PDA

View Full Version : Help! Need Replacement pickup for Gibson emando

Turner Burner
Jan-03-2005, 2:42pm
Hello mandolin wizards!

I have a Gibson mandobird 4 string emando. As I posted here previously I noticed that the E string is dead compared to the others. It does not have the same volume or brilliance, and especially if I am playing thru any effects pedals, the effect is not present (wah, blues driver, etc).

I have lowered the action and raised the pickup and no improvement. I have ordered a warranty replacement pickup from Gibson, but I'm not sure if that's really going to solve the problem.

So, what should I do?

What kind of alternate replacement pickup should I consider?

I have read that other people have used Seymour Duncan or Bartolini pickups. Are these bass pickups?

Does a bass pickup really do the job?

HELP!

TCM

--------------
Turner Burner

steve in tampa
Jan-03-2005, 3:11pm
Flip the pickup around and see if you get a dead G string. Sometimes if the pole is not well placrd under the string it won't pick up well. Lots of other things could be wrong like bad windings, cracked pole etc. Test it by flippling it around.

Turner Burner
Jan-04-2005, 10:11am
hey great idea! i'll try that tonight.

btw, i'm in sarasota. what's the music scene like in tampa?

what kind of stuff do you play?

TCM

steve in tampa
Jan-04-2005, 11:08am
We get in to a few jams and open mics here and there, and sit in on bar gigs. Sarasota probably has more going on, and defiantly more support for the arts than Tampa. We attend a lot of festivals at the Sertoma Youth Ranch, and have met up with a lot of good folks there.
http://www.sertomayouthranch.com

John Rosett
Jan-04-2005, 6:34pm
there are a lot of different electric guitar pickups that have "bars" rather than pole pieces. they're great for something with string spacing that's not standard (for an electric guitar), and you can probably find one on an on-line auction for pretty cheap.
john