PDA

View Full Version : mandolin case covers

Kirk
Dec-18-2004, 1:33pm
I'm thinking about buying a case cover for the hardshell case that came with my Collings MT. Can anyone make any recommendations ?

An online search came up with at least two options: Small Dog (http://www.cavallarocasecovers.com/smalldog.html) and Colorado Case Covers (http://www.coloradocase.com/). Thanks for any help !!

Doug Ezell
Dec-18-2004, 4:03pm
Try Redoxx (redoxx.com) in Billings, MT. They'll custom make any bag for anything.

Salty Dog
Dec-18-2004, 4:22pm
I have a Small Dog case for an F style shaped TKL case. #Its very well made and fits the case tightly. #Also, it is fairly thick (about half an inch of pile lining) to provide good thermal protection and comes with a strap. #It does not provide complete rain protection as it zips on both sides to the protruding case handle, but I suspect the others are made that way also. #It has a large zippered pocket, but it is tight to the case, so don't count on putting a spare pair of shoes in there, but extra strings, an intellituner, and other small junk items fit nicely. #Interestingly enough, Small Dog themselves beat the dealer prices by about $10.00 (this was a couple of years ago). #They were quite pleasant to deal with and shipped promptly. #I am very satisfied with it.

John Flynn
Dec-18-2004, 4:44pm
Consider this: A case cover for a mandolin costs over $100. But a mandolin shaped case will fit snugly in a triple tennis racket case, like a Dunlop Bullet or a Wilson Traid. Those go for about $40, they are just as well made as the mando case covers, tennis rackets are not as big a target for thieves and you won't get banjo player types coming up to you and saying, "Uh, wutcha got inna case?"

If you must spend all the money to get the real thing, I can say that I got Colorado Case to custom-make a double insulated case cover for my rectangular case (which won't fit in a tennis racket case). They were great to deal with and the cover is very well made.

evanreilly
Dec-19-2004, 12:06am
I've had two Colorado case covers, one Small Dog and two custom case covers. The Small Dog has a fleecy lining; one of my custom case covers has a very thin thinsulite lining. One Custom cover is uninsulated, as is my latest Colorado.
there are a lot of options out there.
I've never had a tennis racket cover, having mostly rectangular cases.

Kirk
Dec-21-2004, 7:38pm
Thanks for the great comments ! I'll check out the tennis racket covers.

J. Mark Lane
Dec-21-2004, 8:18pm
I forget what I paid for this thing, but it wasn't much:

J. Mark Lane
Dec-21-2004, 8:21pm
All zipped up with A style TKL case inside. (Note, my mandola also fits nicely in it as a gigbag.)

J. Mark Lane
Dec-21-2004, 8:27pm
Or, for about six times the price....

jasona
Dec-21-2004, 9:40pm
Grover!!! My hero! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

TeleMark
Dec-21-2004, 11:46pm
OK, maybe this is a good time to ask... Why? Isn't the case to protect the mandolin? Why does the protective cover need a cover? Can you get a mandolin case cover cover? Where does it stop?

TeleMark

ronlane3
Dec-22-2004, 7:54am
Well, I don't own a cover for my case, but I do own a Calton, and after spending $400+ for the case I would say that it would be a shame to scratch the outside. Also the cover affords you more storage room that the calton does not have. For things like music, extra strings, tuner, extra straps, etc....

J. Mark Lane
Dec-22-2004, 10:49am
A case cover can also provide an additional layer of insulation against rapid or extreme climate changes. The insulation can also provide a level of shock absorption when the case is moved about (eg, tossed by airline employees). Plus it can provide a nice carrying strap or backpack straps. And in the case (ha ha) of the tennis bag, it provides a camouflage, suggesting a less expensive item is housed inside.

But mostly, it's just another gadget to buy.

Mark

TeleMark
Dec-22-2004, 12:21pm
A case cover can also provide an additional layer of insulation against rapid or extreme climate changes. The insulation can also provide a level of shock absorption when the case is moved about (eg, tossed by airline employees). Plus it can provide a nice carrying strap or backpack straps. And in the case (ha ha) of the tennis bag, it provides a camouflage, suggesting a less expensive item is housed inside.

But mostly, it's just another gadget to buy.

Mark
Ah, I thought I sensed another thing to covet. I can understand the logic of the extra storage, but it just seems like you could keep adding layers until you have the equivalent of an onion.

Thanks!

TeleMark

ronlane3
Dec-22-2004, 3:17pm
That just makes for the Christmas everyday. You get to "unwrap" all of the layers to get to the goodies on the inside.

(yes, I'm just a kid with 35 years experience)

John Flynn
Dec-22-2004, 4:07pm
Why? Isn't the case to protect the mandolin? Why does the protective cover need a cover? Can you get a mandolin case cover cover? Where does it stop?
Why do people put wax on thier cars when they already have paint? For that matter, why do most people wear pants AND underwear?

Typical hardshell cases do a decent job of protecting instruments against impact. They are not as good at protecting instruments against extremes of temperature. Also, their outer finishes are not that durable and get beat-up looking pretty easily. So the job of the case cover is to protect the case itself and provide additional thermal protection to the instrument. They also tend to have webbing straps on them that make the whole assembly easier to carry than hanging onto the hard handle on the case. You certainly don't NEED one, but I like both of mine. Manufacturers are starting to make cases that combine the features of both and perhaps that will be a future direction the market will go.

mandroid
Dec-22-2004, 5:34pm
Is that a Sta-Tite Grover too? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

J. Mark Lane
Dec-22-2004, 7:30pm
Is that a Sta-Tite Grover too? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif
Yeah. He spends a lot of time with Big-Mando-Bird, and likes his friends Ernie "Ball" and El-Keb-Mo, who sometimes plays a Telly-Caster.