PDA

View Full Version : A style in Calton case

mandolooter
Jan-18-2005, 6:25pm
Hi folks, I was looking into a Calton case for my A style mando and noticed they just seem to have F style cases. Do the "custom" ones come specifically to fit a F style only or did I misread/understand. Im hoping one of you'all have info or pic before I commit to one. Im tired of dragging my suitcase sized rectangle case around but I gotta have some storage for xtra strings, picks and my tuner in the case too so the Eastmans are out. A big thanks to any and all who can help!
Jeff
If ya have or take a pic, could ya open the storage so's I can see it's size/shape also.

Bradley
Jan-18-2005, 8:16pm
The A is the same in storage....

Great Divide has a used A case for $300

sunburst
Jan-18-2005, 8:55pm
When you order a Calton case from Calton, or through a Calton dealer, there is an order form that you fill out and a thorough set of measurements. You are also asked to send a tracing of the instrument, and the case you get will fit.

Calton does have patterns and measurements on file for most of the commonly encountered instruments, so that you could specify: "for a Gibson A5L", for example, and get a case that fits.

The shell of the case and the storage capacity will be the same as the Calton for an "F".

Mace
Jan-18-2005, 9:34pm
I just received a Calton A used from Elderly yesterday. Took a chance knowing Elderly's return policy. It fits my Givens A like a glove. I always thought overpriced, now I'm thinking of another for a guitar. Quality product, plenty of room for a tuner and strings.

Clyde Clevenger
Jan-18-2005, 11:48pm
I just found out my Givens A fits perfectly in my Calton F case, with the tone guard. So, get an F case, you never know when scroll envy will strike, then you are set.

mandolooter
Jan-21-2005, 12:50am
If I get the case, scroll eveny will be set back a few more years...I can't afford a 2G strap holder!

Many thanks to all who answered my question. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

dr.jazz
Feb-02-2005, 6:42pm
If there is ever a chance you may get a case of scroll envy, I'd opt for a Calton F case. Besides, it gives you space for your strap!

I've been involved with Caltons for over 20 years and am the largest Calton dealer in the country. It's pretty rare to find a mandolin that is not a clone of the the Gibson F/A 5. Though it does happen. Calton has patterns for most mandolins available these days.

Mike
<http://www.acousticguitar.net>

mandolooter
Feb-04-2005, 3:16am
Yea after thinking about it for a while, I guess ya never really know when Scroll Envy will hit or how hard and I was a Boy Scout way back when...Be Prepared keeps ringing in my head...F style it is...wonder if that one mentioned is still available.
Thanks for the guidance friends, I can hard be headed at times and not think long term. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Gary S
Feb-04-2005, 8:21am
The vintage Gibson oval hole mandolins have a smaller neck. This could cause stress on the mandolin at the storage compartment of the case. Probably most modern a models with longer necks will work fine...Gary S

Mandobar
Feb-04-2005, 8:31am
i keep two of my brentrup A's in caltons. never had a problem.

Pete Martin
Feb-04-2005, 3:17pm
My Calton works fine for my 1924 A2. Did bust the scroll on my Gilchrist F5, though.