PDA

View Full Version : non-bridge based pickup?

jim_n_virginia
Jan-16-2005, 3:18am
I presently have a Brekke bridge on my 95 Flatiron. I would like to keep it as it sounds great and I am 100% happy with it.

The only pickups for mandolins in my area are the Fishman bridge pickups. Since I don't want to replace the bridge I need some recommendations for other types of pickups.

Any websites that deal with different ways to add a pickup to a mandolin? I probably will go for a jack at the strap button as I am not ever going to sell this mandolin.

I gig with this mandolin a lot so I need it to fit in the case easily without carpenter jacks, clamps etc.

And if anyone has one for sale email me ghentactor@aol.com

Thanks! # http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Lefty&French
Jan-16-2005, 5:24am
Schertler Dyn M. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

jim_n_virginia
Jan-16-2005, 9:17am
Yeah i looked at the Shertlers online as they have good reviews. But they are pretty expensive. I probably would have to actually hear my mandolin with one on before I would pay that much. Doesn't it just stick on without permanently attaching? Do you have one? What do you think of the sound? Thanks for replying.

23 looks and one reply I guess everyone plays through a mic, #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

That is what i have been doing and it's killing my back. Plus I want to move around a bit.

Anyone have any of the K&K hot dot thingies? Sure would like to hear what an owner thinks of it and the experiences they've had.

#http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Lefty&French
Jan-16-2005, 2:05pm
Bought one (DynM Schertler) two years ago, after one waiting year reading posts here...
I use it on gigs (+ a Shure SM57) and it's really better than piezos. Plus, no preamp really needed, XLR output, stick on without permanently attaching. Simple and efficient, IMHO.

John Rosett
Jan-16-2005, 2:28pm
go down to radio shack, and buy a couple of the doorbell piezo boxes they sell. they're only a couple of bucks. break open the box, and take out the little crystal on a brass plate. solder it up to an output jack, and away you go. it's good to buy a few, as the output varies. you can stick it to the outside of your mando to find the best location, then put it inside and install an endpin jack. with all the money you'll save, you can get a nice pre-amp.
i have this setup in my mandolin and also in my archtop guitar. i like them better than the "piezo film" pickups that i have tried. they have enough output that you don't really have to have a preamp, but it's nice to have control of your sound where you can get at it, and not be at the mercy of the soundman.
good luck, john

Mike Bunting
Jan-16-2005, 7:07pm
AKG C411 is stick-on condenser that works very well for me and not super expensive.

mandroid
Jan-16-2005, 10:16pm
I have #a Schertler, the F5 Lebeda I got, came with an in-bridge pickup and nice button/jack, I rarely use it. schertler sounds better. Taking it off is not much bother, I put a piece of plastic in the box to stick to the clay like mounting putty, leaving it on the pickup., it goes in box upside down...
Akg C411 is the other soundboard contact mic,as its of the #Condenser type , needs phantom power , most mixers provide for this.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Ancient
Jan-17-2005, 9:59am
The Shadow SH2000 works very well.

Michael Lewis
Jan-18-2005, 12:56am
Pick Up The World makes a piezo strip that fits directly under the foot of the bridge. Call them with the exact measurements and they will make one to fit perfectly.

sjusk
Jan-18-2005, 7:52am
I bought the K&K BigShot for my old Kalamazoo, and I wonīt say itīs bad and I wonīt say itīs super. Iīll say itīs inexpensive. You have to use a mixer or other device to work out the sound as you want it. Itīs a transducer, and wonīt need a preamp. At first I placed it right behind the bridge, but it makes the top VERY sensitive - you could probably hear a fly taking a stroll on your mandolin. Now I have it wedged between the bridge and the saddle, thatīs better I think, only makes the bridge sensitive, but I guess thatīs not possible with a Brekke.
Iīve only played through my Carvin A100 (accoustic ampliphier) so far, and Iīm not 100% pleased. Maybe better gear will provide a better result, I hope so.
I have been experimenting with a combination of the K&K and playing through a Shure57, but not a big succes.
What I really want is a Countryman at the treble F-hole and a Rane accoustic preamp, but that will cost me more than twice the money I paid for the Kalamazoo.

Good luck
Søren

kurtwestphal
Jan-18-2005, 12:49pm
I also use the AKG c-411. I have have been very happy with it, and it switches between my mandolin ,banjo, and acoustic guitar in seconds.

Yellowmandolin
Jan-21-2005, 10:05pm
I second the Schertler. I was really impressed with it's ability to get the chop sounding right, something my fishman couldn't do.

Dfyngravity
Jan-21-2005, 10:27pm
Schertler is def. the way to go. I know Chris Thile swears by his. And his mando usually sounds fantastic through it at concerts. I have one and I don't think there is anything much better other than playing unlugged playing in a recording studio.

mando-in-kingwood
Jan-21-2005, 11:13pm
Try a Dean Markley pickup..........

Michael Wolf
Jan-22-2005, 5:39am
I owned Schertler and the AKG C411. I found the AKG doesn't sound bader than the Schertler and it is nearly for free in comparison. I now use the AKG, somtimes in combination with an Barcus Berry Mando-Humbucker which sounds good, though a bit like jazzguitar(matter of taste) but a warmer sound than piezo. In my opinion the Schertler is a bit overrated, especially for that price.
BTW.: Headway from England is a great sounding system. I don't have it, but played it on music fair (where Schertler was also present) and I prefered it to anything else so far.

Cheers
Michael

Michael Wolf
Jan-22-2005, 5:46am
Sorry,
forgot that the Headway has to be installed in bridge. So this was off topic.

Michael