings

Slim Pickins
Jan-22-2005, 5:04pm
Many of us break an E string when changing strings. I found a place that just sells single strings. JustStrings.Com,inc. D'Addario J74 is what I use. You can order them on the internet. You have to use your credit card as they don't accept checks mailed to them. They are .69 each. I order 7. I must say the service was terrific 2 days and I had them in first Class Mail. I am happy with that Company. juststrings.com

acousticphd
Jan-22-2005, 7:51pm
I know many folks here are very partial to favorite brands, for which JustStrings.com is a very good source. A couple other places online sell both bulk sets and single mandolin strings, as many know. I'll just mention one company that I've used for bulk and single mando, banjo, and guitar strings for the last couple of years - Euphonon Company Strings (http://www.hotworship.com/euphonon/euphonon.html). No personal interest whatsoever, they just seem like "little guys" who charge less than everyone else, which I appreciate. Their plain steel mando strings (0.011 or 0.014) are $2.40/dozen. A dozen full sets (11, 14, 26, 40 gauges, phosphor bronze) is $23. A downside is that those are the only loop-end mando strings available. Because they sell a range of guitar and banjo string guages though, I can put together sets of mando, mandola, tenor guitar, regular guitar etc. all in one order. They also sell Schaller mando tuners for $36 and $45, plus some other instrument accesories.

Jan-23-2005, 10:09am
I usually break my A string. My E has been very good to me.

mmukav
Jan-23-2005, 11:55am
Love that picture!

We went through this on another thread a while back. (breaking strings when re-stringing) I always tune up the E and A's very slowly. Bring them up, let 'em sit for a while, bring them up some more, let them sit, etc., etc.
This has helped me prevent breakage on those pesky thin strings. Try it!

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Greenmando
Jan-23-2005, 1:04pm
If they continue to break in the same spot it could be a sharp spot on the nut. But I bring mine up slowly as well.

Jan-23-2005, 6:13pm
Thanks for the kind thoughts about my picture. Its a little big but i think it will have to do. GDAE

David M.
Jan-28-2005, 9:15pm
FQMS (First Quality Music Supply) supplies single strings.