PDA

View Full Version : Online Electronics Vendors

John Flynn
Jan-11-2005, 4:19pm
After a fair bit of research, including multiple threads on this site and quite a bit of hands-on experimentation with different devices, I have determined that the Sony Sony MZ-NH1 Hi-MD minidisc recorder is the best solution for me for doing recordings of my mandolin music, including jams, performances and practices. It really has the combination of features I need.

I really trust the recommendations of my mando-colleagues on this board. My question for all of you is this: What online/mail order electronics vendors have you had good luck with for this general kind of equipment, although of course not necessarily this exact device. I am looking for a good combination of price and ethics/customer service. I don't know what kind of faith to put in all these online vendor ratings. Consumer Reports does give any of them thier highest rating, but the ones that get even a moderate rating also have the highest prices. Maybe you only get what you pay for, but maybe it's possible to do better. What has your experience been?

mpeknox
Jan-12-2005, 7:00am
I've always had good luck with Amazon...seems like they always have what I'm looking for (not just electronics) and the price is usually pretty competitive. Plus the shipping is always fast. I don't know how this price compares BUT
Sony MZ-NH1 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001YN7DC/qid=1105534595/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1_etk-electronics/002-9630051-1216811?v=glance&s=electronics&n=172282)

Don Grieser
Jan-12-2005, 9:07am
I've had good luck with MiniDisco. They are at http://www.minidisco.com

I've received excellent price/service from them. NFI

Don

Tim
Jan-12-2005, 9:12am
Only one order experience but I had trouble with Amazon when they were offering a similar product through one of the partnered companies (paid for expedited shipping, they estimated delivery on 3 Jan, still don't have it). #I also had trouble with another online electronics retailer - X10. #They charged my credit card, didn't ship, I cancelled, it took three weeks for them to credit my account (only took 1 day to charge).

I've had good luck with J&R but not in this category.

mpeknox
Jan-12-2005, 9:23am
I had trouble with Amazon when they were offering a similar product through one of the partnered companies
Yeah, I haven't had real good luck with the other companies associated with Amazon either. They usually advertise a lower price and then don't have the item in stock. But any time I've actually bought from Amazon it's worked out.