PDA

View Full Version : Tonegards 'n' cases

Mike Bunting
Jan-15-2005, 6:54pm
I'm wondering which cases will fit a mando with a tonegard on it.

onlyagibsonisgoodenuff
Jan-15-2005, 7:02pm
My Calton case accepts my Gibson Fern with one installed.

pathfinder
Jan-15-2005, 7:08pm
My Calton handles a Weber Bridger F with a tonegard installed.

onlyagibsonisgoodenuff
Jan-15-2005, 7:17pm
Greg Boyd has a fresh supply of Caltons. No financial interest.

El Rey del Mando
Jan-15-2005, 7:49pm
I have the tone gard on all my mandos.Some are in golden gate cases,some are in tkl cases.They all fit with no problem.The tone gard rests only 3/4 inch off the back of the instrument and sinks into the padding in the case with ease.You won't even know it's there.By the way, my instruments are all F models.Hope this helps.

John

jasona
Jan-15-2005, 9:02pm
My A model fits into a TKL case with one on.

Mike Bunting
Jan-15-2005, 11:48pm
I already keep my F in a Calton and it has been fine altho' the Calton shop in Calgary offered to remove the little foam pad that sits on the underside of the top and rests on the tail piece. They were worried that with the tonegard, there would be too much pressure on the top at that point. I did some measuring and decided that there was no problem. I was considering another case and save the Calton for travel etc. Has anyone tried the Bobolink with a tonegard? Thanks for the input so far.

Buddah
Jan-16-2005, 9:32pm
Sorry about hijacking the thread, but I was wondering if a tone-gard will interfere with an arm rest. Anybody out there using a Siren arm rest with a Tone-gard? Thanks

jasona
Jan-16-2005, 10:12pm
The Tone Guards leave soem space at the edge so you can use both together. I will be getting my arm rest tomorrow and I'll let you know how it goes

ronlane3
Jan-16-2005, 10:54pm
I have not used the arm rest with my tonegaurd, but I will have an arm rest this week, and I will be trying it out.

SternART
Jan-17-2005, 10:45am
I have both TGards & Sirens on several mandos......it might require sliding one of the TGard's spacers over a bit.

jasona
Jan-17-2005, 2:47pm
Just received and installed my new armrest from Elderly (I think its a Cumberland?) and it fits with no problem. I quite like it already!

levin4now
Jan-18-2005, 9:11am
You say the Tonegard rests 3/4" off the back? Do you mean the gap b/w the two or the overall amount of space that is added to the instrument?

I don't know if I'd try it with my Travelite. The foam seems too dense to be able to add another, what, 3/4 - 1" more. I was considering buying the one that was in the classies the other day but....

Mike Bunting, You wouldn't happen to also be a birdwatcher? The Freudian slip of calling a Bobelock case a "Bobolink" had me wondering...

Lane Pryce
Jan-18-2005, 9:18am
Mike Bunting, #You wouldn't happen to also be a birdwatcher? #The Freudian slip of calling a Bobelock case a "Bobolink" had me wondering...
Alan you guys kill me wit de wit!!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif Lp

duuuude
Jan-18-2005, 3:06pm
It fits fine with my Travelite, but I don't think my tone-gard sits 3/4" off the mando, maybe about 1/2" and that sinks into the foam just fine. Seemed a little snug at first but hasn't given me a problem. Don't think I'll be so lucky when I add the arm rest, though.

El Rey del Mando
Jan-19-2005, 4:13pm
You are right Mike,The tone gard is only 1/2 in. off the back.I just guessed when I chimed in. Next time I'll break out the ruler.All mine are a hair over 1/2 in.
John

Scotti Adams
Jan-19-2005, 5:14pm
Fits on the Rose Im playing while in my Calton.

Rich Michaud
Jan-19-2005, 5:24pm
The TG fits in a Pegasus as well. Rich

El Rey del Mando
Jan-19-2005, 6:18pm
Just incase any of you guys happen to play some guitar also,the dread gard is a great tool too.Our guitar player turned 50 this week and after playing together for over 20 years,I thought I would get him a little something.He is playing a 1952 D18 that sounds good as is,now I went and gave him a wepon.We practiced last night and this thing was killer.

John

Crowder
Jan-19-2005, 6:37pm
The FQMS Supercase/Modern Case Co. cases have enough give in them to fit any mandolin with a TG installed.

Scotti Adams
Jan-19-2005, 7:09pm
..the guitar player in my band has a dread gard that I had actually bought for my father but he doesnt play enough to warrant it...so it switched hands.....hes very happy with it.

David M.
Jan-20-2005, 10:11am
The Weber Yellowstone w/a TG kinda fits in the shaped Weber hard case if I press it down hard, but it seems too tight for my comfort. #The case lid also has to be pressed down, which makes me uncomfortable as well. #So, I leave the TG in my soft gig bag so I know where it is when I need it.

Ken Sager
Jan-20-2005, 10:57am
Tone gard stays on and fits just fine in my Calton, TKL (A&F), and Modern Supercase without issue. Doesn't appear to increase contact with surface or bridge in any of my cases.

Best,
KS

Editing to add I also have Siren arm rests, and the mandolins are Collings MT2 & Pomeroy F5 in the cases listed above. I also used to leave a Tone Gard on a Weber Bitterroot in a TKL.

Rich
Jan-20-2005, 3:19pm
My new Breedlove with a tonegauard "A" does NOT fit in the TKL case. Too much pressure on the bridge. I'm going to have to cut or pound out some more room to fit it.

Yellowmandolin
Jan-21-2005, 9:58pm
I used to leave my TG on all the time, then a luthier thought that the rubber contacts might cause the finish to degrade. #What do you think?

Oh yea, when I did put it in my Calton, it fit fine.

TonyP
Jan-28-2005, 5:32pm
I think my Tone-Gard has been on longer than anybody's, 17+yrs. As long as the pads are kept on and the rubber Pledged once a year I've had no problems.

:cool: