PDA

View Full Version : Dueling mandos

Andrew DeMarco
May-14-2008, 2:29pm
All,

I'm looking for a tab of Dueling Banjos for the mandolin.

The search function yielded some links to Jay Buckey material (going back to 2004!), specifically a free tab on his site.

However, I could not find Dueling Banjos for either banjo or mando on his site.

Anyone have that tab or another tab?

Thanks,
Linguist:)

TNFrank
May-17-2008, 1:02pm
I just figured it out but I don't have any TAB written down. The chords are all two finger and are C, G and D. All the single notes center aroung the D and A string and you start with the 2nd fret on the A string then move to 3 and 5 then 2 then 3 then open then 2 then 5 on the D string then open on the A. Work at it and I'm sure you can figure it out too.

Jim Broyles
May-17-2008, 2:21pm
When it was first recorded in 1955 by Don Reno And Arthur Smith, it featured 2 banjos. They stole it for the movie "Deliverance" and Smith sued to be recognized as the composer of the tune.

allenhopkins
May-19-2008, 4:17pm
When it was first recorded in 1955 by Don Reno And Arthur Smith, it featured 2 banjos. They stole it for the movie "Deliverance" and Smith sued to be recognized as the composer of the tune.
Smith played tenor banjo and Reno played 5-string on the original Feudin' Banjos recording, I understand. #Several bluegrass bands (Dillards, e.g.) had it in their repertoires before it became a soundtrack/radio hit.

Heard Eric Weissberg at a reception last year, talking about how he became a "big star" for recording Dueling Banjos for the movie. #After the tune became a surprise hit, he went to the record company and suggested it might be a good time for him to make a studio album, taking advantage of his new prominence. #They informed him that they'd already repackaged his early '60's album with Marshall Brickman, New Dimensions In Banjo and Bluegrass, adding the Dueling Banjos track and one other, and renaming it. #So Weissberg didn't get the additional income he might have, but the record company shrewdly made a mint out of reissuing a decade-old LP.

Arthur Smith supposedly took the money he won by suing as composer of the tune, to found CMH Records. #

And now you know THE REST OF THE STORY...

Jim Broyles
May-19-2008, 4:35pm
Thanks, Allen. I was going to delete this message because it ended up in the wrong thread. TNFrank had asked in the "Using your thumb" thread why a song called "Dueling Banjos" was half guitar, and I looked up the facts (which I knew but wanted a source) and posted it to this thread, thinking it was the one with the question.
FWIW, to me there is no mistaking the similarity of the two songs, unlike the "My Sweet Lord"/"He's So Fine" debacle, which I thought was a crock.

Chris Travers
May-20-2008, 12:51pm
Jay Buckey has it in his book if you wanna buy it. www.jaybuckey.com

TNFrank
May-20-2008, 4:44pm
It's really not that hard of a tune to pick up on.

Dave Hanson
May-21-2008, 2:07am
In James Dickeys book which the film Deliverence was based on, the city man and the hillbilly play ' Wildwood Flower ' [ guitar and banjo ]

Dave H

TNFrank
May-21-2008, 2:28pm
In James Dickeys book which the film Deliverence was based on, the city man and the hillbilly play ' Wildwood Flower ' [ guitar and banjo ]

Dave H
Hey, that's one I knew on guitar. I'll have to see if I can pick it up on mando too. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif