PDA

View Full Version : Price Nelson Case

Bradley
Jan-14-2005, 11:03pm
Does anyone have any pictures of the Price Nelson Case?

I also remember Big Joe mentioning the cases that were similar to these that were made for Gibson. Has anyone seen them at OAI or live close that could give me a
hands on opinion

Thanks

evanreilly
Jan-15-2005, 12:12am
I have one.
it looks a lot like this mandolin case (http://www.telepath.com/~ghprice/pricnels.htm).
A very heavy duty case. Keeps my Gibson mandolins very safe and warm.

Harry H
Jan-15-2005, 11:42pm
Evan,

The Price case looks very cool.

Do you have an idea how much they weigh,
say, compared to a Calton?
In fact, how do they compare
to a Calton?
What are they like to carry around?

Thanks, HH

PS you know, if I bought a new case, I'd have to change my
signature line!

evanreilly
Jan-16-2005, 12:50am
I think the Price case weighed 11 lbs without the case cover. I'd guess about 3-4 lbs more than the Calton.
I've never owned a Calton, so I can't give more than a general answer.
The Price is heavier, has a lot more storage inside and i am sure offers more protection to the instrument, given the distance of the instrument from the shell all around.
I use a good padded shoulder strap if i am going to be wandering around with it.

Harry H
Jan-16-2005, 1:00am
Evan,

Thanks for the info.

Bradley
Jan-16-2005, 7:30am
Thanks for the link!!

For the small money difference I feel they are a better
case Than Calton. As mentioned there is more area to the case therefore I believe that it offers better protection.

I had heard that Price made (2) for Gibson Nashville, whether this is true or not I dont know. I might take a weekender down there just to look around.....which will probably get me in trouble #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

JimW
Jan-16-2005, 9:13am
Bradley, you heard right. When I was at the Gibson Showcase a couple weeks ago, they had two there. Very nice looking cases, although they are heavy. Very well made too.

Jim

Bradley
Jan-16-2005, 10:03am
Thanks Jim,

Do you remember what color they were?

If they were White with Green interior I'd probably get really excited http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

ronlane3
Jan-16-2005, 10:09am
I live in OKC, which is basically where Mr. Price is and have seen a couple of his cases. They look very nice but the guy that had it said that they are heavy. I have a Calton and I think other than storage they are about the same. I would feel very safe with any mandolin in either case (including Mr. Monroe's Loar).

Russ Jordan
Jan-16-2005, 10:48am
Pearl,

Did you get the GWW case you ordered?

JimW
Jan-16-2005, 10:48am
Bradley, they were both white with I believe blue interior.

Jim

addcourt
Jan-16-2005, 11:08am
I've had a Price case(white/green)for around 3 months. I sold both of my Caltons after using the Price. I have another Price on order. The drawback with the Price is its weight and lack of sholder strap. The quality and protection is far superior to any case I've owned. Need to work on my biceps.

Bradley
Jan-16-2005, 12:14pm
Thanks Jim !!

Hey there Russ, I did receive the GWW about a week ago.
I will do my best to attach a picture. I must admit that CAS still lingers though.I might still be trading

evanreilly
Jan-16-2005, 4:48pm
A hefty shoulder-strap is a very good after-market investment if you buy a Price-Nelson case. One with a very good thick center pad is advisable. Especially if you are carrying another instrument.
My case is white with a burgundy interior.
I've had mine for maybe seven years; the only sign of wear is the thread holding the pull loop inside case over the compartment coming a bit loose.
And mine gets a lot of use and travel.
I did buy a case cover when I bought the case; Gary may still offer them. The cover is a Colorado and is now one of their stock covers, I beleive.

berkeleymando
Feb-16-2005, 6:10pm
Is the interior of the Price mandolin case customizable? For example, would a F4 fit in it, with its shorter neck?

ronlane3
Feb-16-2005, 7:02pm
Berkeleymando,

I'm sure if you contact Mr. Price at the above link, he will tell you if you could order a custom for your F-4.

evanreilly
Feb-16-2005, 8:19pm
An F-4, garden-variety vintage Gibson, can be squeezed into a Price-Nelson case. I tried it last week, but the shorter neck laid the bottom two tuner shafts so tight against the lining i didn't feel like leaving it in there.
I expect, since the are made one at a time, to the best of my knowledge, an accomodation for an F-4 is easily made.