PDA

View Full Version : The old hymnbook

Soupy1957
Jun-07-2008, 4:47am
As a "Preachers' kid" I grew up the son of one, and the grandson of one.

My whole life, from womb to adulthood has been filled with singing the old hymns; choir directing; solo performances; group performances; playing organ or piano or guitar or trombone in church; singing in a choir, etc...

I notice at the local "jam" I've been going to, over the last two years +, that a lot of the tunes are "the old hymns" I learned years ago, just sped up a tad.

It's made me seek out my memory banks, as well as my old "Singspiration Songbook" and an old Hymnbook, to re-remember the old songs.

What "standards" do YOU perform or play that were from the old Hymnbook, and how did you alter it for Bluegrass?

-Soupy1957

HddnKat
Jun-22-2008, 10:25pm
I can't speak from experience at jams, but I grew up singing the old hymns at family reunions accompanied by guitars and banjos and whatever other instruments the kinfolks brought that year to begin with, so for me there isn't much adjustment - we always sung 'em bluegrass style. #I'll Fly Away, Do Lord, Will the Circle Be Unbroken, I Saw the Light are family standards. #For 'church music' we'd just slow them down so the keyboardist could keep up.:D