PDA

View Full Version : Easy practice tune for tremolo....

Sandy Beckler
Mar-30-2008, 9:39pm
Could someone suggest an easy practice tune for tremolo, perhaps in tab or TablEdit.
Maybe something that you use or have used to begin incorporating tremolo into your repertoire.

Thanks Sanchan http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Jonathan Peck
Mar-31-2008, 1:09pm
For tremelo w/o doublestops, you could try Lonesome Moonlight Waltz. With doublestops, there's White Dove for starters. Although you may find some versions in the key of E and F it might be worth learning both.

billkilpatrick
Mar-31-2008, 1:15pm
"o sole mio" - otherwise known as "it's now or never" when elvis did it.

play along here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOJYeCCTQws&feature=related

piknleft
Mar-31-2008, 4:58pm
I warm up on Ashoken Farewell.

Andrew Lewis
Mar-31-2008, 11:37pm
Butch Baldassari's recording of Pass Me Not.

250sc
Apr-01-2008, 6:51am
Try North Shore my J. Reichman. You can find it on mandozine.

Ken Olmstead
Apr-01-2008, 12:28pm
I might suggest christmas melodies. The advantage is that you know them so well, you can guage if your tremolo is having the desired effect. I know that working on christmas music this year really bumped my tremolo up a notch. Just a suggestion.

tkdboyd
Apr-01-2008, 1:14pm
"Bury Me Beneath The Willow" using double stops in G xx53 xx73 xx23, C x53x x73x x23x, G xx53 xx73 xx23,D x75x. After the D I walk a G arpeggio back up to start the tremolo again. Then finish the D dble stop with an open D 5,4,0, 2,4,5 (all D string) then I usually arppegiate (new word?) my way back to the G on the E at the 3 fret. (This is from memory and don't have a mandolin in front of me so I could easily be way off!)

Where I jam they usually do it faster so the tremolo doesn't always work very well. But is a good double stop and tremolo practice when the song is done slowly. However John Duffey on the "Country Songs, Old and New" album does some tremolo work at a much higher speed.

lespaul_79
Apr-01-2008, 1:29pm
Kentucky Waltz - Doc and Dawg or Monroe. Easy and in D, I think.
Summertime from Doc and Dawg too.

Tone Poems has some great mellow stuff. Grandfather's Clock, Banks of the Ohio, O Solo Mio (as mentioned above), Dawg after Dark.

Garcia/Grisman - Friend of the Devil in G, Russian Lullaby in Dm, Rocking Chair, Dawg's Waltz,...

Reminds me that I need to go home and play to all these songs myself....:D

Might as well just pick any Grisman ballad/waltz and "fan" awayyyyyyy....

earthsave
Apr-02-2008, 11:01am
For tremelo w/o doublestops, you could try Lonesome Moonlight Waltz. With doublestops, there's White Dove for starters. Although you may find some versions in the key of E and F it might be worth learning both.
Ditto on Lonesome Moonlight Waltz. You only use need to use index and middle finger, but it sure can sound sweet.

Not sure where to get the tab. I got mine from Mike Compton.

Perry
Apr-02-2008, 11:14am
Pick a simple melody you like.

The Christmas Tune suggestion is a good one. Familiarity does help with self assessment.

I like Wayfaring Stranger (although you may not regonize the name, you know the melody) as a good tremelo tune.

Really you can just play any single string note as the technique is all right hand. Play your tremolo to a metronome beat where you are picking a triplet at first (da-da-da) to every one click. Then as the speed increases the triplet sort of becomes blurred though your tremelo now has a pulse to it.

Then work on tremoling two strings at once; doublestops.

earthsave
Apr-02-2008, 12:42pm
Ditto on Lonesome Moonlight Waltz. #You only use need to use index and middle finger, but it sure can sound sweet.

Not sure where to get the tab. #I got mine from Mike Compton.
I was thinking of the Old Lonesome Waltz. I get those Lonesome waltzes mixed up sometimes.

DryBones
Apr-02-2008, 3:12pm
heck, just work up and down the scales for practice with the tremelo http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

JeffD
Apr-04-2008, 10:51pm
Marilynn Mair's book has several good tunefull exercises for getting and practicing tremolo.

NoNickel
Apr-04-2008, 11:05pm
I would agree with Johnathan on Lonesome Moonlight Waltz. Another cool one to try is Monroe's The First Whipporwill.