PDA

View Full Version : La naņita

Chip Booth
Apr-21-2008, 12:18pm
Here's a link (http://www.publicradioband.net/music/chipsCD/LaNanitaMix02.mp3) to a new tune I recorded last night. #This is a favourite lullaby of a friend's daughter, and I thought it would be fun to play it for her. #Just thought I'd share, it's something very different than I usually play. #I learned and arranged it from several diiferent recording I found on Itunes and created a Tabledit file if anyone is interested.

For the geeks (like me), it's my '85 Flatiron F5 playing the melody and chords, a newish Martin OOO28 Norman Blake fingerpicked, a '67 Martin D21 playing the melody the second time around, and finally my new Arches F5 plays the low harmony at the end. #Recorded with an AT4033 into the ProTools MBox. #A little EQ was used on the guitars, but the mandolins were unprocessed except for some verb.

Chip

JEStanek
Apr-21-2008, 5:06pm
Chip,
I really liked that lullaby. Is it OK to put it on my/our iPods?

Thanks
Jamie

Chip Booth
Apr-21-2008, 5:23pm
Do with it what you will Jamie. It's a traditional tune, and just a rough sketch of a recording. I'm glad you like it.

Chip

Steve Davis
Apr-21-2008, 6:01pm
Very nice and well-recorded as well. Thanks for the tune.

Matt Hutchinson
Apr-22-2008, 4:15am
Nicely done and played very musically. I love hearing people play slow tunes, there's so much breakneck speed mandolin playing out there (which does impress me I have to admit) but it's good to hear something gentle and melodic played well too.

Matt

Curtis
Apr-23-2008, 7:25am
That sounds great. Did you do the guitar part as well?

Nevermind I actually read your post. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Curtis
Apr-23-2008, 9:25am
I keep listening to it. It gets better each time. Do you have other tunes available that you recorded?

leathermarshmallow
Apr-23-2008, 9:40am
That is awsome! I like to try to put several tracks of my music together, but I don't have the right stuff evidently. Yours sounds so much better than mine.

Greg

Chip Booth
Apr-23-2008, 11:14am
Thanks for the kind words everyone, I'm glad your enjoying it. #Mostly I wanted to share the song, as I thought it was interesting and beautiful, and not something I had come in contact with before.

Curtis, I've posted a number of tunes to the Cafe before, but I'd have to do a search to dig up the links. #Perhaps I'll start a new thread with some of them combined into one. In the meantime, check out the links in my signature, they all have clips or complete songs of mine, especially the MySpace page.

Greg, I am a big fan of ProTools and AT mics, though there are a lot of other good mics and recording tools out there. #A basic 2 input ProTools rig with an AT3030 large diaphragm condensor would run well under a thousand dollars, and with the right set of recording skills you can produce very high quality recordings. #Even with simple gear it's really all about having a good acoustic environment to record in, and just doing your best to listen and get the best sound out of the gear you have available. #That being said, I did almosty none of those things on this recording! #This is what I think of as a "scratch pad" recording where my goal is to think through the arrangment and develop the parts. I play sitting in my desk chair a few feet from a noisy humming computer and am not very particular about mic placement. #With mandolins that tends to work out ok, I find mic placement is not as critical as it is for guitar. #I almost always get help when I record guitar for real, someone who can really listen as we move the mic around. #I recorded this all by myself, so the mic placement was the best I could quickly find through headphones, but it's still pretty hit and miss as to whether you get a good sound that way.

Anyway, just keep at it with the gear you have availabale, ask questions, get help when you can, and above all remember that any recording is more about the performance than the gear or the sound.

Chip

Bob Wiegers
Apr-23-2008, 2:22pm
very very nice all around. thanks for sharing.