PDA

View Full Version : Bush Vs. Monroe: Strings

Jonathan James
Jan-19-2005, 7:01am
Does anyone know if there are significant differences between the Bush and Monroe monel strings or are they the same, just marketing differences?? Done any comparisons?

Jim Gallaher
Jan-19-2005, 7:15am
Sam Bush: .011/.014/.025/.041, Monel wound G & D, with extra A & E strings
Bill Monroe: .011/.015/.026/.041, Phosphor Bronze wound G & D, plain steel A & E

It's been my experience that the Bill Monroe's have the brighter, more metallic sound of phosphor bronze when new, while the Sam Bush's have a mellower, more broken-in sound out of the box.

I used the Sam Bush's on my LaPlant F-5 until switching to D'Addario FS74's recently.

earthsave
Jan-20-2005, 12:18pm
There are/were some Gibson Monel strings as well (not sure if they are Monroe though), that just do not supply the extra A and E strings. I believe these are exactly the same gauge as the Bush monels.

Greg H.
Jan-20-2005, 9:14pm
There have been a lot of opinions expressed on this topic Look here (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=8;t=20093;hl=bush+and+monro e)

Jonathan James
Jan-20-2005, 9:15pm
Great. Thanks.

Scotti Adams
Jan-20-2005, 9:17pm
..Monroes are not Monel wound....The Bushs are...The Bushs are the same string that were marketed under Gibson Monel wound..the only diff is the extra strings...the Mons are bronze....

Jonathan James
Jan-21-2005, 6:19am
Yeah, I do like the tone of the monels but I recall reading/hearing somewhere that the monel-type strings can accelerate fret wear. Don't know if that is #### or not...