PDA

View Full Version : Eastman Cases

steve in tampa
Jan-06-2005, 5:22pm
Just received my Eastman case. Very nice! Like the carry strap it comes with. Wish there were a little compartment inside, but no big deal. If I ever go on a plane again, I'll use this case.

peter.coombe
Jan-06-2005, 5:30pm
Just received mine as well. I agree, very nice, good quality. Well made, everything fits and works properly, not sloppy at all, and strong and light weight. The supplied strap is a nice touch. Only possible criticism is the lack of storage space. I will be offering these cases with my A5 model mandolin as the standard HSC in future. Just hope Eastman can supply them fast enough, this first case was a long wait.

Kevin K
Jan-07-2005, 11:00am
Very nice cases indeed. Be careful with the strap as it could become unlatched. A little mod to secure it would be benefical (read put a little tape on it).

I bought the red f-style and some of my buddies call it the "Dirt Devil" as it looks like the vacuum cleaner.:laugh:

Lane Pryce
Jan-07-2005, 1:05pm
No storage was my only gripe as well. Talk about a major pain in the arsh,couldn't even get a tuner in there without having to sit on the lid to close it!! There was talk that the cases would be redesigned with ample storge
space. I'll have another in yellow if that happens!! Lp

Mandobar
Jan-07-2005, 8:33pm
the a style cases are short scale. i've yet to find an mandolin besides my old gibsons that fit in the case. i'd wish for a bit more padding in both the A and the F style case.

peter.coombe
Jan-08-2005, 4:25pm
Short scale? You mean short necked. The case I have is designed for a long necked A, my Gibson and oval hole mandos won't fit. My A5 just fits, but my Gilchrist model 3 fits perfectly.

Potosimando
Jan-08-2005, 5:11pm
Now that's odd. Eastman must have changed their specifications, or must make their A cases in different lengths. My Coombe short-necked A fits absolutely perfectly in my Eastman A case. #My Gilchrist model 3 just barely fits inside the Eastman, in fact after putting a knick in the top edge of the Gil's headstock, I will never put that instrument in the Eastman case again. #My Givens A6 is way too long for my Eastman A and simply could not possibly fit inside.

But...again, the Eastman's perfect fit for the Coombe makes me really appreciate that cool little case (people are enthralled with the case--the case, for crying out loud--every place I take the Coombe). #Once I open the case however, it is soon forgotten, in that Peter's mando quickly becomes the center of attention.

So...you might want to verify the exact inside length before ordering an Eastman case.

peter.coombe
Jan-08-2005, 7:15pm
I am very glad to hear that the mandolin becomes the centre of attention after the case is opened. I am also glad to hear that they make a case that fits my short necked mandolins. Now I just need to get one (case that is). The last one took 4 months, so I am not holding my breath. I insist on white, for very good reasons, so unfortunately I just need to wait until they have one available.

vedauwoorocks
Jan-08-2005, 9:47pm
What can I expect if I order an "A" style case for my Rigel A-Plus Deluxe? Will it fit all right? With Eastman cases do you have to re-arrange foam inserts or are they preformed?
I seem to be seeing mixed reviews on these cases.
Thanks,
Fred

Mandobar
Jan-09-2005, 8:05am
actually my case is white.

Stephen Perry
Jan-09-2005, 8:38am
The cases I have seen so far are well made. There's enough padding for ordinary use, but I wouldn't check one on an airplane. No blocks to arrange. The headstock area is a bit tight. The F cases have fit everything so far. The A cases are surprisingly tight in the head area and don't fit the Eastman mandolins. A bit odd. I don't know about mixed reviews. The fit, no storage, and a batch with tarnished latches seem to be the only problems. I like them pretty well. The similar guitar cases are quite nice, too. Light and strong. I've had a number through and they seem very consistent. I especially like the silver ones. Like a UFO.

jasona
Jan-09-2005, 12:59pm
Thanks for this Steve, a very helpful review. Would you honestly consider these better protection than a TKL and if so, why?

Potosimando
Jan-09-2005, 3:31pm
Peter, I think you would find the silver completely acceptable in lieu of white (you might even prefer the silver)--very light-colored and heat/light-reflective. #I agree with "giannaviolins"--silver looks like a little UFO...very cool looking. Because of the lightness in color of the silver, it must be roughly equivalent to a pure white color...clearly much better than any darker color.

For "vedauwoorocks" and others, you need to measure your instrument carefully and get a good dimension measurement from the Eastman-case supplier. #On my Givens, no amount of case-padding removal could make that instrument fit inside my Eastman case--the instrument is longer than the entire case.

Mace
Jan-09-2005, 5:43pm
Still wondering about the bowl-back case. Any news?

mandroid
Jan-10-2005, 12:18am
These as strong as the ones that 'coydog' wouldnt make, with carbon fiber cloth in addition to the silica stuff. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Rich Michaud
Jan-10-2005, 11:33am
I have several Pegasus cases which I love. For comparison, I recently bought an Eastman case. According to Sam Gifford who makes the Pegs, his cases are made with glassfibre (a laminate construction using fibre mat and resin / hardener).
What I don't know is the Eastman case material. Does anyone know what the Eastmans are made of ? Rich Michaud

Lane Pryce
Jan-10-2005, 12:15pm
Same thing. Polyester resin and glass cloth/matting with a gelcoat top layer. Lp

Stephen Perry
Jan-10-2005, 4:43pm
I think the TKL will melt in rain. All the ply cases seem to suffer once the corners are worn through. Until then I don't see much protection difference for ordinary dings. The Eastmans are light. They feel good to carry. I've not got the system or money to determine which case fails first under stress.

peter.coombe
Jan-11-2005, 2:59am
Thanks Potosimando. I have ordered a silver case which hopefully should arrive with an Eastman mandolin inside. I am very curious as to how good their mandolins are and have a buyer already lined up who can't afford one of mine. Long wait and still waiting.