PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Instrument #Newsletters & Sites

Michael Gowell
Jan-19-2005, 3:55pm
I really like reading about vintage instruments, and the Cafe is the best thing I've found. #Occasionally I look at the D-28 Forum and even the Banjo Hangout, but find them less satisfying. #I think I've seen most of the standing (fixed/non-contributory) sites like the Mandolin Archives,
the various Vintage Guitar sites, Museum of Musical Instruments, etc.

The other ongoing sources of info I've noted are the dealers' instruments-for-sale lists like Mandolin Brothers (a little more sizzle than steak, for my taste) and George Gruhn's bimonthly e-newslettter (which frankly seems very repetitive - "you've already missed most of the good vintage investment opportunities" over and over.)

Can anyone suggest other sources of interesting instrument info? #Maybe I need to start spending more $ on hardcover books - any recommendations?

danb
Jan-19-2005, 4:10pm
I think I've seen most of the standing (fixed/non-contributory) sites like the Mandolin Archives,
the various Vintage Guitar sites, Museum of Musical Instruments, etc.
Well so far this year I've had about 40 submissions, but I figure you're talking about articles & stories?

I think the most intersting stuff going on these days is "as it happens".. the cafe is where I found out about 5 previously unknown Loars in 2004, and lots of stuff crops up here if you know which forums to watch!

Michael Gowell
Jan-19-2005, 5:24pm
I agree, Dan, the Cafe is tops. #And I do appreciate the way the Mando Archives continue to grow. #I've accumulated all the back issues of Mandolin World News and many back issues of 'Frets' magazine. #Even tracked down a PhD dissertation on the history of the Gibson Co. #I'm just always looking for more...

danb
Jan-20-2005, 1:34am
Interesting, who was the author of the dissertation? Is it "findable" ?

Michael Gowell
Jan-21-2005, 1:28pm
Sorry to have been slow on this - I misremembered the author & title and it took a while to track down (it was 17 years ago that I read it.)

It's 'Mandolins in the United States since 1880: An Industrial and Sociocultural History of Forms' by Scott Hambly. #It's a 1977 PhD dissertation from the Univ. of Pennsylvania. #According to a very helpful librarian at the Univ. of Michigan there is just one chapter about the Gibson company, but I remember the whole thing as very interesting.

It can be borrowed by anyone through their local library's Inter-Library Loan program from one of the dozen university libraries that have a copy. #Copies can be purchased from an outfit called University Microfilms International at 800-521-3042. #The publication number is 7806592. #Softbound cost is $59 ($47 if you're a student or professor) or $89 hardbound ($59/academic).

According to my internet search Scott Hambly was/is a very good mandolinist - in the early 60's he played mando in a Berkley CA group called the Country Boys along with near-mythical guitarist Clarence White. #That group later became the Kentucky Colonels. #Scott gave some first mando lessons to a high-school boy named Chris Hillman, later of the Byrds & the Flying Burrito Brothers.

Scott, are you out there? #Hard to believe he's not a member of MC if he's still with us.

I realize now that I should have posted this in the 'Looking For Information' forum. #Maybe a moderator can move it.

Bob DeVellis
Jan-21-2005, 9:41pm
Michael, you sound like my kind of guy. I've also got a copy of Hambly's dissertation. I actually just ordered the loose pages and put it into a 3-ring binder, which was the cheapest option. If you're still looking around for info on vintage instruments, this (http://bellsouthpwp.net/r/d/rdevelli/)might entertain you for a little bit.

Michael Gowell
Jan-22-2005, 12:01pm
Bob - thanks very much. #I'm really enjoying that site.