PDA

View Full Version : where did my volume go

merv
Jan-03-2005, 6:45pm
Christmas I received a dozen Golden Gate picks . They work great while picking but when I try tremoloing all the noise I get is a muted tone .
# #I like the design but if I can't get any volume on tremolo will have to stick with the 1.14 mm ultex .

Bradley
Jan-03-2005, 8:57pm
I have tried those but like you had a hard time making the switch.I admire the guys that play withthem but unfortunately I am not one...I need that extra bit of "point"

dave42
Jan-03-2005, 9:46pm
I picked up one of those Golden Gate picks a while back, and I got the same results, kind of a muted tone. I like the Ultex, too. But now I use the round corners of the Ultex sometimes, as I found I like round edge, thanks to the Golden Gate.

Professor PT
Jan-04-2005, 1:04am
I tried one, too. It makes everything sound muddy. I think you have to get a pick with more of a bevel edge to get more treble and volume.

jasona
Jan-04-2005, 1:09am
I liked them on my Kentucky 150S, which needed some mellowing.

250sc
Jan-04-2005, 7:00am
I think Jasona hit the nail on the head. If you have a mando that is real bright sounding they mellow it out a bit. When I tried them I had an oval hole a model with all kinds of low end so the Golden Gates and Dawgs made the tone too muted.

Eugene
Jan-04-2005, 9:06am
I think blunt, heavy plectra work best when driving a heavily strung, f-holed instrument (i.e., generally brigh toned with massive sustain of only the uppermost partials and a very rapid decay else) very hard with a relatively aggressive attack. You will need to commit to a relatively heavy grip (even in tremolo) to make them work. When you commit to playing in this heavy, bluegrass-centric style, I think Golden Gate plectra can work very well. However, since every mandolin I play is lightly strung and oval holed, and my control of dynamics entirely originates in the weight of my plectrum grip (not in the heaviness of my attack), I can't find anything remotely useful in Golden Gate/Dawg-style plectra.

mando bandage
Jan-04-2005, 9:25am
I think you have to get a pick with more of a bevel edge to get more treble and volume.

You can customize your Golden Gate with a sharper bevel with a 3 or 4 grit emery board. It will give you brighter tone, and, if you're like I am, better dexterity.

R

SternART
Jan-04-2005, 9:31am
IMO the Dawg picks sound better than Golden Gates.

Frank Russell
Jan-04-2005, 11:04am
If you like the Golden Gate/Dawg shape, try the Wegen mando picks. They have them in 1.0 and 1.5, the latter being closest to Dawg thickness. Same tremolo-friendly round corners, but beveled for a little more punch and volume. They aren't cheap, but I sure like them. Frank

earthsave
Jan-04-2005, 11:41am
it went with the point.

John Rosett
Jan-04-2005, 12:49pm
i think that alot of this has to do with what you're used to. i've been using these style pics for a long time, and if i had to play with a pointy pic, i would have a really hard time. my personal favorite are the white plastic ones. (if anybody has any they want to sell or trade, contact me) to me, they are the ultimate for tremolo, and they also let me hold the pic more loosely, as it doesn't really matter which edge is hitting the strings. i spend alot of time playing jazz on a '13 gibson A, and these pics seem just perfect to me.
i like to keep both the white golden gates and the dawgs in my case. that way, when i don't feel like i'm playing well, i can change pics, and i FEEL like i'm playing better. i learned that trick from watching jethro.
john

John Flynn
Jan-04-2005, 1:06pm
You can customize your Golden Gate with a sharper bevel with a 3 or 4 grit emery board. #It will give you brighter tone, and, if you're like I am, better dexterity.
If you want a Golden Gate/Dawg- weight pick with a sharp edge, try the Jim Dunlop 207. If you want and\ edge and a point, try the 208. I much prefer them to either of the other two when I want a heavier pick.

GBG
Jan-04-2005, 1:59pm
I can't find anything I like better than the Dunlop 207, and believe me, I constantly try.

Eugene
Jan-04-2005, 2:06pm
I can't find anything I like...at all! #I craft picks to my liking with shears and files using Clayton's "Large Triangles" in their "Ultem Gold" as my raw material.

It is always a surprise when I am reminded that people will pay for beveled picks. #A small stash of varying grades of fingernail files and you can put a very fine bevel, crafted to your specific tastes, on any pick you desire for no more cost than a bit of your time.

Tim
Jan-04-2005, 3:48pm
It was a surprise to me that with all the different picks out there that people will take a file to one to "customize" it. #Of course, the skill level of my playing probably is a factor...

TeleMark
Jan-04-2005, 5:22pm
I can't find anything I like...at all! I craft picks to my liking with shears and files using Clayton's "Large Triangles" in their "Ultem Gold" as my raw material.

It is always a surprise when I am reminded that people will pay for beveled picks. A small stash of varying grades of fingernail files and you can put a very fine bevel, crafted to your specific tastes, on any pick you desire for no more cost than a bit of your time.
I LOVE the Clayton picks, but I have one serious question...

Could they possibly have made them a worse color/shade? They instantly blend into my carpet when I drop them. Freakin' things seem to have their own cloaking device! I mean, they don't have to be lime green, but translucent tan?

Sorry for the rant. Otherwise, they're awesome.

TeleMark

handpicked
Jan-04-2005, 8:12pm
Another vote in favor of the Dunlop 207. My favorite by far...emphasizes the midrange nicely on my A-9. Anyone want to go in w/me on a bulk supply of them from These Guys (http://www.activemusician.com/store/product.asp?sku=MC.477R207&c=D3745F4F2B424C2A9D56683642ED23DA&sn=&nav=m)?

Potosimando
Jan-04-2005, 8:19pm
Did I read too fast, or has no one mentioned the Wegen? #I don't have the literature in front of me re. which model/# of pick, but just do a search for "Wegen" and go thru the descriptions on the website until you find the mandolin picks--GG/Dawg type, but with beveled edges at/around all points. #Lots of folks really like these...don't worry about a speedy delivery if you order them directly from the fellow's European website (I've done it--took just a few days as I recall).

merv
Jan-04-2005, 9:01pm
Thanks Mando bandage will give the emery boards a try . Just a little trial and error till I find the right amount of bevel .

Eugene
Jan-04-2005, 9:52pm
It was a surprise to me that with all the different picks out there that people will take a file to one to "customize" it. #Of course, the skill level of my playing probably is a factor...
What I like is a traditional Neapolitan-style plectrum profile (like all the mass-produced wee teardrops, but way longer). Really, nobody in the US is making anything like it. Liking Clayton's Ultem Gold material and noting they advertise custom plectra, I wrote them to try to convince them to add a Neapolitan shape to their catalog. They said, "Uh, no...but we'd be happy to stamp a logo on your picks for a fee!" The makers of Tor-tis plectra will make a Neapolitan-style plectrum...at $30 a pop. Given the ca. $0.80 expense of a Clayton pick + a trivial amount of my time and effort, I haven't gotten around to ordering Tor-tis yet.

Rroyd
Jan-04-2005, 10:56pm
TeleMark,
# # You miss the obvious solution--new carpet. #That way you can be a hero to the family, and you can pick a color that will enable you to find your picks. #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif
Actually, I had similar problems with the old clear Dobro thumb picks, so I started coloring them with permanent markers. #It took a long time for the color to completely rub off before I would have to re-do them; flat picks would probably rub off quicker, but it might be worth a try.

earthsave
Jan-05-2005, 11:32am
D207 is the only thing I use, unless for some reason I dont have one. Which is rare, cause I have several in my case, a couple on my key chain, one in my guitar case, and one stored under the strings.

acousticphd
Jan-05-2005, 11:43am
You can customize your Golden Gate with a sharper bevel with a 3 or 4 grit emery board. #It will give you brighter tone, and, if you're like I am, better dexterity.

Yeah, I also like the GGs and recommend at least trying this on a few before dismissing them. You can easily use a series of sandpapers and emory/buffing pads to change the shape and bevel in various ways. I modify almost all my picks, at least a little. For awhile, I was making 2 of the 3 round corners slightly pointier, or more beveled, so that each pick had 3 slightly different points. I eventually have become comfortable with the almost round stock GG, so much so that I now round off the points of the 3-corner picks I have. I seems like a bit of a pain, but when the picks only cost a dollar or two, why not experiment.

mandroid
Jan-05-2005, 6:43pm
see photo link on my pick modification, save $20 .. post below, for a suggestion for reshaping the edge.
It is as though similar angle to the strings was maintained for a long time and worn in like that.
does feel different than factory rounded edge, IMHO http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

Fender #347 is shaped like [old favorite] Gibson * star picks, 'F'With thickness' up to x-heavy, but, unfortunately, sold only by the 1/2 gross per thickness, it is a large rounded teardrop with good point shape.

FWIW, I also have found benefit in rough texturizing the center of the pick for grip, thru various scratching and spot sanding efforts. and also find benefit in taking my pick with me when I visit the Gents room,and washing it with soap as I wash my hands, removing skin oils from both.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif
pick more dynamiclly or turn up the amplification, perhaps?

glauber
Jan-05-2005, 6:56pm
I ordered a few 207s and 208s today to check them out. I like the sound of the Dawgs on bright strings, but you have to hold them with a firm grip and wack the strings with more force than you'd use with a pointy pick. I'm gradually switching to the 1.14 Dunlop Ultexes, and using a very relaxed grip instead. It's a little more difficult, but sounds very nice. I still haven't decided if i prefer the Ultex triangle or the shoulder part of the teardrop-shaped one. I assume i'll change picks a few more times before i settle... i also have good results with the "Gator Grip" 1.14 picks (blue). I think the Ultexes are better, but the difference is subtle. I have a "Gator Grip" that i shaped a little by rubbing its point on a cement floor, which works fine too.

I'd love to experiment with the Wegens, but they're too darned expensive. Once i settle on a pick shape, maybe i'll try one. I'm curious about the Wegen "Fatone" (http://www.wegenpicks.com/#fatone).

PhilGE
Jan-05-2005, 7:23pm
I'm playing around with an Ultex 1.14 mm large triangle (thanks, Ted). I used a Dremel tool to grind down one point a bit so it's rounded off, but not to the degree of a Dawg or GG. A bit of fine sandpaper and it works for me. At least until my fickle taste changes with the wind and I'm off to tiny .56 Clayton teardrops...

-Phil

merv
Jan-05-2005, 9:48pm
Well have had some success took a diamond hone to it and now have a respectable results on the large radius .
Like the size of the pick makes it easier for my old fingers to hang on to it .
Thanks to all.

Yonkle
Jan-09-2005, 11:17pm
I agree with most here. I have a few Golden Gates and wasted my money on a dozen Dawg picks. I know alot of people use these but I can't get any volume out of them. I need a sharper point to get volume. I don't know how Grisman makes these work. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

merv
Jan-12-2005, 2:39pm
Have finished changing the bevel and I am well pleased with the results .