PDA

View Full Version : help! bridge rollover?

danoNC
Jan-10-2005, 11:55am
Hi all,
I have noticed on my Rigel that the bridge doesn't evenly contact the top -- the front (neck side) of the bridge is in contact with the soundboard but not the back (tailpiece side). There is about a 1-2 mm gap between the back of the bridge and the top of the mando. Furthermore, this weekend as I was tuning up (after changing strings) the bridge kept rolling over and would not stay upright. Also, there are some small indentations in the soundboard where the front of the bridge sits. What have I done wrong?
Dan J

Lane Pryce
Jan-10-2005, 12:08pm
Dan is the bridge on backwards? Lp

danoNC
Jan-10-2005, 12:12pm
Blayne,
I dont think so. The smaller slots are matched up with the E and A strings.
Dan

Lee
Jan-10-2005, 12:29pm
When you are re-stringing you may need to gently yank the bridge backwards in tilt as you tighten. #If you're using heavy strings (bridge cables) one or more of the bridge slots might be too small.

John Rosett
Jan-10-2005, 12:45pm
rub a little bit of pencil graphite into the string slots before putting the strings on. this will help with the strings binding up in the slots. works good at the nut, too.
john

acousticphd
Jan-10-2005, 2:38pm
Dan is the bridge on backwards? Lp

Dan, you might as well try reversing the bridge foot (not the saddle; leave that the same) next time you restring, and comparing the fit. If it is no worse, and especially if it gives the bridge a very slight backward lean, you may be better off then fine-tuning the fit from there. I've done this at least once where the situatation was much better after flipping the foot around.