PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Tuners

Ken Berner
Dec-28-2004, 9:46pm
I am presently using a KORG GA30 tuner, which puts me in the ballpark, but just not close enough to home plate for me. I don't care to clamp on an Intellitouch and am looking for an alternative, accurate tuner for around $50. Are there any tuners specifically for mandolin? Any suggestions?

mandroid
Dec-28-2004, 11:54pm
mando specific, no, but look for a decent chromatic I'd #suggest.
pricey, but, peterson's virtual strobe stomp would show portions of a semitone variations. Like Roland/boss' pedal tuner it can go in the pickup signal path.
I`ve had #a korg Ca 10 and a clip on piezo (schatten ) (the peterson's clip#good too) it is my other setup, preceeding an intellitouch purchase.. 10 years on,the CA-10 tuner is getting stubborn, turning on, poking it with the 1/4" plug tip does the trick, clip goes on the bridge, #its the best way to tune my mando-banjo. the head imparted overtones are isolated that way.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

steve in tampa
Dec-29-2004, 4:10am
Boss TU12H. Can be found for 79.95. Has an actual VU meter. Responds well to pitch variations unlike some of the cheaper lcd tuners.

mandolooter
Dec-29-2004, 12:34pm
I have Korgs new clip on tuner the N222 and its awesome. I have used the Korg GA30 prior to this and one difference I noticed right away was it takes about half the time to "reset" ie go back to zero so ya can hit the string again and get a new reading. I tried the intellistouch and didn't like it for various reasons and my opinion is this Korg is years ahead in design. I've seen them online for 49.99 but i got mine at a local music store for a bit more...a Xmas present for myself. Here's a pic I found online. IMHO it is by far the best and most accurate clip on tuner and check this out...my mando fits in the case with the thing still attached!

mandolooter
Dec-29-2004, 12:38pm
ooops...da pic!

well it sez I can't post this type of image so it'll have to wait till I get a pic with my digicam later this evening

Pete Martin
Dec-29-2004, 1:09pm
Most tuners have an accuracy of plus or minus 5 cents. A cent is 1/100th the distance between notes. I've used a lot of different tuners over the years, but was amazed how in tune the mando was the first time I used the Peterson Virtual Stobe tuner. It is great!

glauber
Dec-29-2004, 1:15pm
I think there's something to be said for not using a tuner. Train your ears! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif You'll end up with a sweeter sounding mando.

I use a tuning fork to get the A in pitch, and go from there. I tune so the fifth intervals sound right, then i strum a few chords and micro adjust the tuning until the chords sound as good as possible.

Spruce
Dec-29-2004, 1:45pm
"I think there's something to be said for not using a tuner. Train your ears! #You'll end up with a sweeter sounding mando."

I'd agree with you on a lot of instruments, but a mando really needs to be Strobotuned, IMO, unless you're going for the Yank Rachell thang...

Although it won't fit in your case, the Conn Strobotuner (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64388&item=3771994212&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW) is an incredible tool, and works like a champ once you get the hang of it.

It's a great tuner to have hanging around the studio, and can pick up instruments acoustically from 5 feet away without having to plug in.

It can also be calibrated to tune to instruments that are a tad out of tune, like a Rhodes or other keyboard...

And it's accurate enough to tune a piece of wood if you're a mandolin builder...
You can rap on a chunk of wood, and it will tell you (with a bit of futzing around) what note it's ringing at...

And they're tube...

I've found them for 25 bucks, but I think they normally go for 100 bucks or so on ebay, and worth every penny...

Lee
Dec-29-2004, 2:13pm
I'm with Glauber on this one. Noisy on-stage situations are one thing. But otherwise, learn to use your ears. Don't be embarrased to ask for real live aural help. And don't be surprised when you discover that it takes practice. You will be educating your ears to hear nuances that you didn't realize existed.

glauber
Dec-29-2004, 2:23pm
"I think there's something to be said for not using a tuner. Train your ears! You'll end up with a sweeter sounding mando."

I'd agree with you on a lot of instruments, but a mando really needs to be Strobotuned, IMO, unless you're going for the Yank Rachell thang...
It never caused me much trouble. I don't think i have exceptional ears or anything; just listen to the beats and learn to notice the subtle difference in "fullness" when the notes are in tune. I have a chromatic tuner, but it uses nonstandard batteries which have run out and i keep forgetting to replace.

If i were going to buy a tuner, i'd love to get the Peterson VS-II. I think it costs about $200 new.

Lee
Dec-29-2004, 2:51pm
The VS-II looks quite slick. It must be new; I've never seen it before. I've been looking to get a Peterson AutoStrobe 490-ST. #But I'd be using it on 188 strings, not eight. Yikes; it's $569.00

Ken Berner
Dec-29-2004, 5:23pm
Thank you, Gentlemen, for your comments. As for anything Peterson, the only affordable item at FQMS is the Peterson TP-1 Tuning Pickup. I am buying that to go with a Sabine STX-1100 Chromatic Tuner. It may not be the best out there, but it certainly is a step in the right direction for me. A harp player friend has one and tells me this Sabine is great. Give me about five more years and a Peterson tuner might be justifiable.

Dave Greenspoon
Dec-30-2004, 12:11am
Along the Sabine lines I have found my Metrotune MT9000 the way to go. I find the mic accurate in most of the settings I play in, and there's a 1/4" input for those of us who go that route. Even after I get my ears trained ;-) I'll still be able to benefit from the nifty little metronome! It might not be the most advanced, go-to item the pros use, but you can't really beat an average $30 online "street" price either.

mandolooter
Dec-30-2004, 1:52pm
I too have been workin on the " ear thing " but at jams it just not possible when everybodys tuning and fartin around between songs. My ears have yet to be fully calibrated tho... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

A Brown
Dec-30-2004, 4:04pm
I use a fairly cheap Korg. It calibrates so when I'm practicing with a friend whose piano is tuned a bit flat, I can make the adjustment. The aim is to be in tune. Tuning by tuner or ear is only a means to that end. I've been playing for 30 years and I still find tuning by ear pretty uncertain - though I am getting better. But I won't be giving up the electronic help any time soon.

Alastair

acousticphd
Dec-30-2004, 5:48pm
The Intellitouch-style tuners don't seem to me to "hear" a mandolin very well. I like a simple Korg (CA30, ~$25), but with an accessory pickup (~$15) which I clip to the bridge (not the headpiece or a tuner knob) for use. It works fine, and I prefer a low-cost setup since I've unintentionally "donated" 1 per year or so to various jams and strangers. After and in between electronic tunings, I still need and make by-ear adjustments though.