PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for mods on a Michael Kelly Legacy?

mario515
Jan-15-2005, 3:14am
Just curious if I could beef up my sound a little it tends to be thin and tinny perhaps a new bridge, what say you ? maybe replace the nut http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif something tnks M

steve in tampa
Jan-15-2005, 7:07am
First, play the heck out of it! Don't leave it in the case either. It has to vibrate/resonate to get the wood to come alive through the thick finish. The optional Allen talpiece is a good move, and make sure the bridge is fitted to the top. My 2004 Dragonfly likes Gibson Bush strings, but I just put a set of D'Addario EXP74's on it, and they sound great!

Lane Pryce
Jan-15-2005, 8:28am
If you are bent on spending $$ on your MK;then maybe replace the nut with bone and the rest on a great set up for sure. Then while you are learning to play the MK save your hard earned $$ for a much better mandolin. Lp

jim_n_virginia
Jan-16-2005, 10:28am
Then while you are learning to play the MK save your hard earned $$ for a much better mandolin. Lp
OUCH! that seems a bit harsh for a new comer with 5 posts who was just asking a simple question. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

Anyways, theres lots you can do that is not all that expensive. I would get a Brekke traditional bridge (save money by getting one used if you can like off of eBay), I'm just suggesting that because I have one and I love the sound and I like being able to adjust my own action under full tension. I got my mandolin playing like butter.

Also getting a new bone nut would help. Also try out different kind of strings. You'd be surprised at how it can affect your sound.

good luck!

bjc
Jan-16-2005, 8:22pm
mario515---I'd start with the Allen tail piece...I put one on my MK and it did fatten her up a bit...also, play around with different strings, you'll find that they'll make a huge difference...I like the D'Addarios...and man, nothing beats a tonegard...got one for both my mandos and that improved the thickness the most...Hope this helps mate...and don't worry if you don't own a Loar :-):p

mario515
Jan-17-2005, 6:07pm
hey thanks for all the suggestions and of course i'm planing on getting a new mando but since i just bought a new larrivee d-60 i will have to wait at least till next year, i was wonderin how far i should go with all thismod stuff should i even consider swapping tuners?

Lane Pryce
Jan-17-2005, 6:18pm
Mario515 I did not mean for my reply to sound as harsh as it did!! I sincerly apologize!!! I have been down that road before trying to optimize sound on pac-rim mandolins. From my experience I found a great setup was the best money spent for improvement of sound. The nut and strings are where you will see the most immediate change. Go with bone and a great string like J74's or my fav FT74's. Oh yeah and a good pic too;1mm ultex teardrop. Happy picking and welcome aboard!!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif Lp

steve in tampa
Jan-17-2005, 6:33pm
The tuners should be Grovers and they good. The finish is thick on the MKs and it takes awhile to play in the sound. I noticed an improvement in sound after playing for several hours outdoors at a festival.

mario515
Jan-17-2005, 6:52pm
no need to apologise lp i knew where you were coming from hey scince i have your attention whats a good deal for a mando around 1200 i been looking at a gibson a9 and i seen a ratliff a model around that price just curious tnks

diamond ace
Jan-17-2005, 7:10pm
Avoid the ratlif! A friend of mine went to TN. and had one custome built then had a realy bad neck problem and Ratliff would not fix it even though it is suposed to have a liftime warenty. I had a ratlif and liked it but after the problem my friend had I advise everyone to stear clear. For $1200 I'd say Eastman is the best mandolin in that price range being built today. Happy hunting.

Stillpicking
Jan-17-2005, 7:44pm
I have 2 MKs one has a Weber universal tailpiece, sullivan ebony bridge,pearl nut and a Siren armrest all done during the first setup.

Hey! I was still way under $1000 for the above including the MK and case. MKs now 3 years old and sounds great.

My newest MK "O" has an Allen traditional tailpiece and a radius cumberland ebony bridge along with a setup. This one is only a few months old but is already sounding real nice.

Both MKs have heavy TIs on them.

I am not currently saving for any "better" mandos and I have been playing for 25 plus years. Sad to say my playing doesn't reflect the longivity of my effort.

Upgrade your MK you won't be wasting your money as most likely the sound and playability will improve from it. If you got extra money to spend on expensive mandolins more power to you but keep your ability and goals reasonable. A great player can make a really cheap mando sound like a million bucks and a so so player on an expensive one will probably sound like me. HA!

Have fun doing the upgrades on your MK it will satisfy your MAS for a bit.

Lane Pryce
Jan-17-2005, 8:29pm
Wow a Ratliff is a fine mandolin.I'm partial to the 9's.If you looking for that classic bluegrass sound then the A9 would be an excellent choice!The only thing I have heard deragatory re the ratliffs is they tend to a bit short on the low end.Lots of folks like a mandolin like that.If you can play them both before you buy thats the way to go!! Lp

levin4now
Jan-18-2005, 8:59am
I got a setup done for my MK Legacy Deluxe. Had the bridge fitted to the top and a bone nut put in. I use Sam Bush strings, although I put on that free pack of D'addario 74's from Scotty and they sound great for a change too. (It might just be I hadn't changed strings in awhile.)

Alan

mario515
Jan-18-2005, 11:13am
hey thanks for all the replies thats great, hey do you think having the bridge fitted is a big thing? cause if i cant do it myself than i have to trust someone who says they know how to do it(keep in mind i can hardly hang a picture straight) ther are only 2 places in my area that do guitar work and one failed with a botched job on my friends taylor so,,,,

Lane Pryce
Jan-18-2005, 12:25pm
M5 you can always send it to a set-up guy via UPS or USPS. Lots of very qualified folks on the forum would be glad to help out. Put yourself a post over in the builders section and see what happens. Lp