PDA

View Full Version : Songs on the fly

Soupy1957
May-31-2008, 7:16am
We talk a lot in here about the instruments and the gigs, but I hadn't explored much about writing songs in here, (something I used to do a ton of, but only 1 a year comes out now, if that). Seems like a phrase, a statement, a sign....lots of things can trigger a song, as you know, if you write your own stuff.

Yesterday, the wife and I attended the Wake of a 46 year old cousin, and prior to the Wake, we intentionally set aside
some time for stopping by our favorite ocean spot, where the waves crash violently against the rocks. It's a great place to clear your head when you are in need of getting some cobwebs out.

When I got up this morning, I wrote in my Journal about the day, and a phrase came out that I thought was capable of being turned into a song, and I don't have the time to work it out right now, so I'll offer it as a freebie for anyone who cares to develop it:

"...the ocean waves keep crashing....for someone else to see."

So if any of you want it....it's yours....do with it what you will.

-Soupy1957

emitfo
May-31-2008, 8:03am
Wow Soupy! I don't know if I could ever do that with any of my children, you are a much more giving person than I! Great line though. One of the ways I tell a great line in a song is those rare times when I'm almost jealous that THEY came up with such great way of expressing an idea in words. For me writing words & songs is the only way I stay sane. I tried giving up both word & music before but, alas, failed miserably. Failure can be such a great success.

Eric Hanson
May-31-2008, 9:08am
Oh, how a good line becomes an inspiration!!

"The ocean waves keep crashing
For someone else to see"

Their strength pounds with fierceness
Washes away the jagged edge
I hope soon
I'll sing when there's a new day
to shine away the pain
I'll play when the day grows weary
When the eve it does grow nigh
But this day I spent it grieving
For one too young to die

Here the chorus. Anyone want to put a hand to writing a few stanzas and add in tribute to a loved one lost?

Eric

Soupy1957
May-31-2008, 11:16am
emitfo:"For me writing words & songs is the only way I stay sane" (you found my secret....lol)

Playin4fun: "I'll play when the day grows weary
When the eve it does grow nigh
But this day I spent it grieving
For one too young to die"

some great stuff in there to build on..

-Soupy1957

Bob Wiegers
Jun-02-2008, 9:41am
thanks for sharing. I've got it in my notebook...we'll see if anything comes from it.

mandozilla
Jun-02-2008, 4:51pm
Have any of you song writers visited the www.bluegrass songwriter.com? It's seems to be slow in getting off the ground but I think it has good potential.The forum there would be a great place to share information and ideas with regards to bluegrass songwriting. I just found it yesterday. I have no financial interest in this website I just think it has potential as it's devoted to Bluegrass songwriting.