PDA

View Full Version : New Gibson Grovers

Scotti Adams
Jan-11-2005, 8:47pm
I got me a set the other day...one word...magnificent..mine are in nickle finish...sort of a matte finish as well...they have the smaller buttons that have the little screw to secure them with... and no..the shafts arent black. A real fine looking tuner. Thanks Big Joe.

Greenmando
Jan-11-2005, 10:13pm
I wonder how much a set would cost.

Professor PT
Jan-11-2005, 11:44pm
I believe someone on another thread said they are around $100. I have the nickel plated ones on my F-9, and they are quite nice. So, Scotti, with all your mandolins sold, what are you going to do with the tuners? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Lefty&French
Jan-12-2005, 8:04am
MOP and Gold = 175$ + shipment.

addcourt
Jan-12-2005, 8:54am
My search brings up 10 pages of topics and god knows how many threads. Can someone tell me where photos of the Gibson Grovers might be located. Thanks

Lefty&French
Jan-12-2005, 11:21am
"Schallers or Gotoh" topic, page3

Scotti Adams
Jan-12-2005, 11:30am
I believe someone on another thread said they are around $100. #I have the nickel plated ones on my F-9, and they are quite nice. #So, Scotti, with all your mandolins sold, what are you going to do with the tuners? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif
Hey PT..Ive got a new mando on order and hes been kind enough to give me a loaner till its done. The nickle Grovers were $105.

Greenmando
Jan-12-2005, 1:26pm
Are the Gibson Grovers different than commercial grovers? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

addcourt
Jan-12-2005, 1:38pm
Thanks much, LeftPhil.

Lefty&French
Jan-12-2005, 3:14pm
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Bradley
Jan-13-2005, 5:37am
[QUOTE]Hey PT..Ive got a new mando on order and hes been kind enough to give me a loaner till its done.

So should we assume that it is a Gibson on the way http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

evanreilly
Jan-13-2005, 1:20pm
Are those buttons on the Gibson Grover tuners pearl?

ronlane3
Jan-13-2005, 1:56pm
Greenmando,

I believe that I have seen BigJoe comment that they are different. They have been produced to Gibson's specs.

Tom C
Jan-13-2005, 2:06pm
Are those long or short shafts on them? Or Gibson sized?

steve in tampa
Jan-13-2005, 2:33pm
They are direct replacements for the Schallers currently on the Gibsons. I got a set for a 2003 F9, and they fit perfectly, an dnow I can bang the hell out of it and it stays in tune. Purchased directly from Gibson Bluegrass Showcase with a credit card over the phone.Price depends on what you are ordering. 1-615-514-2200x4

Lefty&French
Jan-13-2005, 3:48pm
Are the Gibson Grovers different than commercial grovers? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif
Yes, they are...

jim simpson
Jan-13-2005, 4:49pm
Quote (Greenmando @ Jan. 12 2005, 20:26)
Are the Gibson Grovers different than commercial grovers?
Ditto,
As I had mentioned in a previous thread, I purchased a set of nickel finish gears for my A-9 for about $40.00. I had to grind the base plate on one end as the plate hung over the back plate of the headstock. It looks okay and the gears work so much better than the previous Schallers. My gears have the black screw and gear shaft but the post is not black like the illustration that LeftPhil posted. I'm happy.
Jim

Lane Pryce
Jan-14-2005, 8:38am
Are the gears the same as the stock Grovers or are the tolerences a bit tighter? I have stock Grovers on my F9 and would gladly change if the gearing is a bit tighter. Lp

KevinM
Jan-14-2005, 9:14am
Would they fit a 2001 Nashville Festival F? If so, I'm in.

Scotti Adams
Jan-18-2005, 5:39pm
..to me the New Grovers feel "beefier"...better built than the stock black-shafted Grovers....I would compare them to a set of $450 Waverly's...favorably.

Nolan
Jan-20-2005, 6:57pm
I have the new grovers on my Gibson too, good tuners.. .better sounding mandolin though!

garryh
Jan-20-2005, 8:09pm
Make sure that OAI is sending you the screws and bushings with your order. I bought a set about 6 weeks ago and they still haven't delivered the hardware yet.

Scotti Adams
Jan-20-2005, 8:12pm
Garry..the last I talked to Joe..a couple of weeks ago he said he was working with you on that problem and said it would be taken care of. It took me about about a month to get my tuners....the ball got dropped a couple of times...but then Joe himeslf made sure they got mailed....had them within 2 days then.

garryh
Jan-20-2005, 8:18pm
Yea, In my past experiences Gibson has always been real good about follow through on stuff like this. I've talked to Joe several times...hardware was suppose to ship last week...nothing yet!

Big Joe
Jan-20-2005, 10:22pm
Hey Gary...I'm waiting on the bushings. I am in Las Vegas at the moment on business and on my way to LA tomorrow so won't be back to the office till sometime Monday. When I get back I will check on the bushings and get them to you as soon as I can get them. We don't order them packaged but in pieces and then use the pieces we need. Sometimes we just get the tuners without the bushings and the retail store employees may not know the difference. I do apoligize for it taking so long, I just can't send what I don't have in hand. We were expecting them last week but they were not there when I left Nashville. Thank you for your patience. I have not forgotten.

wallflower
Jan-20-2005, 11:37pm
This is yet another example of how responsive Gibson is to their customers. #Joe is in Vegas and he checks this site to keep up with what's going on. #That's customer service. #

I've been dealing with Joe on a project and he's truly a great guy to work with.

Thanks Joe!

Jeff Bredthauer

garryh
Jan-21-2005, 5:06am
I agree 100%. Thanks for the response Joe!

Lane Pryce
Jan-21-2005, 11:31am
I bit!I'll have a set here Monday or Tuesday for my F9.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif Lp

GTison
Jan-21-2005, 11:41am
looks like if those "tails" on the mounting plates need to be filed off to fit a Gibson with the original Schallers THEN Gibson would have to be drillin a different hole position to match the Grovers. I've seen them on some newer mandos and they do look good but if they are like the pic, they might not fit my 02 Fern. I would consider it esp for real pearl buttons.

Steven Stone
Jan-21-2005, 4:49pm
The Gibson Grovers fit my 02 Fern perfectly. I had the Grovers installed at the same time as they refinished it. I did not opt for the real MOP buttons however. The extra $120 was a bit too rich fro my blood. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Lane Pryce
Jan-25-2005, 4:59pm
Received my set today.The tuners look really cool.They have a satin finish opposed to the stock nickel Grovers and the buttons are smaller.I am looking forward to the next string change!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif Lp

Scotti Adams
Feb-08-2005, 5:47pm
Hey Layne..have you put the new Grovers on yet?...if you have..what do you think?....It will be awhile for me..my set are going on my new Rose.

Lane Pryce
Feb-08-2005, 8:56pm
Scottie they have been on for about a week and half now and yeah I like them alot.The satin finish is too cool and the smaller pearle buttons look great/old timey on my lil ole F9.That 18:1 sure is nice too!!I'll see bout getting a pic up!! Lp

Lane Pryce
Feb-09-2005, 5:40pm
Here ya go Scottie.

Scotti Adams
Feb-09-2005, 6:28pm
..yep..they look real nice....Ive got some just like 'em....cant wait to get the mando screwed on them..

JohnF
Feb-09-2005, 11:03pm
I assume these are available for the A-9? I guess I could just e-mail Gibson but I'm feeling lazy. Anybody know if and how much?

Yellowmandolin
Feb-11-2005, 6:38pm
Lane, it looks like the new tuner plate is smaller than the stock ones. On the bottom plate you can kind of see an outline of where they used to be. Are they in actuallity smaller?

Lane Pryce
Feb-14-2005, 8:58am
I had a set of stock grovers on prior to the Gibby grovers.I think the plates are a tad shorter.The Gibson lined up perfectly. Lp

diamond ace
Feb-14-2005, 4:53pm
I bought a set of nickle from the Gibson Showcase in nashville while I was there for the SPBGMA awards. They cost $135.00 for nickle, which was a little more than I had hoped to pay for them after reading post here, but they look and work great. I realy like the smaller buttons. I used them to replace the schalers on an Eastman mandolin and they fit perfect. I plan to keep these tuners if I ever sell the mandolin and put them on the next one. Best tuners I ever had! I didn't use the grover bushings they fit the schaller bushings perfect and I just didn't change them.

travisburch
Feb-16-2005, 10:53pm
Question!

I have the new Grovers on my Bush, but several of the screws tend to loosen and fall out a lot - one time when I was on stage! #

Is this common, and can I do anything to keep them from falling out?

Scotti Adams
Feb-17-2005, 7:21am
..put just a little lock-tite on them...very little...

dan@kins
Feb-17-2005, 12:29pm
I recently got Big Joe and company to put a gloss finish on the top of my F9 (real purty too).... and got a buffalo horn nut (great tone, nice and black).. .. I've got an abbreviated F pickguard in ebony and an ebony armrest.

My F9 is really "blacked out" and looks real sharp.

I'd LOVE to add ebony tuner buttons. Looks like these tuners have screw on/off buttons. . . would these be good candidates for ebony tuner buttons?

Chris Baird
Feb-17-2005, 12:41pm
The Gibson Grovers look to be ground down on the ends. The bead you see on the sides extends all the way around the ends on standard Grovers. I think those tuners are the standard tuners with ground down ends, satin finish and different buttons.

oakland
Feb-18-2005, 1:23pm
dan@kins,
My F9 is about the same as yours, it sounds like except I don't have the gloss finish, and I already got the ebony buttons. I used regular grovers (with black shafts) and got the buttons from Ken Cartwright (MandoMedic). I'll try to attach a picture from before I got the black nut.

Lane Pryce
Feb-18-2005, 1:29pm
Dan---Shame on you for not posting pics of your 9!!! Lp

oakland
Feb-18-2005, 1:31pm
another try

oakland
Feb-18-2005, 1:33pm
and the whole thing...

Professor PT
Feb-18-2005, 7:22pm
Cool. How much was the pickguard, and where did you get it from? I've got a nice big shiny spot where I rest my fingers, and a guard would hide this well.

oakland
Feb-18-2005, 7:44pm
Prof,
Yeah, I have a shiny spot under the pick guard myself... I had the pick guard custom made by my local luthier, he charged me about 50$ including installation.

dan@kins
Feb-21-2005, 4:38pm
Thanks oakland!

Your F9 is lookin good. #(i think we've been here before)

JLP, you are correct! (i should have posted pics) #Ain't no shame in my game, I'll be getting pics up soon! #I was sort of waiting til I got the bottuns on but I recon I could always post another set of pics later.
http://www.hatsunday.com/dsc00551.jpg

Jim Hilburn
Feb-21-2005, 10:23pm
Thanks to the large photo provided by JLP, I've been comparing a Grover A set and it appears the plates are identical but reversed. In other words, if I hold a set next to the photo everything is the same except for the worm gear direction.

Jim Hilburn
Feb-21-2005, 10:35pm
OK, after a second look, Chris is correct. The plates are slightly ground down so they are a little shorter. The giveaway is the dashed line on the parimeter. On the stock units, it goes completely around, and on the Gibson, it ends abruptly at the curve on the end. The other difference is that mine have phillips gear screws while the Gibson has straights.

Jim Hilburn
Feb-24-2005, 11:05am
I just started laying out a set of Grovers on my next A. I usually use Schallers, but there have been some good things said about the Grovers, and I'm going to need to install ebony buttons, so I got this set to try out.
The F set is Schaller and the A set is Grover. The first thing you run into is how long the plate on the Grover is in comparison. This is forcing me to move them so far forward on the peghead that I don't like the look of the knob position, but otherwise, the the plate will overhang on the back of the peghead. Schaller wins on this point.
Overall construction is much the same, but the nylon/teflon washer on the Grovers is a nice touch for making them tune smoothly. I know the ratio's are different, but I won't be able to comment on that till I string it up.
So after this side by side comparison, it's obvious why Gibson ordered the altered Grover's so they would fit their Schaller layout.

Jim Hilburn
Feb-24-2005, 3:47pm
I don't know if anyone else is interested in this ,but here are some shots of the installation of the Grovers on the A-style headstock I use.
You can see, I have them about as far to the rear as I'm comfortable with.

Jim Hilburn
Feb-24-2005, 3:49pm
But when you see them from the front, they just seem too far toward the top. Schallers (and the modified Grovers)give you a little more breathing room.

Jim Hilburn
Feb-25-2005, 1:47pm
Wow, it sure is lonely here on page 3.

Lane Pryce
Feb-25-2005, 1:59pm
Jim do you think the button size if giving the illusion of being too far forward? FWIW I think they look fine. Lp

Chris Baird
Feb-25-2005, 2:07pm
Jim, I've been doing my own grind down on them. If Gibson can do it so can I! I had to grind them down before I realized the Gibson Grovers were that way. Now I feel much better about it.

Jim Hilburn
Feb-25-2005, 2:22pm
I'm wondering how the F set is going to fit. They'll be reversed and may be crowding the peghead scroll. Do you think these work enough better than Schallers to be having to compromise how they're installed? And I don't want to be grinding on anything. There's enough to do to get these out the door without that hassle.
I also read that Gotoh will be coming out with some re-vamped units. Looking forward to that.