PDA

View Full Version : Need repair on Martin D28

flightmedic
Jan-01-2010, 5:20pm
I am in need of a repair job on my D28, Does someone have an oppinion on the best person near Knoxville, TN.
Thx

Howard

Phil Goodson
Jan-01-2010, 6:24pm
You might get a more appropriate recommendation from the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum guys at this link. (http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/)

Others might have some personal experience to throw in.
I've sent my Martin back to Nazareth, Pa in the past with good results.

Denny Gies
Jan-01-2010, 6:26pm
I found a guy, authorized by Martin, in Gainesville by going to the Martin website. You might want to try that.

flightmedic
Jan-01-2010, 7:09pm
I'd like to find Johnny Rushling in Seymore, TN but I lost his contact info. He did some work on it a number of years ago and did a real fine job

kirksdad
Jan-01-2010, 7:30pm
There"s gotta be a ton of qualified Authorized Martin Repair Shops in East Tennessee and Western North Carolina. I know UMGF can help.

j. condino
Jan-01-2010, 7:32pm
Try John Arnold; he is a regular around here. Good guy, great work.

If you decide to drive up the hill to Asheville, you can bring it by my place in person or drop it off at Dream Guitars (www.dreamguitars.com) and it will wind up here.

j.
www.condino.com

Big Joe
Jan-01-2010, 8:32pm
We work on a LOT of Martin and other acoustic guitars and our specialy it heavy structural repairs. If we can be of help just holler!

Mario Proulx
Jan-01-2010, 10:19pm
Lynn Dudenbostel's just outside of Knoxville, too.

Poener
Jan-02-2010, 9:53am
I don't think that the Martin Factory does repairs anymore, you may have to seek out an authorized repair person.

re simmers
Jan-02-2010, 10:06am
After reading an earlier post by "Big Joe" about his policies with set-ups, estimates, customer service, etc, that would be a no-brainer.....contact Joe.

I have never met, nor even talked to Joe, but his postings here, and his reputation in the industry - excellent.

Whatever you do, you might want to ask the prospective luthier for a customer to call.........one who had similar work done.

Bob

sunburst
Jan-02-2010, 10:07am
Martin does have a repair facility in their factory, but a fret job can be done by any competent luthier with no effect on warranty.

John Kasley
Jan-02-2010, 10:07am
I was at the Martin factory a few weeks ago and they are still doing repairs. However, they have about a 3 month backlog between the time they receive your instrument and they start work on it. If you go that route you need to call Martin customer service before you ship.

flightmedic
Jan-03-2010, 7:53pm
I think Big Joe's who I'm going to have do the work, 3 hr drive and I won't have to ship. It's real simple, a '71 D28 with the typical shrinking/curling pickguard with about a 4" crack in the top.
Anyone have thoughts on just replacing the black plastic pick guard with a nice tortois shell celluoid pickguard. After all it's only a '71, doesen't mean much to anyone else but me

Tom Tax
Jan-03-2010, 8:04pm
I put a tortoise-like pickguard on my '73 D35 and like the looks a lot. I also changed the Grover tuners (one was breaking) for Waverly's and find them to be a worthy improvement. Tom

Lynn Dudenbostel
Jan-03-2010, 8:17pm
Flightmedic... Johnny Rushing moved from Seymour about 5 years ago. He's in New Market now. Drop me an e-mail at knoxdude@charter.net and I'll see if I can dig up his phone number. Also check to see if he has a web site. He use to have one.

Lynn

flightmedic
Jan-03-2010, 8:31pm
Thx Lynn, You interested in doing this work for me, I live near Maryville, I don't think the repair takes too long

D C Blood
Jan-03-2010, 8:33pm
Big Joe did a fine job fixing a crack on the top of my wife's D-41 and a pickguard on my daughter's D-76, very quick and very reasonable and very professional. Highly recommended...

KanMando
Jan-03-2010, 8:51pm
flightmedic: if you are the original owner of the guitar and are registered in Martin's warranty database, the repairs you describe should be covered under your warranty if the repair is done by an authorized Martin luthier. Since '70s Martins are not considered collectible (I own one), by all means put a tortoise pickguard on it. The Mario Proulx dark tortoise guards from Stew-Mac look great.

Bob

Dusty
Jan-06-2010, 12:23am
Like so many others, I support Big Joe. You can believe what he says. Also Richard Starkey is in the Franklin (Just south of Nashville ) area.

Big Joe
Jan-06-2010, 8:13am
Lynn Dudenbostal is more than capable of doing the work if he wishes to do repair. That is closer to you, but a trip to Nashville is always fun! :) .

flightmedic
Jan-07-2010, 6:40pm
Thx Big Joe, actually Lynn has the guitar right now doing the work. We only live 30 minutes apart. Next time I have to work in Lafayette I'm gonna drive down to visit your business. I appreciate everyone's input.

Howard

Gary Watson
Jan-07-2010, 6:56pm
Johnny Rushing does excellent work, he is factory authorized and has a quick turn around on repair work. He or John Arnold would both be good choices.

flightmedic
Jan-17-2010, 1:28pm
Well, the "ole girl" is back home after having a little work done.
Before and after pic posted. Repaired crack, new pickguard and best of all, that classic '70s intonation problem eliminated... gone.
49239 Many thanks Lynn

flatt
Jan-17-2010, 2:37pm
Just FYI ... I would always go for a luthier you know and trust. I once got the bridge plate replaced on my 1960's 00-18 by an "authorised Martin luthier" ... trouble is, after that I could never change any strings without taking them all off and sticking my hand inside. I took it to my local-hero guitar-fixer and he was speechless at the average (read "shoddy") workmanship!

flightmedic: if you are the original owner of the guitar and are registered in Martin's warranty database, the repairs you describe should be covered under your warranty if the repair is done by an authorized Martin luthier. Since '70s Martins are not considered collectible (I own one), by all means put a tortoise pickguard on it. The Mario Proulx dark tortoise guards from Stew-Mac look great.

Bob