PDA

View Full Version : Old ebenezer scrooge tab

foggyvalley
Aug-13-2008, 9:04am
I checked the archives and couldn't find the tab, mandozine has a guitar version. Anyone out there have the mando version?
thank you

sgarrity
Aug-13-2008, 9:09am
It's on mandozine. Search for Old Ebeneezer. watch the spelling...

Jim Broyles
Aug-13-2008, 9:26am
Still only a guitar version though.

mando.player
Aug-13-2008, 9:34am
Here's what I have. Attached should be a zip file with the PDF and MIDI of the tune. I'm actually working on this piece right now. What should the performance tempo be?

sgarrity
Aug-13-2008, 9:39am
Search for Old Ebeneezer and the mando tab comes up. #I just did it...
Or search by Artist using Monroe and it will come up that way too.

Jim Broyles
Aug-13-2008, 10:07am
Wow, when I search "Old Ebeneezer" the only thing I get is a guitar tab in A by Stangeland updated on 2003-12-01. How do you get it to produce the mandolin tab?

mando.player
Aug-13-2008, 10:13am
It's there. Try this Link (http://www.mandozine.com/music/tabledit_files/OldEbeneezer-A-Monroe.tef).

I like this one. There are some embellishments in it I think I'll add to the version I'm learning. Good stuff. Judging from the tempo of the TEF file, I'm nowhere close to getting this tune up to speed....LOL

Perry
Aug-13-2008, 10:14am
Old Ebeneezer is in Todd Collins book "Monoroe Instrumentals" ...it'a a good book and worth the small price.

Jim Broyles
Aug-13-2008, 10:14am
Never mind. I just searched Monroe under Artist with no song title at all and it was in the list. Still won't come up by searching Old Ebeneezer though.

mando.player
Aug-13-2008, 10:35am
That Monroe book looks nice. I think I'm gonna have to order it. I got kind of burned out on fiddle tunes for a while there. For some reason, I started playing Santa Claus and now I'm on a bit of a Monroe kick. I know my speed will never "get there", but the tunes are fun to play at any tempo.

Ken Olmstead
Aug-13-2008, 10:53am
Old Ebeneezer is in Todd Collins book "Monoroe Instrumentals" ...it'a a good book and worth the small price.
I agree! I learned Scotland and a couple others from that book and I really wanted to learn Scrooge, thanks for reminding me!

foggyvalley
Aug-13-2008, 12:28pm
thanks everyone, I'll order the book as well... I too am getting burned out on fiddle tunes:)

Perry
Aug-13-2008, 12:42pm
but the tunes are fun to play at any tempo.

Agreed; I've been slowing down all the tunes I've been working on lately. Been trying to get all those slurs, slides and double stops ala Monroe/Compton. That stuff works good slow and also sounds 'phat' solo too.

Trying to get 'em to groove and let the notes "speak" a bit longer.

Here's my latest Monroe obessions. All these tunes work well at moderate tempos like 112 or slower.

Old Mountaineer
Frog on a Lily Pad
Jerusalem Ridge
Southern Flavor

sgarrity
Aug-13-2008, 12:51pm
Be careful with the Todd Collins book. Some of those transcriptions take some definite liberties from the way Monroe played them. Overall a good book but there are definitely some "mistakes".

I agree on slowing these tunes down. I love playing Jerusalem Ridge and a moderate to slow tempo. My pickin' buddy Jim calls it ChamberGrass! LOL

Ken Olmstead
Aug-13-2008, 1:02pm
ChamberGrass! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

That's great!

royboy
Aug-14-2008, 11:17am
hello,
anyone have the tabs or notation for im thinking tonight of my blue eyes.
thanks

Jim Broyles
Aug-14-2008, 3:00pm
Roy, whose version do you want and what part do you need tabbed out?

royboy
Aug-14-2008, 4:38pm
hi jbmando,
im looking for the ralph stanley version. tabs for mando part
thanks jbmando

Dan Cole
Aug-14-2008, 5:10pm
I think this was in a recent issue of Mandolin magazine.

Jim Broyles
Aug-16-2008, 11:51am
Here's a tab for the kick off. You can use the same thing for the break later on. I use regular music staff for tabs, and the spaces represent the strings. Remember, in these old timey songs, there's a freeness or openness to the playing. The mandolin player on the recording is kind of strumming as he picks and it is hard to transcribe every detail of what he is doing. This should get you through it:

royboy
Aug-17-2008, 8:21am
thanks jb,couldnt find it any place. thanks again
Roy

cooper4205
Aug-17-2008, 10:09am
Be careful with the Todd Collins book. #Some of those transcriptions take some definite liberties from the way Monroe played them. #Overall a good book but there are definitely some "mistakes".

I agree on slowing these tunes down. #I love playing Jerusalem Ridge and a moderate to slow tempo. #My pickin' buddy Jim calls it ChamberGrass! #LOL
from what I can tell, some of the book is actually the fiddle parts transcribed to tab, other than that the straight up mando parts are pretty accurate. You have to really play attention to the tab and see where he has is marked for the mando solos. Anyway, the Dead March is one of my favorites to play out of that book, along with Ashland Breakdown.