PDA

View Full Version : A tribute to norman and nancy, needs some help

Bob Wiegers
May-21-2008, 10:41pm
I dont know a whole lot about Norman and Nancy Blake, but I like what I hear. I've got a couple recent albums, seen a show a while ago, and just got the first guitar DVD. I'm in love with the sound. and it's cool that they're from just down the road. so I was thinking about how great it would be to make good music with the wife (she used to play guitar before health issues and such crept in), so I scratched out this little lyric (below). I'm hoping it inspires her to want to play again.

I'm putting it here to get some more ideas for this song if anyone is willing to help out. I think it could use another verse or 2, but I've reached the limit of my Norman and Nancy knowledge. any anectdotes? anything you admire about their style? any corrections or edits to this? I was thinking about trying to sneak in references to Sulphur Springs, ginsing, etc, but not sure where to fit stuff. I'll also say I dont like the phrase "steady beat" as it seems to imply a bass player, but I wasnt sure how else to phrase it. I'll keep working on it, but here it is so far:

Be My Nancy (draft) - By Bob Wiegers (and ?)

(chorus)
I'll be your Norman, if you'll be my Nancy
I'll pick out a simple tune, nothing all too fancy
If I try the melody
Will you sing sweet harmony?
If I'll be your Norman, will you be my Nancy?

Will you play a steady beat?
Sweet runs voiced in a different key.
Pick out notes that intertwine
Two hearts, one song: that's oh-so-fine

We can sing some happy songs
About our little home where we belong
Or maybe a tune about long ago
When things were simple and life was slow

I might never pick too good
But honey I hope it's understood
That if you're playing by my side
Sweet music rings out far and wide

Bob Wiegers
May-26-2008, 1:30pm
is it that bad? :-)

well here's a rough demo MP3 of me doing the song with my octave:
http://wiegersfamily.com/mp3/BeMyNancy1.mp3

Ken Olmstead
May-26-2008, 6:49pm
I think once you have it polished it will be really good! It has nice lyrics for those who are familiar with the Blakes but I think the overall meaning of the song is conveyed even if the listener does not know anything about Norman and Nancy. The octave blends well with you voice. I could see where you might want some additional bass but it does stand on its own. I think its cool that you were inspired. It is kind of funny how they just sort of come sometimes huh? Good job and thanks for hanging it out on you sleeve! Very tough to do!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif