PDA

View Full Version : Grover tuners

jim simpson
Dec-20-2004, 9:37pm
Well my Ebay special Grovers arrived today and I couldn't wait to replace the Schallers that came on the A9. They looked good and felt good to turn. I dropped the new tuners into the holes and was pleased to see that 3 of the 5 screw holes could be used. I did have to drill for the 2 outer screw holes but what surprised me was that the plate extended over the bottom of the headstock. I couldn't put them on and leave it like that. If I reversed the plates, I could eliminate the overhang (not hangover!) but that would make them reverse tuners and I didn't want to deal with that. My solution was to grind down and reshape the end of the plate on my mini belt sander. It looks okay and probably wouldn't be that noticable to most folks. Best part - they hold the strings in tune and turn easily. What an improvement for $39.90! I don't know how different these could be from the $100 plus that Gibson Showcase sells if at all but I'm happy. I would expect the ones they sell to fit without the overhang. Anyone else experience this with your tuner upgrades?

steve in tampa
Dec-21-2004, 4:58am
The real expensive ones I ordered from Gibson Showcase were an exact match. All brushed nickel finish, no black parts, and look to be buffed out a little better.
I did experience having to re drill the end holes when I put OTC Grovers on my Dean BGF

ronlane3
Dec-21-2004, 7:47am
I had to do a little work on my F-9 to get the Grovers to fit. The bushings were too big to fit in the holes and I had to drill the end holes. I just had to take my time and in the end, I am really happy with the work. I should be getting my ebony buttons this week, and look foward to putting them on as well.

oakland
Dec-21-2004, 11:46am
I did exactly the same thing with my A9, the new tuners hung over the end a little so I took off the extra bit with a mini grinder. No such problem on my F9 though, all I had to do was drill the two new screw holes and I just kept the schaller bushings on both mandos. And the ebony buttons look great...

Keith Newell
Dec-21-2004, 8:35pm
One of the first questions I ask a customer thats ordering a mandolin is what tuners do you want? I have several separate templates for laying out different brands of tuners because several may have the correct post to post spacing but the actual base plates are different lengths.
Keith
http://www.newellmandolins.com

flairbzzt
Dec-21-2004, 9:14pm
I just had Steve from Gianna Violins change the stock tuners on my Eastman to grovers and had to search for and found ferrules from Stew-Mac that adapt from schaller size holes to grover size holes. They're listed for guitars and sold 6 to a pack, but they work for this application. I'm having some grovers fit to my F-9 this week and I sent a set of these bushings along with the tuners to my luthier in case he encounters the same problem.

Big Joe
Dec-22-2004, 9:27am
The Gibson Grovers have been designed to fit the Gibson headstock. The stock Grovers will hang over on the bottom. There are a couple other differences too.

Elliot Luber
Dec-22-2004, 4:13pm
Do they make Sperzels for Mandolin? I replaced the Grovers on my ES-335 year ago because they slipped a lot. Have Grovers gotten better? Gibson sure has since the '80s!