PDA

View Full Version : Mini Disc Recorder

Dolamon
Dec-31-2004, 3:34pm
I'm looking into getting a new Mini Disc Recorder for live playing (sessions, classes, jams, practice etc) and wonder if any of you wizards out there could give a few suggestions or observations. I already have a Sony MZ 420 which I use to dupe CD's and play through my car or truck radio ... This is a bare bones one which doesn't do live mike recording - but I can get over 40 hours of music on a rerecordable disc. So ...

Do any of you have suggestions or experience with the newer HD series for live recording?

Any help would be appreciated as - I am really inexperienced in this mode of technology. And, sources seem to be a bit scarce even here in Chicago ...

Oh yes - I searched the archives in the Cafe' but nothing was really specific for this method of recording.

Thanks - Dion

- In Chicago where we're experiencing a really warm New Years eve (so far - it is Chicago after all).

John Flynn
Dec-31-2004, 3:49pm
Check out minidisco.com. It has a lot of great info on MDs, including the new format.

Dolamon
Dec-31-2004, 3:58pm
Thanks john - I've been using that resource, I was looking for some hands on experience from Cafe' denizens.

glauber
Dec-31-2004, 6:59pm
I second Minidisco. Ask them, they're good at selling the right unit for you, instead of pushing the more expensive units. Right now i'm afraid you'll have to buy the new Hi-MD Sony unit... but i much prefer Sharp units. More reliable, easy to use, and best of all, not made by Sony!
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

I have a Sharp MD-MT190, and it's as easy to use as a cassette recorder.

MDW
Dec-31-2004, 10:55pm
I'm a big fan of minidisc technology. I have a older Sony MZ-R700 which I use with a Sony ECM-MS907 stereo mic. I mainly use it to record band practices and band performances. I upload these recordings to my computer with a Xitel MD-Port I/O and burn them to CD using the LP Recorder and LP Ripper software that comes with the Xitel and distribute them to the other band members. Xitel's package works great and is easy to use. Recently I also bought a set of Sony travel speakers (SRS-T88) which have suprisingly robust sound in a little package so my band can listen to playbacks of new material immediately during practice which we've found even more useful than listening a week later. The overall ease of use and flexability of minidisc make it perfect for my needs.

BluegrassPhilfromFrance
Jan-01-2005, 2:30am
I bought my MD SONY MZ-N710 which I use a lot during rehersals, with a Sony ECM MS907 microphone on eBay. They do have tons for sale and it's really a bargain http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Jim M.
Jan-01-2005, 11:35am
You might want to check out this:
http://www.edirol.com/products/info/r1.html

I've ordered one but it hasn't come yet. Should be a lot easier for transferring recordings to CD and computer.

Chadly
Jan-01-2005, 4:31pm
I just got the new iriver H340. I've been having pretty good luck recording live gigs. It's a little tricky getting the recording levels just right.

I would recommend this unit.

--Chad

MDW
Jan-01-2005, 7:13pm
I forgot to mention in my previous post - minidisc.org - is another website (non-commercial) with a lot of info on this media format.

kyblue
Jan-02-2005, 6:32am
Chad -

Did you buy a mic? If so, what? I have the H320 and I'm looking to add an external mic.

Thanks,

Paula

mandosage
Jan-02-2005, 7:16am
Did you say 40 HOURS of music on a disc?

smokinop
Jan-02-2005, 7:22am
I have a Sharp minidisc unit that I love. I use it to record shows, practices, jams, etc. I use the Sony ECM-DS70P mic & it works great. If everyone in the band is coming through the PA, I will also come out of my head & into the minidisc & I get really good recordings of my gigs.

Hope this helps,
Kevin

Jim Hilburn
Jan-02-2005, 6:37pm
The Edirol looks like the wave of the future. Are there any similar units out there and don't you think by this time next year, there will be a lot more options in that format? It's kind of pricey now.

John Flynn
Jan-02-2005, 7:01pm
I just returned an iRiver H320. Nice unit, but not user-friendly and the documentation is a joke. I am going to go with the new Sony MZ-NH1 Hi-MD unit. I have been using one of thier older NetMD machines for field recording for years and I really like it, but of course, there is the issue of not being able to transfer files. The new Hi-MD unit can transfer mike-recorded files to the PC and where they can be converted into unrestricted WAV files from there. Of course, the WAVs can then be converted into MP3s, burned onto CDs, attached to emails, ect. The Hi-MD disks hold 1GB of data each, including generic computer files, or up to 45 hours of music. The NH1 unit has its own slow down feature. You can play field-recorded tunes at down to half speed, without changing the pitch. After wrestling with the iRiver, this seems like the solution for me.

Dolamon
Jan-03-2005, 5:58am
Decisions - Thanks for everyone's suggestions and recommendations. Even with the Mini Disc organization or the other groups out there - the personal observations and warnings really helped. I've ordered a Sony MZN H900 from a company up in Spokane and with Phil's observation, an ECM stereo mike from E-Bay for a really silly price.

One thing occurred with the order for the Disc Recorder which I never noticed before. I started looking at the customer feedback and filtered through all the listings (9 companies) and finally got to the most expensive listing - which was the company with the highest customer satisfaction rating ... They offered a 'best price option' - which brought the price down to the lowest price listed on web. And it came with Fed Ex 2 day service for what others were charging for UPS Ground.

Hopefully this works out for me - I so far, got the best price from the highest rated company - for just asking. It seems that Sony is the only company still making these but I've had really great luck with every piece of Sony made product I own. So - I just keep my fingers crossed for the next addition.

Thanks again -