PDA

View Full Version : Humidifier for Tacoma M3?

Scott Cressey
Dec-24-2004, 9:13pm
I will be picking up a Tacoma M3 that is on layaway this Sunday. I live in the Northeast where the winters are very dry. I know I will need a humidifier. I'm not sure if the design of the M3 will allow me to use the wick style. I would love to hear any suggestions.

Regards, Scotty

John Flynn
Dec-24-2004, 10:09pm
I have tried a lot of the store-bought stuff. Some I still use, but some of it wound up in the trash. It's amazing what a rip-off some of that stuff is. The most effective thing I have found, according my digital hygrometer, cost next to nothing. I started with a plastic soap case, like you might use to take a bar of soap on a camping trip. I drilled about 20 holes in the top of it and cut a piece of sponge to fit inside the case. I just keep that sponge damp, but not wet, and keep the soap case in my instrument case. My case has a space that it wedges in nicely, but most any case should have some extra space for the soap case. It won't hurt the instrument, even if it is rattling around in there. I do take care that the sponge is wrung out so that no water will drip out of it.

Dolamon
Dec-24-2004, 10:13pm
I assume that's a Tacoma with the big paisley hole on the upper bout ... if so, you might want to try a 35mm film can (remember those?), drilled with about ten holes in it (top bottom, sides). Fill it with a synthetic chunk of sponge and thread a pipe cleaner or two into the top - long enough to 'hook' onto the bass strings.

When you take it out of the case to play it ... if the sponge feels dried out, soak it - then squeeze it so it doesn't drip into the cavity.

It works; simple, cheap and reliable ... one other thing - in the winter, keep it in the case when you aren't playing it. They are nice a decorative looking but even with a humidifier in it, things can dry out really fast with central heating or a wood stove.

Billy Mack
Dec-25-2004, 1:47am
I had read Mando Johnny's recommendation on another post some time back. I have been using the wet sponge thing this winter and it works great - lasts a long time too. I had used the humistat thing in the past and they tend to crack and leak around the top. Sponge in homemade container is cheaper and better IMHO