PDA

View Full Version : acoustic to midi

John Bertotti
Jan-15-2005, 5:36pm
Is it possible to some how play my mandolin and hook it to a midi input. It is a old vega bowlback. Thanks John

I use an I mac and am looking for an inexpensive way to go midi with my mando so I can try to use it with practica musica. Thanks John

I also have an imic. I think I just need a decent mic to plug into it. It has a 1/8 th inch jack. Thanks John

mandroid
Jan-16-2005, 10:39pm
Perhaps , big perhaps, an analog to digital mixer is the acoustic to midi link you may need, there is a midi in and out on the Roland VM 3100, i have, [though I'm rather dim on the use of it, having an ocean of features, and I'm left on my own to figure it out. there more savvy gear wizzards on the site team]

Alternatively a better soundcard of some type would have midi in out, and then software would, 'virtually' replace the mixer.

Your Microphone signal needs to be transferred/ translated to data . since its not going from an individual pickup piece to pitch to MIDI conversion via guitar synth like a roland GI or GR with MIDI in/out, [and a lot more].
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

John Bertotti
Jan-17-2005, 5:10am
I'm pretty sure the imac is midi capable but it doesn't have midi jacks. I am trying a midi to usb adapter for my wife's keyboard. Unfortunately you can't replace components in an imac. Thanks john

Noodlehoss
Jan-17-2005, 1:50pm
Try this (http://audioto.com/eng/aud2midi.htm). It's a software application that allows you to convert audio (saved on your hard drive or in real time) to midi.

Ted Eschliman
Jan-17-2005, 3:16pm
One of the problems you'll endure on a less sophisticated Audio-MIDI converter is the double course strings. Assuming it's actually capable of polyphony (more than one tone at once) the "tracking" with strings ever so slightly out of tune is very hard to finese. They might not translate accurately.
A four-string instrument would convert much more efficiently. (One of those "rainy day" projects, converting my Mandobird to MIDI. Don't think I'll ever get around to it, though.)

John Bertotti
Jan-17-2005, 5:53pm
noodlehoss cool looking program, and it's polyphonic. To bad it won't run on my mac according to the system requirements. I am curious if there is a mac equivalent program.
mandohack the polyphonic problems you were talking about may be why I was having problems playing directly to practica musica. it would some times work and some times trigger an harmonic way above or below the plucked note. I learn something new everyday. Thanks all John

Michael Lewis
Jan-18-2005, 1:10am
Don't you need seperate signals from each string? The RMC pickup system (piezo)is designed this way (used on the Godin instruments). The Roland pickup (electromagnetic)is also based on seperate signal for each string. The seperate signals go to the "synth" to change the analog signal to digital, THEN you can do the MIDI thing with it. It can take several "boxes" to get you where you want to go, and some places you don't want to go.

thistle3585
Jan-18-2005, 11:32am
The biggest thing with midi is all the "noise" that it will pick up. You have to have a controller (software) that you can use to filter the data. It will pick up sympathetic string vibrations, pick click even the note sounded when you unfret a string. You will also need a music program to be able to edit your score. The first rendition can sound bad. After fine tuning the filters you can really clean it up and get rid of the unwanted "noise". Something in my basement emits a frequency of Bb. My tuner picks it up, so a poorly filtered midi unit may also.
The other issue to look at is tempo. Can your setup keep pace with a 210 bps song or do you have to play it at 90 bps.
The bridge is key. You need a piezo style pickup for the controller, so generally people would use a piezo bridge. A traditional piezo bridge wont work well as everything becomes muddy. So, the key is to have an isolated piezo pickup per string.
My idea is to have a bridge with a seperate piezo under each string as well as to have some sort of buffering insert between the piezos to get rid of sympathetic vibrations.
Acoustical instruments are difficult to make work, but electrics are a piece of cake.
If you own a 4 or 5 string electric mandolin then $800-$1000 will make it midi capable.

John Bertotti
Jan-18-2005, 12:44pm
Well it sounds like for a more realtime experience I need an electric mando first. I'm not about to try and electrify my vega bowlback. I was hoping there would be a mic setup I could use. Perhaps I could still use a mic but do direct recording instead of midi then convert. Does that sound more reasonable? I should just build a bodyless electric. Thanks all John

mandroid
Jan-18-2005, 1:18pm
Direct signal starts with a pickup , 2 available, roland, a strip that is made for guitars 6 micromagnetic pickups , sits right under the strings [a 1/32nd"gap], near the bridge. ,a flattop,low, flat bridge . *(pitch detectors work better if not confused by double not quite in unison /out of phase strings).
GK pickup info >> www.rolandus.com << And the more flexible piezo setup from >> www.rmcpickup.com << a tech install probably best, or off the peg instrument , steve rider, and brian moore.
the brian moore 5-13 is an 8 string. *see phase problem .
roland has several pitch to midi GR, GI, models , now.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

thistle3585
Jan-18-2005, 2:18pm
more than you ever wanted to know about midi (http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/tutr/miditutr.htm)

EarlW
Sep-02-2005, 9:00pm
[quote=reesaber,Jan. 15 2005, 17:36]Is it possible to some how play my mandolin and hook it to a midi input. It is a old vega bowlback. Thanks John

I know this is an old thread, but.... yes, it's possible.

After years of procrastination, I've finally installed a Roland hex (guitar) pickup on my mandolin. I got the GK-3 pickup from a local music store, and the Roland GI-10 Guitar MIDI interface on eBay.

It works... what else can I say.
I had a local luthier modify the nut & bridge so that I have only 4 strings that match the spacing of the guitar pickup. Now, I can record the notes & hear them as whatever I want...

If only I could play better...

mandroid
Sep-03-2005, 11:54pm
Ive played mine [rmc/gr33] also with the midi cable connections to a yamaha Psr 270 keyboard; for playing its 'instruments' thru its own amp and speakers.

back to original thread, bowl back would be a mono signal.

Wonder if anyone else actually has used a mono input[usb mic?]
and PC software to get a useful midi mono..
rather than the poly divided string setup.