PDA

View Full Version : ivoroid tuner buttons

Jan-03-2005, 10:09am
Can anyone tell me where I might find gotoh or grover F style tuners with ivoroid buttons? Looking to replace schallers with pear bottons. thanks jhb

Jan-03-2005, 6:57pm
my other option would be to change the buttons on the schallers to ivoroid. I notice that Stew Mac has replacement Schaller Ivoroid Buttons. Question is how do you get the pearloid buttons off to do that? jb

UKHABU
Jan-04-2005, 12:48pm
Heat them up very carefully with a hair dryer.
Obviously avoiding the wood work.

evanreilly
Jan-05-2005, 7:41pm
I'd take them off the mandolin and put them in a vise before heating up the buttons.

mandroid
Jan-05-2005, 8:40pm
grained ivoroid button replacements via StewMac.
I'd 2nd the removal from the instrument, A heat gun is more likely to provide enough heat. taking them apart,completely, may allow better creative destruction.
Doing it outside means the smoke detector stays quiet.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Scotti Adams
Jan-05-2005, 8:46pm
I bought Gotoh tuners and ivoroid buttons from Elderly.

Scotti Adams
Jan-05-2005, 8:48pm
If I ever get the set of Grovers I ordered from Gibson...been almost a month now....I will have a set of Gotohs with ivoroid buttons for sale.

ShaneJ
Jan-05-2005, 9:00pm
How much, Scotti?

Scotti Adams
Jan-05-2005, 9:19pm
thinkin maybe $60.00..those buttons are like $2.00 ea.

Will Kimble
Jan-05-2005, 9:41pm
I have put a lot of ivoroid buttons on Schallers... #I remove the tuners from the instrument, then I break the fake pearl buttons off with wire cutters. #I use an exacto knife to scrape off the glue residue, then test fit ivoroid buttons until I find one that seems to fit well - there is generally a fair amount of variation. #Then I put a drop of thick superglue in the tuner button and start it onto the shaft. #I usually have to set the button on a piece of scrap wood and smack the tuner with a plastic faced hammer to get the new button to seat fully. #Expect to break a few, I usually order 10 if I need 8...

Maybe there is an easier way, but this is how I do it.

Will Kimble