PDA

View Full Version : Apple blossom

Chip Booth
Apr-23-2008, 11:35am
Ok, this is a bit scary for me, but I don't want anyone to pull any punches. #Don't be nice, be honest, I'm really looking for constructive critism here. #This is my first completed effort at writing and recording a vocal song. #I have completed many instrumental pieces over the years (both good and very bad) but I've never been able to write lyrics. #This song came from a very personal place and sort of poured out over a short period of time. I'd like to know how people honestly react to it.

The idea behind this song is that it is some way a 'prequel' to Dylan's Girl of the North Country. #How pretentious is that? #But part of the inspiration came from listening to the Dylan song and saying to myself 'my story could potentialy lead me to the same place the narrator in that story has come to'. #So here is my story. #It's certainly not stricly autobiographical, but is inspired by real events.

There is a lot of mando content here. #A mandolin plays the theme (let's see if anyone recognizes this theme for the song I ripped off), and there is constant mandola and tenor guitar (in 'dola tuning) for backup. #In fact the guitar disappears entirley in the third verse, leaving only 'dola, tenor and upright bass. #

Let's see, technical details: #recorded and mixed with ProTools, probably using my AT 4050 large diaphragm condensor mic on all instruments. #Mando is my '85 Flatiron F5, 'dola is a teens Gibson A, tenor guitar is '50's Martin 18T, guitar is a '67 Martin D21, bass is a '60s Kay upright. #I played everything.

The song is interminably long, so be warned in advance. #Plus I sing, and that's rarely a good thing... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Apple Blossom (http://www.publicradioband.net/music/chipsCD/AppleBlossomMix08.mp3)

Chip

Landgrass
Apr-23-2008, 11:53am
Very nice, Chip! Don't sell your vocals short....you've got a nice set of pipes. I like the little snippets of "Blackberry Blossom" melody you threw in there. Great playing, singing and writing. Keep up the good work.

JEStanek
Apr-23-2008, 12:23pm
Your voice reminds me of Roger Waters... Certainly not the subject matter, but the timber and what not. #That's a nice song. #You sound nice there! Maybe it's just my hearing or headphones but your voice is a bit in the fog off the bass for me. #That's the only technical thing I can mention, from my extensive track production days.... of which there are none.

Jamie

edited to add: And the voice/bass thing is a very small nit to pick in an otherwise nice song but, you wanted criticisms...

Milan Christi
Apr-23-2008, 1:17pm
Sounds r-e-a-l-l-y nice to me - across the board - I have no nits. Your voice is fine - full of character.

Only critique - a bridge section would be nice.

What? No Arches?

(btw - I sent an email to your website address)

djidaho
Apr-24-2008, 12:08am
I can't nail down the melody "(theme for the song)" reminds me a little of a Michael Martin Murphy song.
Quite impressive work you've been doing latly. You seem inspired.
So is this in "D"? I've learned your "hulen's Hornpipe" and would like to learn this one!

Jean Fugal
Apr-24-2008, 12:45am
Very nice. #Don't worry about not having a bridge... It's plenty long anyway. LOL. Not necessarily a fault. #Darcy Farrow didn't have a bridge either. Keep writing. # JPF

Ken Olmstead
Apr-25-2008, 11:21pm
Length is fine. Voice kills for me, good as anybody out there in this style that is for sure! Guitar accompanyment kicks behind! Mando parts could be a little more adventurous. Sounds like you played it safe...good but safe. That is the only nit. I loved it man, honestly!!

Bernieo
Apr-27-2008, 7:35am
excellent song great recording keep the juices flowing

Bob Wiegers
Apr-28-2008, 9:48am
very nice. is that "blackberry blossom" in there?

I think it could use a chorus/bridge. I like the lyrics but the relatively simple melody of the verses needs something to break it up. something much higher on the scale, with notes held out, mournful. maybe that's just me, but I think it would bring it together. I can almost hear it in my head already.

that said, the vocals and instruments sound great over all. there's a couple times where I couldnt quite catch a word or two, but that's not unusal for me :-)

thanks so much for sharing. very inspiring. keep it up.

NewSong
May-02-2008, 11:53am
As I first began to listen, my initial impression was that the song was very enjoyable, very good. As it progressed, I must admit that I got a litte bored with it. I believe what's needed is some variation in the melody. Also, as the story reaches its climax, so too should the music. This recording maintained too even of a keel for me. I'm not talking about fancy licks, I mean there needs to be more ebb and flow; more of a connection between the lyrics and the music. Having said that, I want to re-emphasize that this song is really good already.

woodwizard
May-02-2008, 12:01pm
Pretty cool Chip. Thanks for sharing. Although I normally don't care for a country flavor/style I think you did a very good job ... singing & all.

Susan H.
May-02-2008, 12:56pm
Very nice job, Chip. #Keep up the good work. #Look forward to hearing more from you. #CD in the works?

Chip Booth
May-02-2008, 7:59pm
A big thank you for all the kind comments, and also for all the suggestions. #I am really looking for those criticisms, as I want to improve my writing skills, and I appreciate you taking the time to listen and think about it. #When I write I often get too close to the song, and it's hard to judge how it is coming together. #I will say the various comments about a bridge have caused me to re-think another song I though I had finished writing.

A few thoughts: #
Jamie, Roger Waters? #That cracks me up but I'll take it any day!

MC, I recorded this long before the arrival of the new Arches. #I really need to get a sound clip of that out there.

Mandomama, I have one CD that is mostly cover material (see link in my signature line). #I am putting together material for a new one now, and hope to include more original stuff.

You guys got it, the mandolin theme is Blackberry Blossom, just very very slow.

Thanks again folks.
Chip

Bernie Daniel
May-03-2008, 11:47am
Excellent Chip. Very very nice work -- vocal and instrumental. Keep going -- you do have real talent and something to offer too.