PDA

View Full Version : Music Stands

Michael Gowell
Jan-13-2005, 12:09pm
I've checked the archives without luck.

I'm most familiar with the heavy black stands found in every school music room. #I like their stability & wide bottom shelf to accomodate several books, but dislike the industrial non-furniture look. This will stay in my living room, so light weight for travel isn't an issue. Suggestions?

Wesley
Jan-13-2005, 12:28pm
If I'm remebering correctly there is at least one vendor that has ads in Guitar Player magazine for some nice wooden stands. NOT the black metal industrial look you described.

R. Kane
Jan-13-2005, 1:25pm
I just bought one of these more contemporary looking music stands

http://www.ratstands.com/

ab4usa
Jan-13-2005, 1:32pm
I purchased a book/bible stand that rests ontop of a coffee table. It happens to be antique looking and fits in well. Also it's small so it goes away easily when needed.

Michael H Geimer
Jan-13-2005, 2:27pm
I've been hunting around antique furniture stores looking for an old Bible podium.

In mean time, I sit at the piano and put the sheet music up there.

MF sells a wooden one, but one day they finally made it 'too painfull' for me to do business with them any longer.

bjc
Jan-16-2005, 8:28pm
I saw a couple of neat looking ones at Musicstand.com Very much home piece rather than what I require...but at least take a look...

Jim Garber
Jan-16-2005, 8:42pm
I just bought one of these more contemporary looking music stands

http://www.ratstands.com/
I like that folding Jazz stand but the price is up there... $129 + a bag for $27. Ouch! I am looking for the sturdiness of the std Manhasset but in a folding stand, so that does look great, tho pricey.

Jim

Bob A
Jan-19-2005, 7:15pm
Here's my dream: a case large enough for big sheet music, deep enough to hold a fair amount of music, relatively weather-proof; it would open into a stand that could sit on a table, hold the bulk of the music that I'd carry while opening into a tabletop music stand. An added plus might be detachable legs which also fold, making a compact travelling music carryall/music stand. (Think of the wooden folding easels painters use, but make it out of something lighter, maybe aluminum.)

I'd also like an offset stand, like the ratstand, that had legs that would slip under the end of the couch, with the musicstand that I could swing into place when playing, then swing away when I was finished.

A wire basket that attached to the shaft of the stand and held about 3-4" worth of music would also be a nice addition; keep things at hand, but not flopping off the stand when it got too full.

John Bertotti
Jan-19-2005, 7:28pm
WOW! Bob A now that is a tall order. I'm going to have to think on this. I was getting ready to try and build a stand but those are some interesting options. If it was table top only I could see something like an old portable writing table. The wood ones were a bit heavy though. John

My original thought for me was a hard case for my vega Bowlback that when opened could double as a stand. Open the case take out the mando and set it on end opened to 90 Degrees and flip up a little top for music. John