PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin string winder crank

donavit
Jan-19-2005, 6:05am
Looking for a string winder crank to fit F mandolin. Have a "one size fits all" winder but this does not clear the adjacent tuner buttons.
Thanks, Guy D.
Stuart, Fl.

John Flynn
Jan-19-2005, 8:06am
I like the Dean Markley "Turbo Tune." It clears the adjacent buttons on a mando, it has a multi-faceted slot that holds different sized buttons from different instruments and the head pops out of the crank and pops into an electric screwdriver. Here is link. I have seen them sold in music stores.
http://www.deanmarkley.com/Accessories/TurboTune.shtml

Mike Crocker
Jan-19-2005, 8:16am
I too like the Turbo Tune. The Planet Waves crank works well, but my favourite is a homemade one born of the scrap bin in my shop.

Poor man's solution.

Peace, Mooh.

recklessmando
Jan-19-2005, 11:41am
I like mine just fine. Bought it from Clyde Clevenger at www.bluegrassboutique.com. Nice work. Choosing the wood was the hardest part.

straight-a
Jan-20-2005, 11:44am
I have a Planet Waves that works fine.

Mando Medic
Jan-25-2005, 8:18am
I have one that I use daily made by Clyde Clevenger of Salem Oregon. Go to www.bluegrassboutique.com. Lynn Dudenbostel also makes a dandy, handy winder. Kenc

sunburst
Jan-25-2005, 9:50am
Steve Smith makes them.

jamann
Feb-09-2005, 9:46am
Check out the Mando Crank at www.blugrasspilots.com
I think they are $12.60 with shipping and have a lifetime guarantee. I use one and they work great. Look pretty cool too.
jamann
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Feb-09-2005, 6:28pm
I think its easier to use your fingers. Those things seem to slip off and get in the way. When i use my hands i seem to get the job done faster. I don't know it's probably my finger size or something.

RobP
Feb-11-2005, 11:00am
Do you carry those in your shop Ken?

Rob

Yellowmandolin
Feb-11-2005, 6:29pm
I just use a $2 guitar string winder and turn the other tuners upright so I get more clearence.

8ch(pl)
Feb-12-2005, 7:37am
I always wind the string around the post, put it through the hole, then tighten the tuner. Start by lining up the string through the bridge and nut. Two turns for the wound strings, three for the unwound. I make sure I have neat winds up the post before tightening.

Jack Roberts
Feb-12-2005, 2:10pm
I bought a cheap guitar crank, sawed it right down the middle of the slot, to reduce the width, and glued it back together with gorilla glue. Perfect fit. Cheap price.

cameron
Mar-03-2005, 2:49pm
I have fashioned "mandolin" string winders from cheap guitar winders;but the absolute best IMHO is the Dudenbostel string winder;I have one in curly maple and one in rosewood. They are beautiful and clear the buttons perfectly. Perfection is always expensive.

Lane Pryce
Mar-03-2005, 5:42pm
Steve Smith at Cumberland Acoustics makes a neat one.Lp

Paul Hostetter
Mar-04-2005, 3:58am
Here's the one I use most. It begins life as a $1 Scotty. I cut the end off and glue a piece of plastic to close that side to make a smaller receptacle. An extra-heavy pick works well for this. After that's dry and trimmed, I also file off the opening, lowering it and rounding it so it can't hit the edges of the headstock.

http://www.lutherie.net/stringwinders.jpg

I like these better than the turbo because they're smaller, they don't leave black smudges, and they're in bright colors which make them easy to find in the shop.

drelb
Mar-04-2005, 7:27am
I also purchased a crank from Clyde Clevenger at www.bluegrassboutique.com. Works great, looks beautiful and nice people to deal with. Highly recommended.

Hoovetone
Mar-04-2005, 8:02am
I do what Paul does with one dollar winders. It's very easy, takes 5 minutes and works as well as a 30 -35 dollar one that no one but you will see anyway.

G'DAE
Mar-06-2005, 6:06pm
I borrowed an idea from another thread on this subject.
Take an eraser, cut to fit into guitar winder. Then cut to fit your machine head! Works perfect!

Scotti Adams
Mar-06-2005, 6:24pm
...my recommendation is Steve Smith at # Cumberlandacoustics.com # #Steve will do you right....I bought one a couple of years ago...class act winder from a class act fellow...

Clyde Clevenger
Mar-06-2005, 7:12pm
I would buy mine from Clyde Clevenger at www.Bluegrassboutique.com. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

dave42
Apr-04-2005, 9:10pm
This past weekend I made a winder like the one Paul Hostetter has pictured. I came across a 'Scotty' I had in a box, and the rest is history. Perfect. Thanks for the tip!!
Dave

Paul Hostetter
Apr-04-2005, 10:02pm
Dang, Clyde lost a sale and it's all my fault.

Unseen122
Apr-05-2005, 9:04pm
I think its easier to use your fingers. Those things seem to slip off and get in the way. When i use my hands i seem to get the job done faster. I don't know it's probably my finger size or something.
I feel the same way I have always found string winders annoying my Dad (guitar player) always uses them but I can't.

Clyde Clevenger
Apr-05-2005, 11:48pm
Dang, Clyde lost a sale and it's all my fault.

--------------
ph

Jeez, there goes my retirement, my grandaughters new shoes, my new Jag and my 7th mandolin, this one was going to be a Dudenbostel, just a couple more Clydewinder sales. I'm really bummed now.

Scotti Adams
Apr-06-2005, 5:46pm
I just purchased a winder/clipper combo made by D'Adarrio from Greg Boyds..its a great little tool..

Clyde Clevenger
Apr-08-2005, 9:38pm
Greg doesn't have any grandkids and he's not retiring anytime soon.

flairbzzt
Apr-08-2005, 10:39pm
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif That story makes me so sad I'll have to buy one from your catalog. Just show me a picture of yourself wearing one of your t-shirts,one of your ties, a pair of your suspenders, and a set of those pick+string earrings from said catalog, and I will!

Clyde Clevenger
Apr-09-2005, 9:49am
You didn't think the new Jag was a little over the top. I'm new to retail, you know.

flairbzzt
Apr-09-2005, 10:16am
I'll have to ask Greg what he drives. I've been making the payments on whatever it is lately. Meanwhile, I'll expect that photo with your response for all to see. I'm sure the $$ will come pouring in after that...

Clyde Clevenger
Apr-09-2005, 10:31am
I can't really post that picture, it would just change too many things. Wemmins would start hounding me again, I'd get rich and all my friends would resent me again and drivin' that Jag around would take up all my pickin' time and my new Dude would just sit and get dusty.???

flairbzzt
Apr-09-2005, 10:55am
I'll have to send you an e-mail: I tried to order one, but your website wouldn't let me. And I don't have waverly tuners, but I do have waverly ebony buttons.

Mark Normand
Apr-21-2005, 2:29pm
I use Paul's method too, cut off the end, and wrapped black electrical tape to re-form the box. Done in minutes, still using after 2-3 years!