PDA

View Full Version : Paging Ted Mandohack

J. Mark Lane
Dec-31-2004, 8:05am
Hey Ted,

I want s'more of those most eggsellent picks. The Dunlops that go "ping" when you drop them. I want some of the little ones. But if I have to go through that website again trying to find something I swear there's going to be a homicide. Help.

Folks, fyi, I ordered some of the new Dunlop picks from Ted, in the big triangle size, and he kindly included a small, traditional sized version of the same pick in the package. I've been using it, and I actually like the smaller one better...I think. Interesting, after having used the big triangles in one brand or another for two years now.

Mark

Ted Eschliman
Dec-31-2004, 10:47am
Mark, you have shamed me into action. I had intended to come up with a shopping cart system, as my rudimentary Paypal set does not allow for multiple items. New Years resolution for 2005...
Meanwhile, you have to admit in your "Where's Rhino" search on my website, didn't you glean a little insight into the chord economics of constructing a Bb13-9 chord?...

Here's the poop, gang:

http://www.tannah.net/ted/images/426p114.jpg

The above are the new "Tri" corner Dunlop 426P114. If you made a donation lately, Scott might have sent you a free sample. I made a donation of these back in November, though he's out now. They are about the same dimensions as a Dawg or Goldengate, or a 366 Fender, three rounded corners. I sell these 4 to 1 over these below:

http://www.tannah.net/ted/images/421p114.jpg

These are the 421P114 traditional guitar shaped Fender 351. They are my personal favorite.

If you can't get them through your favorite local vendor, I'm happy to take care of your needs. I feel bad in that I have to charge almost as much for shipping as the picks themselves, but if you're beyond sample phase, email me about buying a 72/pk bag. (Fraction of the cost)

Prices including postage (US)
Rounded Triangle 426P114, Guitar shaped 421P114:
6 pack $5.00
12 #for $8.00
18 for $11.00

If you want to mix & match, I'll work with you. #I also carry them in 1.00 gg as well. Paypal me at mandohack@aol.
Excuse the commerce on the Discussion Board (I personally find that distasteful when others do it) but for me, this is more of a service than a moneymaker. These have been my pick of choice for a couple years now, and I can't seem to get Dunlop's attention that the mando community thinks so highly of them.

jasona
Dec-31-2004, 12:59pm
Interesting you would prefer the little Fender size Mark. I find it gives less pick chatter and more note ping too, but the large triangle wins the comfort race for me. My preference for picks oscellates between these ultexes and a Wegen 140 large triangle, depending on barometric pressure no doubt...I've even posted a side by side comparison of the tonal differences of the Wegen (a m150 in this case) and the ultex in the thread showing off my Ratcliff mandolin, probably on the top of page two of the "post a picture of you mando" forum. Wegen= strong highs, Ultex= midtone goodness. I just can't make up my mind http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

J. Mark Lane
Dec-31-2004, 4:08pm
I tried to respond to this a while ago, but the Board seemed to go down. ?

Anyway, thanks, Ted. I know these picks are not really "business" for you, but more a favor you are doing for us. No dealer puts food on his plate selling picks. So I appreciate it. I'll be ordering a package of these babies.

Jasona, I have long preferred the big triangles. But this little thing seems to be easier to maneuver, like I can get subtle movements out of it easily. Not that I can play well enough for it to matter. But I do enjoy indulging myself in such notions now and then.

Thanks again.

Mark

Scott Tichenor
Dec-31-2004, 4:31pm
Ted, I ran out of those quick. Sent them out with the Acoustic Disc giveaway. Thanks for sending me those. Rest were given away with various mailings I do.

John Flynn
Dec-31-2004, 5:17pm
Those are great picks! I too prefer the smaller one. I feel it gives me more control. Also, I like the 1.0 versus the 1.14. I keep trying other picks, but I keep coming back to "The Rhino." I'd like to get some of those white ones, though. The brown ones seem to be just the color of a barroom floor. If I drop one, it's gone forever!

fatt-dad
Jan-01-2005, 10:18pm
Ever try the small triangle, but use either of the blunt points (i.e., the upper corners)? While I'm now using the big triangle, that's all I used to do.

f-d

GBG
Jan-03-2005, 8:51am
Ted sent me the 1.14 triangle with my purchase of the Real Book-thank you. I WANT to like the triangle pick because it would seem to offer more control, but I slightly prefer the tone of the teardrop 1.14 and it handles at least as well.

I also recommend the Real Book to anyone who has any interest in Swing/Jazz with a lot of the old standards.

jasona
Jan-03-2005, 9:16am
Just played with different picks for my wife. While she agrees that the Wegen is louder, she prefers the tone from the Ultex "by far". And of them, she preferred the teardrop--but it has a well worn point. Nice to know my instincts from above the mandolin compare with how it sounds out front.