PDA

View Full Version : Golden Gate Vintage Style Mando Cases

Michael Gowell
Dec-23-2004, 4:18pm
I saw this case in the new Elderly catalog (p. 127) for $70. #They describe it as featuring "a rugged shaped wooden shell with arched top and arched back. #Leather-look exterior, plush padded interior, accessory box, nickel hardware and a comfortable handle. #A great case for a newer mandolin and the perfect repro for an old Gibson F-2, F-4, F-5, F-7, or F-12." #It looks like an old Gibson case I have, with a hump on the handle side to accomodate the scroll.

I saw on the 'Banjo Hangout' forum [forgive my unfaithfulness] that several people had bought the banjo version and liked it, though there were also reports of specifric banjos not fitting well. #Probably to be expected, given the variations in head diameters and neck lengths among banjos.

But what about mandos? #Has anyone bought or seen one? #What did you think? #Protection or fitting issues?

addcourt
Dec-23-2004, 5:07pm
I received a used mandolin in a new one of those cases and was not impressed. #They look pretty nice but the mandolin(Randy Wood F)didn't fit very well and there was little protection. #Didn't notice much quality in materials or workmanship. #I'd opt for a TKL shaped case instead. All just my opinion.

El Rey del Mando
Dec-23-2004, 6:37pm
I also bought one of these cases.It is real close to a 20s gibson case.It is light and strong.My Flatiron F5 artist or my F5G fits well in it.It sure has the look,too bad it dosen't have the smell.Happy holidays to you all!

El Rey

flairbzzt
Dec-23-2004, 7:13pm
I inquired to Greg Boyd about this case. The only downfall seems to be the thickness of the interior padding. The tkl's and others are more plush inside. The construction of the "vintage" era was not as protective as today. I don't think the authentic look of the original is worth potential damage.

jim simpson
Dec-23-2004, 10:12pm
I guess this case hasn't made it to their web site yet.

Martin
Dec-24-2004, 5:44am
I bought one locally it has the red stripe around the top half. Real close in construction to my vintage F4 case. Not much padding though. I'm happy with it for $65.00 bucks it was a good deal.

mandroid
Dec-26-2004, 7:30pm
Those 'vintage' enough to use lacqured cloth covering, like thy usedto?
my pebbly textured plastic covered tkl sheds stickers. If I really want one to stick, I guess its mask off for spray adhesive first, then the sticky back has a grippy site.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

Darryl Wolfe
Dec-28-2004, 7:28am
All nits and picks aside...these cases are every bit as good as the original 20's cases. They have the look and offer reasonable protection. I currently carry Lloyd in one because of the simplicity of the size and weight.

I have one in the classifieds for $70 shipping included with the entire $70 being donated to Mandolin Cafe. I really am surprised no one has taken me up on this offer. I am not "just getting rid of a case", I have 4 more left to save because they won't make these forever nor will this economical price hold very long.

El Rey del Mando
Dec-28-2004, 7:51am
Hey Darryl...If you keep Lloyd in there long enough,maybe the case will take on the smell that the originals have.The latches and hinges are the only real difference on them.they look good but the metal is not as thick and the center of the latch is not round.I like it alot and I agree with you 100%.I was thinking about getting another myself.Remember,todays originals are tomorrows antiques.....

El Rey