PDA

View Full Version : Italian favorites

Curtis
May-15-2008, 2:38pm
I was recently in a vineyard cuisine restaurant and they had some pretty bad semi-live music. My background is jazz so for better or worse I can tell good standards from bad standards. In this case it was for the worst because I realized within 4 bars that the sax player simply didn't know the melodies to this toon. On the one hand bad music never killed anyone. On the other music is serious business and should be done well. I'm reminded of the magician's oath which not only has the whole don't-tell-anyone-the-secret-unless-they're-another-magician clause but ALSO has the don't-do-the-trick-unless-you-can-do-it-well-enough-as-to-not-reveal-the-secret-by-being-ba
d.

Yea so anyways my whole point is I said to myself "I can do that."

I would like to get an idea how hard it would be to put together a semi-live mandolin thing. By semi-live I mean mandolin + tracks. Most likely of the karaoke variety.

Has anyone done this?

Can anyone offer up what they would think are the top tunes for an Italian restaurant as far as mandolin goes?

How about tracks for said tunes?

I'm sure SOMEONE is doing this gig. I would love to hear from them.

JEStanek
May-16-2008, 10:26pm
I don't have specific examples but I recall Butch Baldassari having some Italian CDs. Take a look here. (http://www.soundartrecordings.com/italian.shtml)

Jamie

Curtis
May-23-2008, 11:41am
This idea is catching on with me. . .

Question. . . does anyone play to tracks here? Either "live" backing tracks or MIDI tracks. Where did you get the files? Is there a cost effective way of getting "live" tracks a la karaoke?