PDA

View Full Version : Free music (worth every cent!)

breezecookie
Mar-12-2008, 3:22pm
I've moved to a no-profit-no-expense business model (which is a fancy way of saying I'm giving it away!). #I've put together a "MySpace EP" of six songs that are free for listening and even for downloading if you're on MySpace. #The tunes are here:
www.myspace.com/snapapplestringsociety

The mandolin is a new-ish Eastman 504 that still sounds pretty green. #I'm open to suggestions for better ways of recording mando- this is into a Behringer B-1 (cheap) condenser mic at about 12" aimed at the twentieth fret, give or take.

Any feedback is appreciated (just don't be TOO mean or I'll make you listen to six more!).

David

PS- "Rabbit and the Pretty Barmaid" has the highest percentage of mando content, fwiw.

Jim Broyles
Mar-12-2008, 4:22pm
Most of it is really nice. I think I detected a sync issue between the mandolin and the rhythm guitar on "Rabbit and the Pretty Barmaid," early in the tune. Try your mic closer to the sound hole. It doesn't sound bad, but I think it would be better, although I have never miked an oval hole mandolin. When I do mic my f hole model, the mic is pointing slightly downhill, aimed at the area between the bridge and the treble f hole at about 8".

breezecookie
Mar-12-2008, 5:22pm
Yikes! Yep- that was more an "internal metronome error," but it has now been judiciously edited out. I'll try moving the mic closer to the hole. If it's *too* close (which I've also done), then the sound is really "in your face" and there's not much air to it. Ideally, I suppose, I'd have a close mic and a further "ambient noise" mic on it. I'll just keep experimenting. 8" sounds like a good distance.

Thanks so much for listening and for the advice!

David

JEStanek
Mar-12-2008, 7:18pm
David,
Those sound pretty nice. I've put them on my i-Pod. I did like the Rabbit and the Pretty Barmaid. Thanks for posting them up for us.

Jamie