PDA

View Full Version : Gibson Picks

Steve Farling
Jan-04-2005, 7:36pm
I've mentioned on a couple of other threads that I like the Heavy Gibson guitar picks. No one has commented on this statement at all. Hasn't anyone else tried them, or is this "Old Hat" ? I keep trying other picks but I find myself picking up the Gibson. I've got a couple of $20.00 Tortis's, Mandohack sent me a Dunlop Ultex 1.14 W/some TI's I bought, and I just can't leave the Gibson alone for very long! I was going to try a Dawg and a Golden Gate but I can't imagine them being any better. I get less pick noise wheather I hold it loose or tight, or use the top rounded corner or the pointier tip. I think I remember someone commenting that Big Mon used the Medium Gibsons. What do y'all think about them? How about Charlie or Big Joe, what do you guys use? You ought to have them running out your ears! I LIKE EM! Steve:mandosmiley:

futrconslr
Jan-04-2005, 7:57pm
I have used the X-hvy tortoise Gibby pics. I like em they are smaller than the standard fender pick..I pick with the shoulder.

fatt-dad
Jan-04-2005, 9:56pm
I think it was BigJoe that told me that Bill Monroe used the big heavy gibson triangle. I tried that with the Monroe Strins to see if my Flatiron could sound like a Loar and if I could in turn play like WSM - ha (still missing the rattlesnake tail).

f-d

Paul Weber
Jan-04-2005, 10:04pm
I am using the shoulder of a Gibson Heavy standard shape pick. Works great for me! Less pick noise than other picks. I use J74 strings...heavier strings may necessitate a heavier pick.

#Paul

peterbc
Jan-04-2005, 10:36pm
I thought Monroe didn't care what he used?

Steve Farling
Jan-05-2005, 6:48am
It was my understanding that Monroe was partial to the medium gibsons cause they had his initial on them!
(just kidding) No disrespect intended.
The ones I use are the black ones W/gold logo.

earthsave
Jan-05-2005, 11:29am
I bought an Extra Heavy to try it out, which is pretty thin, compared to the D207 I use most of the time. It'd work in a pinch for me using the shoulder, and the point for the guitar.

Big Joe
Jan-05-2005, 11:12pm
Charlie and I both use real TS. He likes them shaped like a conventional guitar pick and uses the side. I use them when I must but use the side of the point. I prefer the large triangle TS picks and slightly rounded (just barely) on the points. I use different points at different times because each point will often have a bit of a different tone.

Evets
Jan-06-2005, 6:31pm
I like the big heavy Martin triangles.

Osamu Hayakawa
Jan-07-2005, 9:20pm
I'm using Wegen picks. Handmade picks from The Netherlands. This pick is quite expensive (3 for $15) but it'll make deference for not only sound but also playing speed. I use M150 Mandolin Pick. 28.5mm long, 1.5 mm Thick. This sound quite thick but the edges are pre-beveled. It feels so smooth and increase your picking speed. When you chop, the 1.5mm thickness produce very woody loud bark. You can search "wegen picks" at google. It is amazing!!
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

sweetmusic
Jan-07-2005, 9:46pm
I used to use Gator picks, the purple ones. Then I switched to Dunlop and then recently to Dava celluloid.

AW Meyer
Jan-08-2005, 12:12pm
I am also using the Wegen Mandolin picks (1.5mm). I cringed at paying that much for picks, but I am now a believer. I do think they are a better pick,soundwise and in terms of feel- much better than the Dunlop Ultex picks I had been using before.

Lefty&French
Jan-08-2005, 4:01pm
Another vote for Michel Wegen : great bevel (even for lefties!) M125 (1,25mm) or M150 (1,5mm)or custom (1,27mm 1,28mm ...)with a rounded dawg/golden gate shape are really that good,IMHO.